The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Shipping cost (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11104)

Domino 08-18-2010 11:28 AM

Shipping cost

The USP sevice regularly advertises their "flat rate" shipping which is quite reasonable. My question is: Does any of the major venders such as Mac's. Bratton's, Mike's, Synder's etc. (none left out intentionally) ship via flat rate. It seems to me that this is a viable shipping venue for many small parts and would save both the shipper and customer a few bucks as the "flat rate" boxes are provided free by the post office. I am very grateful that we have parts available at reasonable cost but beleive that for small items this should be considered. Perhaps thereis a packing problem associated with shipping, anyway am curious as to why "flat rate"
is not more frequently used.

Ron in Quincy 08-18-2010 12:04 PM

Re: Shipping cost

Al Lepore, A&L, always used USPS Flat rate box to send ordered items to me. Don't know why other suppliers don't use this service as its more reasonable than UPS or FED-X.

Rowdy 08-18-2010 12:05 PM

Brattons shipped some parts for me last year with the UPS flatrate. Took forever for it to get here it seemed, but was cheaper. Rod

Steve Wastler 08-18-2010 12:06 PM

I don't know the answer to your question, but I know when i don't pick up my parts at Bratton's they send them fed ex.:)

Rowdy 08-18-2010 12:11 PM

You are right, it was Fed-ex. Just went to the shop after your post and looked at the box. Still took nearly 12 days for it to arrive. Rod

Mike V. Florida 08-18-2010 12:18 PM

"If it fits it ships" Free boxes, on line payment gives you an additional discount and free delivery confirmation.

Tom Endy 08-18-2010 12:35 PM

USPS flat rate is an excelent way to ship things. I have used it numerous times without difficulty. I have found that delivery time is only a few days.

The reason some of the suppliers don't want to use it is because if the shipment does not arrive or is stolen from your front door step the post office does not react in a positive manner. I am told they will do nothing about it for 30 days, then is delt with in a bureaucratic manner. My experience has been that some suppliers will use the service only if the dollar amount is low.

Tom Endy

Keith True 08-18-2010 01:05 PM

Tom,you're being very polite when saying the post office does not respond in a positive manner.I have had a few problems,and while the local post office workers were polite and tried to help,they went through the manual and did everything by the book.Then the complaint is out of their hands and goes off into never-never land.I was told the reason the vendors don't use the PO system much is that after everything is packed somebody has to take it to the PO before it closes.That can mean a 20 mile or more round trip for the paid help.The local delivery trucks can not carry the amount of packages that goes out of a business in a day.If you look at UPS truck routes you will see that they serve businesses that send out a lot near the end of their run.They need to deliver most of their packages before they can load up too many.Where I am,the mail is delivered by local carriers with their own cars.They get done with their routes after the PO closes,so they go straight home after they are done delivering.If you need a package picked up you need to make arrangements beforehand.There is a local handicapped woman that sells jewelry and trinkets online.For years she used the PO.She would box up 60-80 boxes and take them down to the PO every day.Most of the time there was simply not enough time in the day to process her packages and they would build up in the PO until things were slow enough to get to them.She changed to UPS because they picked up at her home every day between 5-6 PM.

JoeWay 08-18-2010 01:10 PM

What Tom said.

I will add that USPS tracking (the flat rate packages are all Priority Mail, which is supposed to be tracked) is a complete joke. I have shipped packages both in and out of the US where the only entry that ever showed up in USPS tracking was the one generated by my Click-N-Ship online transaction. That entry does not constitute proof that USPS even has the package, so if any of these had been lost I'm pretty sure the USPS response would have been "Sorry--you must not have given it to us."

Recently I learned that the clerk at the post office can produce a Prepaid Package Acceptance receipt. My wife gets one when she takes a Click-N-Ship package to the post office. If I put one in the mailbox, I attach a note for Dave the Mailman to please do one for me, and he brings it the next day. This adds an entry to tracking the afternoon of the mailing that proves the PO has it.

Joe

Ray64 08-18-2010 01:40 PM

I recently sent my Nephew a pound of Beef Jerky.The post office delivered to the next door neighbor and they ate it.LOL Darned Neighbors

Mike V. Florida 08-18-2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith True (Post 63820)
Where I am,the mail is delivered by local carriers with their own cars.They get done with their routes after the PO closes,so they go straight home after they are done delivering..

This was brought up before and will once again state that it is against federal law to bring mail home. They will face prison if they do!!!

How did UPS know to go to her home? Did she "...need to make arrangements beforehand."?

dmaxweb 08-18-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 63774)
The USP sevice regularly advertises their "flat rate" shipping which is quite reasonable. My question is: Does any of the major venders such as Mac's. Bratton's, Mike's, Synder's etc. (none left out intentionally) ship via flat rate. It seems to me that this is a viable shipping venue for many small parts and would save both the shipper and customer a few bucks as the "flat rate" boxes are provided free by the post office. I am very grateful that we have parts available at reasonable cost but beleive that for small items this should be considered. Perhaps thereis a packing problem associated with shipping, anyway am curious as to why "flat rate"
is not more frequently used.

