The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Water in cylinders. Cracked block?? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224773)

PatrickTA 07-15-2017 09:33 PM

Water in cylinders. Cracked block??

Hello
So I keep getting water in the cylinders. I've replaced the head gasket 3 times and used both the copper and the modern head gaskets. And I still get a small water leak into cylinders 2 and 3. I'm not sure how this keeps happening. I've checked the head, had it decked, maged the block and the head, using grade 8 studs and nuts.
I'm beginning to think I've got a cracked block. Maybe In the valve ports? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Mike V. Florida 07-15-2017 10:39 PM

Re: Water in cylinders. Cracked block??

Maybe the head, maybe not enough torque/torqued enough times. Maybe warped head or block.

Could be a lot of things.

If we knew where you lived there maybe a fordbarner near by or a local Model A club that could lend a hand.

Railcarmover 07-15-2017 11:12 PM

"maged" the head and block? do you mean it was magnafluxed?

Y-Blockhead 07-15-2017 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Railcarmover (Post 1499902)
"maged" the head and block? do you mean it was magnafluxed?

That was my first thought. If the block and head were "maged", that should have shown that they were cracked or not? :p:p

Chuck Sea/Tac 07-16-2017 12:06 AM

Were they checked with a machinist level? Have you tried to pressurize either the water system ( if the radiator is connected only a few pounds of pressure) or pressurizie the cylinders involved, and watch for bubbles in the radiator? If you can borrow a block tester like shiners sells, that's a great way to test for cracks. Both clubs I belong to have one in their tool library, and I just got one for my own personal use.

Wick 07-16-2017 04:50 AM

Try another head is what I would do because your getting water in both cylinders.

Tom Wesenberg 07-16-2017 06:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you're looking for a replacement block, I have one for you. LOL

When you buy a block at an auction, there's usually a good reason it isn't still in a car.

jm29henry 07-16-2017 08:02 AM

Listen to mike and wick !!! My money is on there advice

100IH 07-16-2017 08:28 AM

Yes, if the block has been in the chassis the whole time, magnaflux can miss a crack because of oil, carbon or simply lack of access. Pressure testing can be done more successfully with the above hurdles and magnaflux might actually find small hairline issues that are not yet a problem, but only if the casting has been stripped down and cleaned. Having useable babbit can be a problem when trying to use the best cleaning methods, so in your case, go bare block and with a different head.

Patrick L. 07-16-2017 08:31 AM

Next time the head is off, try a torch. Just slowly wave the torch anywhere you think there could be a problem. If there is a crack that'll usually find it.

jw hash 07-16-2017 08:35 AM

I had the same problem. my Vicky was foaming out the radiator cap on any kind of pull just enough to piss me off. I has the head milled a went to the modern gasket and it was a little better. then some of the boys told me about the head gasket that they picked up at Bert`s made by Best, I stalled one. end of problem. I have been hearing more and more of the modern gasket leaking. just my two cents

note if the are running a B head make sure you are using a B gasket.

BILL WILLIAMSON 07-16-2017 11:58 AM

Just for the HECK of it, I'd try Old Fashioned Bars-Leaks & see what happens????
Bill Guessing?

Railcarmover 07-16-2017 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1500109)
Just for the HECK of it, I'd try Old Fashioned Bars-Leaks & see what happens????
Bill Guessing?

Or if your getting the car judged,use oatmeal and pepper for the 'period correct' repair.

Chuck Sea/Tac 07-16-2017 01:38 PM

I hit a deer sliding to a stop from 80mph at night on a country road, in my dads 66 rambler wagon. It took out the radiator, so I limped two miles to the general store/post office/service station, ect and bought a large can of pepper, of which I emptied the entire contents into the radiator.As it was a big leak. Got me twenty some miles home. However the pepper also plugged the heater and it ended up being replaced as well.

PatrickTA 07-16-2017 09:05 PM

So for an update and more info. It's a high compression head. older engine with a quite a bit of miles. I did magnaflux both the head and the block. I am beginning to think the block is warped or has a small crack the magnaflux couldn't see. And I torqued the head to 60-65 pounds in the proper sequence and returqued the next day.

Railcarmover 07-16-2017 09:22 PM

http://diyford.com/inspect-ford-flat...ltimate-guide/

this is based on V8's but it gives you some ideas..

Chuck Sea/Tac 07-17-2017 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickTA (Post 1500361)
So for an update and more info. It's a high compression head. older engine with a quite a bit of miles. I did magnaflux both the head and the block. I am beginning to think the block is warped or has a small crack the magnaflux couldn't see. And I torqued the head to 60-65 pounds in the proper sequence and returqued the next day.

So are you checking for warping???

jax55 07-17-2017 08:00 PM

Tom, looks like a lightening strike! Bad spot for a crack unless you have the skills to weld it.