The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   37 convertible top color (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250204)

oswego37 08-25-2018 06:44 AM

37 convertible top color

Recently there was a thread about the greenish tint on the outside of the 36 convertible top. Does anyone know if this applies to the 37 as well. Thanks

Kube 08-25-2018 11:41 AM

Re: 37 convertible top color

Quote:

Originally Posted by oswego37 (Post 1667174)
Recently there was a thread about the greenish tint on the outside of the 36 convertible top. Does anyone know if this applies to the 37 as well. Thanks

Yes, it does. Through 1940 at least. I am not certain after that...

Lebaron Bonney calls it T-14 (their number). The stuff they currently market is much darker than the authentic.

oswego37 08-25-2018 01:17 PM

Thanks Kube,any other suppliers?

Kube 08-25-2018 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oswego37 (Post 1667266)
Thanks Kube,any other suppliers?

None that I know of. I'd just recently searched for my own vehicle and found nothing. Cartouche is in my opinion, total poopy - not even close to authentic..

DavidG 08-25-2018 05:52 PM

Mike,

With respect, there were two suppliers of the drab top material used on Ford deluxe open cars of 1930s and the degree of 'greenness' differed substantially between the two materials, but neither is more 'authentic' than the other. Lots of side curtains, top boots and even a few original tops have survived over the years that confirm the existence of two different materials.

Kube 08-25-2018 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 1667342)
Mike,

With respect, there were two suppliers of the drab top material used on Ford deluxe open cars of 1930s and the degree of 'greenness' differed substantially between the two materials, but neither is more 'authentic' than the other. Lots of side curtains, top boots and even a few original tops have survived over the years that confirm the existence of two different materials.

I can't argue with you. It seems more than reasonable to believe not all colors matched exactly among the suppliers.

Still, I must ask... "have you seen what LB is currently offering"? Dave, it's GREEN. Not a shade, but GREEN.
The stuff Cartouche is passing as "correct" is tan and not a good quality of material either.

Dave, you have my complete respect... might you take a look at the LB offering and advise?

Frank Miller 08-26-2018 09:14 AM

I have had the pleasure to tour Haartz cloth manufacturing in Acton, MA. Eric Haartz is a great guy and has old cars. I'm surprised the shade went away but Lebarron can only buy what is being manufactured. I believe Haartz is the manufacturer and for whatever reason they chose this shade. They are strictly wholesale and provide material for many new car manufacturers. That is the mainstay of their business. We are small potatoes. You can no longer get a lot of parts that were once reproduced so those parts are almost as valuable as original. I wonder if we will even be able to restore these cars 10 years from now.

Kube 08-26-2018 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 1667342)
Mike,

Dave, I'd sent a scan to you earlier of the current LB offering (T14) and would appreciate your unbiased opinion.
This is a lot darker (green) than the stuff I got from them about twelve years ago.

Thanks Mister!

fordv8j 08-26-2018 10:59 AM

I got mine from Le Barron Bonnie, its tan... no hint of green, never lost points at EFV-8 shows

DavidG 08-26-2018 11:38 AM

Not exactly a compliment to those who failed to know the difference.

Kube 08-26-2018 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordv8j (Post 1667598)
I got mine from Le Barron Bonnie, its tan... no hint of green, never lost points at EFV-8 shows

Apparently neither Dave or myself had anything to do with judging your car.
Oh well, at least now you realize your top is incorrect and can take the necessary steps to correct it.

DavidG 08-26-2018 06:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Mike,

Sorry for the delay, but better late than never. Based on your comment regarding the scan, I would tend to agree that it is darker than the original 'darker' version of the fabric shown in the photo below.

The other two photos are glimpses of examples of the 'lighter' version of the original material in the form of what are likely two different runs of LeBaron Bonney's T-14 material.

What does the underside of your sample look like?

Kube 08-26-2018 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 1667763)
Mike,

Sorry for the delay, but better late than never. Based on your comment regarding the scan, I would tend to agree that it is darker than the original 'darker' version of the fabric shown in the photo below.

The other two photos are glimpses of examples of the 'lighter' version of the original material in the form of what are likely two different runs of LeBaron Bonney's T-14 material.

What does the underside of your sample look like?

The "inside" is tan.

That "lighter" version appears to be what I restored my last 40 with. In my eyes, only a "tinge" of green.

DavidG 08-26-2018 07:28 PM

Right, but green nonetheless and most certainly distinguishable from tan.

The dark version is understandably a bit of a leap for a car in either blue or maroon, but it works with greens, browns, tans, and black. The light version works pretty well with all colors.

Over the years there have been five or six different lots of the T-14 material that LeBaron Bonney had made for them. I could easily be wrong, but this latest seems to be the first in the dark version of the original fabric.

I think that as with upholstery fabrics, LeBaron Bonney gave/gives it customers a choice starting with what they had available that was closest to the original followed by other choices such as saddle brown leather instead of copra drab leather in '32-early '34 deluxe phaetons and roadsters and tan or even black for deluxe tops instead of the T-14. The buyer made his own choice which from what I have seen, was more often one of the alternatives rather than the closest to original.