The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model-A (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Stuck clutch (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14236)

01-01-1970 12:00 AM

Stuck clutch

Help! I have a stuck clutch.The vehicle has sat for 10 years.runs fine.wont shift.I have read past posts mentioning this. Does anyone have specific how-to instructions.I have a tow dolly will it loosen if I tow it around in gear? what gear is better if you are trying to push it around/...Help!

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">

If you put the front bumper against a tree, put the

trans. in 3rd. gear, push in the clutch, and hit the starter, it may come loose. Try jumping with a 12 volt battery for extra torque. That's how I unstuck the clutch on a 1952 Desoto once.

Re: unstick clutch

Try letting car idle, depress clutch, with your left hand on key and right on shifter shut off key and almost immediately snap shifter into 3d gear and turn key back on as soon as in gear.

Larry

Re: If you put the front bumper against a tree, put the

Put the car rear on jack stands. Then start the car in high gear. Run the engine at fast idle and tromp the brakes several times ,nearly stalling the engine - should break the clutch loose from flywheel about the fifth or sixth time. Harry/Kansas

That also sounds good. Be sure to have the clutch

depressed when hitting the brake.

If nothing else works,

... pull off the inspection plate and spray the clutch down liberally with WD40. Let it soak.

Worst stuck clutch I ever had, I had already decided to pull the transmission and thought I might as well try freeing it up with penetrant.

Came back a week later, and it was as free as if it had never had a problem. Truck still runs fine on that same clutch.

I usually just start the car in gear with the clutch in. Normally that will break it loose ... had one day before yesterday.

I know spraying WD40 sounds like the last thing you'd want to do ... it is, but you'll be surprized at the results.

Re: If nothing else works,

I filled a jar with the contents of a leaking WD40 can for storage for later use.

Went back a year later to get some of the stuff and it had evaporated. No Residue was left in the jar.

Easy, cheap way, but takes time...

Use a board of the correct length to jam between the clutch pedal and the bottom of the fuel tank, in such a way as to keep the pedal depressed. Check back every few days and see if the clutch plate has come loose. Sometimes overnight will do it, sometimes a couple weeks. Takes patience, but no work. Have done this several times with Model As and with my '79 Trans Am which doesn't get driven much.

Chuck

Re: Stuck clutch

Put the rear wheels up on a floor jack. Start the car and run at about 1500 RPM. Put it is gear and hold the clutch pedal down. Then have someone quickly drop the jack to the floor. I have broken free stuck clutches like this. May take more than one try.

I assume the car should be pointing towards an open area when this proceedure is tried.

And NOT in reverse!

I have towed a Model A with a strap, in gear, clutch pedal to the floor, & ignition off. The strain of the driveshaft/trans, etc. turning the engine against compression has broken it loose. Obviously, it requires two people.