The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   poor gas milage question (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187543)

woodrow 01-22-2016 11:48 AM

poor gas milage question

1 Attachment(s)
Our '30 Model A coupe gets really poor gas mileage. I haven't recorded the miles driven, however after putting in several gallons and driving only a few miles I see that I have only about 2 gallons in the tank. I have the choke rod screwed all the way in for starting and driving. I know the car doesn't leak in the garage or my wife would be letting me know about that. She has a sense of smell that would rival any good bird dog. The car starts and runs great and I'm not a carburetor person by any means. Any suggestions on how to "make it right" would be appreciated. A picture of the carb is attached. Thanks

burner31 01-22-2016 11:53 AM

Re: poor gas milage question

Pull your plugs and see what they look like.
Nice white/tan is good, black and sooty is bad.

Bob C 01-22-2016 12:03 PM

Get rid of the air cleaner.

Bob

burner31 01-22-2016 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 1228217)

Bob

I put an air cleaner on my A when I first got it, I no longer have the air cleaner...lesson learned

Jerry Kzoo 01-22-2016 12:26 PM

It does not say where you are from, but it is good that you are out driving your car. It is not necessarily normal to start and drive your car with the GAV closed. Jets inside the carb control the amount of fuel and those jets are too big in many instances causing lower gas mileage. I am not sure how you are knowing that you only have a couple of gallons of gas left, but your float could be starting to sink. I would verify with a stick if you do not have a spark arrestor in your gas tank by putting some gas in the tank and then going for a 20 mile drive and checking again against what your gas gauge is saying.

Jerry

19tudor29 01-22-2016 12:35 PM

As I read this, you have not done an accurate mileage check. Top off tank, drive at least 100 miles, fill up and do calculation. Then give us the number. I get about 13 just hacking around on short trips of 10 miles or less which is the worst type of driving when looking for good mileage.

DJ S 01-22-2016 12:36 PM

None of our Model As get all that great gas mileage, roughly around 13-15 MPG.

1929 01-22-2016 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob C (Post 1228217)

Bob

Just curious, why get rid of the air cleaner, isn't it needed?

oldredford 01-22-2016 12:49 PM

With everything running 100% my 1930 coupe gets 21 mpg. Check numerous times. At 50 mph and open roads it never drops below 20, been that way for the past 10 years. Plugs are nice golden tan color.

DJ S 01-22-2016 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1929 (Post 1228238)

It's not needed, these cars didn't come with air cleaners, it's an aftermarket part.

captndan 01-22-2016 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1929 (Post 1228238)

My question also.

H. L. Chauvin 01-22-2016 01:07 PM

Not trying to be funny ......... but ......... if the above suggestions do not appear helpful, maybe look at it this way:

A. You just bought a new house which has a radio.

B. When the radio is turned "ON", you can just barely hear it with your ear on the speaker.

C. To remedy this questionable situation, you have maybe about (3) choices:

1. Go to this Forum's "Search" ....... and/or ........ obtain manuals to try to learn how to repair and/or recondition the radio yourself.

2. Have someone else look at, dismantle, analyze, and try to repair this radio.

3. Buy a new or used, reconditioned working radio.

In reality, it appears it is always difficult to guess at unseen solutions from miles away.

Others may have additional suggestions that may or may not help.

J Franklin 01-22-2016 01:09 PM

An air filter is a good thing BUT the carburetor needs to be "balanced" so it can do its job and not affect your milage.

The heavy cars get worse milage than roadsters. but you should be able to get 16-20 MPG out of a properly tuned car with a good carb. Drive like you have a raw egg on the gas pedal under your foot and milage goes up. Slow down and the MPG improves greatly.

1929 01-22-2016 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ S (Post 1228244)
It's not needed, these cars didn't come with air cleaners, it's an aftermarket part.

I thought it was standard equipment, because every Model A Ive seen has one.

burner31 01-22-2016 01:32 PM

I never figured my gas mileage, really don't care, I'm going to drive her if I get 8 or 80 mpg.
That goes for the price of gas too, .50 or 5.00,...don't really care.

H. L. Chauvin 01-22-2016 01:36 PM

Overall size and amounts of "free air" passages through any particular air filter is of utmost importance for performance efficiency of an internal combustion engine ....... or even that of an air compressor and/or an air-conditioner filter in a residence.

Small Model A paper filters usually never give reasonable performance ..... especially when later plugged with dirt.

My "supposedly heavier" 1930 Briggs Town Sedan gets a constant 20 MPG in stop & go traffic with a "Hi-Boy" arrangement combined with an "oversized" K & N air filter; i.e., K & N Model No. R-1050, 3-1/2" outside diameter (OD) x 6" high.

Neither of my A nor B carburetors tried have added balancing tubes.

burner31 01-22-2016 01:36 PM

Here's another thing.
I put the air filter on thinking that she needed one and it would be the smart thing to do.
After a while the the car started running like crap and the intake became ice cold.
Took the filter off...and the problems all went away.
Just make sure you change your oil as you should.

woodrow 01-22-2016 01:44 PM

The car is located in Texas, about 40 miles north of Houston. I removed the spark arrester and used a stick to check the remaining fuel and the stick showed 3/4" of gas remaining. The gas gauge shows almost 0. I'll take the suggestion of removing the air filter, check the plugs, and see what happens and report back. Sure do appreciate all the good suggestions. Thanks. This a very good learning site.

TDO 01-22-2016 01:48 PM

AS far as the air cleaner goes. I use a K&N which is big enough not to restrict the air flow. also I run a B carb. and I get 18 mpg with or with out the filter. My opinion on the filter, dusty conditions with out an air filter would be like running sand paper up and down your cylinder walls. There's all ways dust in the air no matter how small the particles are.

quickchange 01-22-2016 01:54 PM

Jeeezzze what you complaining about ?? at under a $1 a gallon . think of us poor buggers at $8.00 a gallon . Oh by the way I get 25 miles per gallon on a B carb & friend gets 28mpg with the weber carb, However a gallon in NZ is BIGGER than a Texas gallon, advise , insure timing correct, Get rid of the air cleaner , Be over your way in few months , happy to call in & check it out .