The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Problems Setting Valve Lash (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248829)

57ChevyWagonMan 08-01-2018 06:54 PM

Problems Setting Valve Lash

I am in the process of completing my first Flathead build. All has gone smoothly until now. I found the instructions:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...3&d=1453320251

The problem begins at the start when valves 4ex and 1in are open. The two valves are never open at the same time! I am using an Isky Max 1 Part # 811100 cam shaft. Is their likely enough difference in this cam and the stock cam to cause me problems? If so How do I deal with it?

Another concern I have is regarding the valve lash settings. I am not 100% certain what year my block is. All I know is that it is a 49-53. How should I gap my lifters? The cam sheet says .014 cold. Is that correct for both intake and exhaust?

Thanks!

Mike

JSeery 08-01-2018 07:11 PM

Re: Problems Setting Valve Lash

Block year shouldn't have anything to do with valve lash. It will depend on the cam and the lifters used (and if there are rotator valves). First question I would have (seeing the Chevy) is you do understand the cylinder numbering, correct? It is NOT the same as a Chevy. Secondly, a high performance cam is going to be a little different in the duration over a stock cam.

Ronnie 08-01-2018 09:10 PM

Is the engine on a stand?

R

tubman 08-01-2018 09:27 PM

I remember reading a thread on the H.A.M.B. that Iskendarian sold a bunch of cams that were way out of spec a few years ago. Maybe you have one of those. I just got done building an engine with a MAX-1 and had no such problems. Perhaps a little research is in order.

Ronnie 08-01-2018 09:33 PM

Me also just finished one this week no problems at all.

R

57ChevyWagonMan 08-01-2018 09:51 PM

OK,

How is the cylinder numbering then? I always thought the number one was the closest to the front of the engine and then all odd cylinders followed behind it, even on the other side? Please set me straight?! I started this project a long time ago and I just want to get it right.

Thanks!

57ChevyWagonMan 08-01-2018 09:51 PM

Yes the engine is on a stand.

Pete 08-01-2018 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57ChevyWagonMan (Post 1658312)
I am in the process of completing my first Flathead build. All has gone smoothly until now. I found the instructions:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...3&d=1453320251

The problem begins at the start when valves 4ex and 1in are open. The two valves are never open at the same time! I am using an Isky Max 1 Part # 811100 cam shaft. Is their likely enough difference in this cam and the stock cam to cause me problems? If so How do I deal with it?

Another concern I have is regarding the valve lash settings. I am not 100% certain what year my block is. All I know is that it is a 49-53. How should I gap my lifters? The cam sheet says .014 cold. Is that correct for both intake and exhaust?

Thanks!

Mike

If the cam sheet says .014 then that is the last word.
If you adjust the valves by the simplest method there is, you will have no problems worrying about which is open when or what the firing order is.
If you do not know the firing order, start with the first valve on one bank, doesn't matter which bank. Roll the engine over with a bar till the valve is wide open. Stop. Mark the front pulley at the timing pointer with chalk. Turn the crank one full turn back to the mark. This will put the cam on the heel for the lifter you are adjusting. Adjust the lifter. MARK THAT VALVE WITH CHALK.
This will let you know that one is adjusted. Next, RUB THE CHALK MARK OFF THE FRONT PULLEY. Proceed to the next adjacent valve and repeat the process.

The cylinder order is, number 1 is right bank front and straight back to 4.
Left bank front is 5 and straight back to 8.
Firing order is 15486372.

tubman 08-01-2018 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57ChevyWagonMan (Post 1658406)
OK,

How is the cylinder numbering then? I always thought the number one was the closest to the front of the engine and then all odd cylinders followed behind it, even on the other side? Please set me straight?! I started this project a long time ago and I just want to get it right.

Thanks!

No that's for a SBC and most other late model engines. A ford flathead is 1-2-3-4 front to back on the right (US passenger) side and 5-6-7-8 front to back on the left side. This is a common mistake.

57ChevyWagonMan 08-01-2018 10:00 PM

Well paint my face red! I will look at it that way tomorrow.

Thanks

JSeery 08-01-2018 10:57 PM

Thinking Chevy will get you in trouble on a flathead! :) Actually any Ford I have ever worked on is numbered 1-4 right side and 5-8 left side, just always been a Ford thing.

Russ/40 08-02-2018 12:17 AM

I'm happy to see Pete stressing the simplest method for valve adjustment. Keep it simple, and you wont get mixed up with the process. Way to go Pete.

RalphM 08-02-2018 01:07 AM

Pete,
I’ve never heard of doing it that way, but it makes perfect sense! The crank rotates twice the camshaft, therefore once on the crank is exactly half way around on the cam! It’s so simple I’ve always overlooked it in favor of more complicated ways!
And the best thing, no matter what the cam grind, it’s always perfect.

Mart 08-02-2018 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57ChevyWagonMan (Post 1658412)
Well paint my face red! I will look at it that way tomorrow.

Thanks

Good man.

Welcome to our world!

Mart.

57ChevyWagonMan 08-02-2018 05:34 AM

My late Grandfather made a living working on these things. One of my old bosses once said to me that my Grandpa had forgotten more about cars than the two of us would ever know! I am sure he was right. I often wish he was still here. This Flathead build has taught me an awful lot. really appreciate everyone's guidance.

All the best!

Mike

chap52 08-02-2018 07:11 AM

Get you a repair manual. Ask, ask, ask. There are no dumb questions and this site is filed with folks that love to share their knowledge. We have all gained a little along the way and will freely share what we think we know.
EVERYONE on this site has messed up along the way and fall short of perfection,(sounds like a scripture i read somewhere) but together we can get it figured out.
Welcome aboard and enjoy the adventure, Chap

Ol' Ron 08-02-2018 09:15 AM

yes, Been using Pete's method for the past 60 or so years. He taught it to me when I was a wee lad.

scicala 08-02-2018 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol' Ron (Post 1658503)
yes, Been using Pete's method for the past 60 or so years. He taught it to me when I was a wee lad.

Ol' Ron, if that's the case, just how old is Pete ? Ha Ha.

Sal

alanwoodieman 08-02-2018 08:28 PM

I grew up doing chevy firing order/cylinder numbering and knew the firing order by heart, but working on fords thru me for a loop, finally wrote the firing order on the shop wall to keep from returning to the old days!! I have only been doing flatheads for 47 years now and just about used to them!

Bored&Stroked 08-04-2018 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scicala (Post 1658531)
Ol' Ron, if that's the case, just how old is Pete ? Ha Ha.

Sal

He was just a bit older lad at the time! They're both Spring Chickens! LOL

D