The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Distributor shaft is squeaking (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225272)

KK66 07-23-2017 12:58 PM

Distributor shaft is squeaking

Hi, i have a problem on my 28 Model A Roadster, sometimes the distributor shaft starts to squeaking i put already some drops of oil in the oiler but it didn't became better. It comes and goes, for some miles there is nothing and than it starts again. What kan i do?
Thanks for your help
Regards from Europe
Karl

daveymc29 07-23-2017 02:22 PM

Re: Distributor shaft is squeaking

I drilled a hole in the slotted screw on the top of the shaft and cross drilled the shaft below the screw so oil put through the screw can get to the bushing. Works for me. Oil it maybe twice a year or anytime I have the rotor off.

Kurt in NJ 07-23-2017 02:28 PM

The oiler needs to be filled, the owners instruction book says so, only the generator and throttle gets a few drops----the crankhole bearing gets oil flowed into it to lube the spring seat----I uesd to only do a few drops like most cars----but then when I filled it good and full i noticed slight oil dampness at the top bushing later after running ---no need for modifications if lubed by the book

JBill 07-23-2017 03:21 PM

Most vendors carry the screw and shaft that Davey mentions, but of course you'd need to do some disassembly to install it. Keep oiling it. They're a pretty tight fit in there but the oil will get in eventually. Or not!

JOHN CT 07-23-2017 03:35 PM

What type of oil are you using? Is the oil too thin? With the heat of the motor maybe the oil is just flowing out of the bearing.

H. L. Chauvin 07-23-2017 08:19 PM

Hi Karl,

A. If your distributor bushings for the distributor shaft were not reamed with one "long" bushing reaming tool, (which aligns both the top bushing and the bottom bushing concentrically), either the top bushing or the bottom bushing, or both distributor bushings could be possibly misaligned; and,

B. If so, this misalignment could cause the distributor shaft to bind on only a smaller surface of the bushing(s) when rotating; and,

C. If your distributor shaft is binding as such with no amount of small clearance, enough heat can be generated to cause your metal distributor shaft to expand, bind, and squeak.

D. Also, if your distributor shaft is binding, and if enough heat is generated to make your distributor shaft squeak, your oil pump and distributor drive gear below may have lots of frictional stress and this delicate gear could wear quickly.

E. With such a "possible" distributor shaft and bushing(s) misalignment, it would not be a bad idea to remove your distributor and distributor shaft and investigate if there is sufficient binding to cause this distributor shaft to mechanically malfunction.

F. While disassembled, with distributor shaft removed, never a bad idea to check to see if the distributor oil hole is not plugged where oil can easily lubricate the distributor shaft.

Pinesdune 07-23-2017 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KK66 (Post 1503335)
Hi, i have a problem on my 28 Model A Roadster, sometimes the distributor shaft starts to squeaking i put already some drops of oil in the oiler but it didn't became better. It comes and goes, for some miles there is nothing and than it starts again. What kan i do?

Thanks for your help

Regards from Europe

Karl

Simple question, you say you put oil in the oiler, did you also oil the top bushing? The oiler only supplies oil to the lower one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John 07-23-2017 09:07 PM

I find that the oil passage thru the distributor is frequently plugged and does not allow oil to enter the bushings even when put in the oiler on the side of the distributor. I always check and clean the oiler and oil passage along with installing new bushings when overhauling distributors.

H. L. Chauvin 07-23-2017 09:39 PM

Hi Karl,

One (1) most important suggestion I think we all did not stress enough in suggesting a very positive answer to your one (1) single question.... "What can I do? ... is:

A. Quit running your Model A engine with such a noisy squeak and immediately remove your distributor and distributor shaft to try to find exactly "what" is causing this squeak.

B. Verify a clear oil passage to the shaft, bushing alignment, and report what you observe.

C. With all of us thus far not being able to see or hear what you have from miles away, and with all of our guessing at the exact problem, by continuing to run your engine, you could cause more damage than any of us could ever imagine.

D. Please let us know what you see, hear, and find after looking "all" around under the hood ..... a mechanical stethoscope may find something different.

JohnLaVoy 07-24-2017 08:56 AM

You might start on a distributor rebuild so you have one ready to install. We had a shaft seize on the distributor and sheer the tang off that drives the distributor so you then have to change the drive gear in addition to rebuilding the distributor. The shaft with the oiling provision is the way to go.

H. L. Chauvin 07-24-2017 10:27 AM

Hi Karl,

At your location, we have no idea what Model A catalogs you have on hand, or where you buy available parts; however, in Bert's catalog, (Part no. A-12178-D) can be researched on line where you can see the popular recommended "drilled" upper distributor shaft mentioned herein above.

We are all familiar with hearing lots of "squeaks" here in the U.S. ..... but none of us have any idea what a "squeak" far away overseas would sound like like ... please let us know what you find ..... we will be all ears!

KK66 07-24-2017 02:10 PM

Thanks a lot for al these answers! It's a plasure to bekame so much help.
I used thin universal oil and i never oiled the top bushing seperat. I will do it and try again! I will keep you informed.
Regards Karl

Brentwood Bob 07-24-2017 02:36 PM

use same weight motor oil, and the suggestion to install a modified shaft for the upper bushing oiling is the recommendation. Light weight oil isn't heavy enough as you have learned.
I have a rebuilt distributor run on the car which I carry in the car as a backup. When you rebuild the distributor it will have to be retimed to the car.
I burnish the bushings when I fit them to the housing.
Bob

KK66 07-25-2017 12:41 PM

I am away from home for the next days so i can not try it and give a response yet.
I will keep you informed! Thanks.
Karl

KK66 08-06-2017 09:09 AM

Hi together,
I opend my distributor today take away the upper plate but there is no way to oil the upper bushing. Is it only possible with a modified shaft??
So i put it together and fill again some drops of oil in the oiler, engine oil as i learned, and let the engine run für some minutes, at the moment its noisless. Testdrive was not possible because we have hard rain today
I hope weather became better in the next days and i can take her out on the road, hopefully it works!
Regards Karl

Big hammer 08-06-2017 10:30 AM

Keep the oiler full for awhile! Then add oil each engine oil change!

Jacksonlll 08-06-2017 10:42 AM

Your upper bushing may already be worn to much. Grab your cam and pull and push it toward and away from the points. If it moves at all, put in new bushings. An easy job. Then put in the fix to oil the upper bushing. I have seen the cam get so hot that it melted the point rubbing block. Take it out and fix it.

Kurt in NJ 08-06-2017 11:57 AM

just a few drops is not enough to lube the upper bushing, the owners instrution book calls for filling it, take the oil can and squirt it full, then go for a drive

Roger V 08-06-2017 02:55 PM

My understanding is the top bushing will get oil by capillary action (rises) unless the hole is plugged or as Kurt says not enough oil. If this was an issue Ford engineering would have redesigned it like other parts, bail clip mount for instance.

mike657894 08-06-2017 09:32 PM

you will probably need to "get into it" at some time and clean it or rebuild parts of the dizzy. but for now I recommend spraying some white silcone in and around till it stops squeaking to save what parts you can.