The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hard starting ‘34 (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265807)

Ricosan 07-03-2019 02:19 PM

Hard starting ‘34

I took my car out for a ride. It’s about 95 degrees out today. I drove about 15 miles and shut the car off for about ten minutes. When I tried to restart, the engine would hardly turn over. The starter was making a grinding sound that I’ve never heard before. It finally caught after a couple of minutes of cranking. Any ideas what’s going on?

Richard

rbone 07-03-2019 03:25 PM

Re: Hard starting ‘34

I would double check that the wires are clean and firmly attached - both ground and hot. Also, I had mine do this one time on my '34. The bendix was bad. Simple replacement.

BTW - that's one sweet ride.

petehoovie 07-03-2019 03:38 PM

"The starter was making a grinding sound" - Bendix gear not engaging ring gear on flywheel correctly....Check to make sure the starter motor mounting bolts are tight....

Ricosan 07-04-2019 10:24 AM

Thanks Arbone - I checked the wires. New cables were put in about 6 months ago when I had it rewired. They were all tight at the battery and the starter.

Pete, I checked the starter this morning. I couldn’t find any looseness but I confess I didn’t put a wrench to it. I didn’t see the bolts. Do you have to access them from the underside?

Richard

Terry,OH 07-04-2019 10:33 AM

Two mounting bolts go through the length of the starter body, their heads are on the starter end plate.

rbone 07-04-2019 11:00 AM

If you end up taking it out to check the bendix, remember to only loosen the bolts until the threads are out of their tapped holes. It is easier to keep the starter together this way and easier to put it back on the motor.

Ricosan 07-04-2019 12:08 PM

Thanks Terry - looks like it has to come out.
Rbone - this will be the first time I’ve attempted to take out a starter from a
‘34 ford. Thanks for the heads up.
Richard

supereal 07-04-2019 12:24 PM

Slow starting when hot is a normal problem. Both the starter and the battery lose power when the under hood temperature rises. The "heat soak" of the carb is also involved. I use a booster circuit to increase power to the coil to counteract the current draw when starting. It is simply a wire between the starter motor side of the solenoid through a diode to the input of the coil. the + side of the diode faces the coil if you have the usual positive ground system.. I have an instruction page I made years ago, and will post it again if I can find it in my files.

Ricosan 07-05-2019 06:29 AM

Super seal - thanks for the suggestion. I am going to try the starter first.
I forgot to mention that although the starter is cranking the engine over it is cranking very very slow.
Richard

koates 07-06-2019 08:00 AM

Well I think that starter should be dismantled and inspected for stuck or worn brushes. Burnt or rough out of round commutator, worn bushes etc, etc. If you don't really know what you are looking at then take it to an auto electrical shop so that an experienced man can do some tests on it. Have the battery load tested while you are at it. The symptoms you describe sound like a sick starter or battery. Does your car have the original foot starter switch fitted ? The contacts inside these can be burnt or worn and do give trouble. They can be dismantled and repaired or new ones are around. Regards, Kevin.

Brendan 07-06-2019 09:06 AM

check the cables on the battery and the starter switch, make sure they are clean and tight