Bert's in Denver uses USPS flat rate boxes with no 'handling charge' as some others. I live in Virginia and normally only takes 2 days. Also, they charge only actual cost for other methods of shipping - again, no packaging or handling fees. Above all, they are extremely knowledgeble and helpful!

Keith True 08-18-2010 03:53 PM

They don't take mail home.They deliver,and they do drop letters into the outside box after the office is closed.That is the reason you have to make arrangements to have packages picked up.The reason the carriers don't pick up packages is they are not done with their routes before the PO is closed.My mail gets here at about 6 PM.If you have a package to send they will send somebody out to get it,but it is easier to drive there than it is to wait.I really doubt they have been doing anything illegal for the last 50 years or so.The jewelry lady is now on the regular UPS pickup route.She lives on the hand delivery route,(mailbag)so the carrier picking up her stuff is not an option.We don't have PO owned delivery vehicles,the carriers are paid mileage for their own cars.For years the Chevy Citations were popular as they were easy to drive from the right side.Now the carriers are buying old PO Jeeps,and RHD Saturn wagons.

cars56 08-18-2010 03:58 PM

What is up with handling cost?
I ordered a 1930 owners manual from one of our suppliers
Between shipping and handling it was more than the book

Frank Nemo 08-18-2010 04:10 PM

The other day I ordered a central vacuum power unit that weighs 50 lbs. Is roughly 15 by 40 inches and has a value of $399. To my surprise it is being shipped via USPS. Shipping charge is $24. I thought for sure it would be shipped by UPS. How do you figure?

Mike V. Florida 08-18-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith True (Post 63905)
They don't take mail home.They deliver,and they do drop letters into the outside box after the office is closed.That is the reason you have to make arrangements to have packages picked up.The reason the carriers don't pick up packages is they are not done with their routes before the PO is closed.My mail gets here at about 6 PM.If you have a package to send they will send somebody out to get it,but it is easier to drive there than it is to wait.I really doubt they have been doing anything illegal for the last 50 years or so.The jewelry lady is now on the regular UPS pickup route.She lives on the hand delivery route,(mailbag)so the carrier picking up her stuff is not an option.We don't have PO owned delivery vehicles,the carriers are paid mileage for their own cars.For years the Chevy Citations were popular as they were easy to drive from the right side.Now the carriers are buying old PO Jeeps,and RHD Saturn wagons.

As a postal employee I can tell you that they are not following postal regulations if they will not pick up packages with there own cars. If they can drop off mail at 6pm they can drop off packages at 6pm. I'll ask again, if you give me the zip code I'll report it to the postmaster and report back to you what is said.

Ross/Kzoo 08-19-2010 01:46 PM

I just shipped some parts back to an individual today. The parts weighed 3 lbs. and I shipped Parcel Post for $7.50. Flat rate box would have been $10.50. Guess which one I used.

There is also a Flat Rate Book charge for reading material which shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg.

James Rogers 08-19-2010 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Endy (Post 63810)
USPS flat rate is an excelent way to ship things. I have used it numerous times without difficulty. I have found that delivery time is only a few days.

The reason some of the suppliers don't want to use it is because if the shipment does not arrive or is stolen from your front door step the post office does not react in a positive manner. I am told they will do nothing about it for 30 days, then is delt with in a bureaucratic manner. My experience has been that some suppliers will use the service only if the dollar amount is low.

Tom Endy

Tom, I don't know about your usps but, here the mail deliverer leaves a pink ticket in your box and you have to go to the post office to pick it up. Is it different there?

JoeWay 08-19-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross/Kzoo (Post 64344)
...I shipped Parcel Post for $7.50. Flat rate box would have been $10.50. Guess which one I used...

Parcel Post, or sometimes they call it Standard Mail, is a crapshoot. It is the last thing they handle. I have had Parcel Post packages take weeks to arrive--one box from Florida took 30 days to get to California. I never use it.

The extra three bucks is a bargain, given the difference in handling.

Joe

CCWKen 08-19-2010 07:14 PM

I agree with Joe. There's a huge difference between Parcel Post and Priority Mail. While I've never had a parcel rate package take more than about 12 days to receive or deliver, you can't beat Priority Mail service. I've sent packages to Alaska using USPS Flat Rate and the person received the package on the THIRD day! The same for Hawaii. I can't remember a package ever taking more than three days to be delivered in the US.

I'm out in the sticks so for me to send a UPS or FedEx package, it's a 50 or 60 mile round trip (respectively) to the nearest drop site. I can drop mail off in my little 2-light town in about 6 miles round trip.