The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Source For Windshield Garnish Anti Squeek For a 40 (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266755)

philipswanson 07-23-2019 10:23 PM

Source For Windshield Garnish Anti Squeek For a 40

Does anybody know a source for the 1940 rub strip that goes around the windshield garnish rail where it contacts the dash? I couldn't find it in Carpenter's or Drake's catalog. This is a wagon and the convertible should be the same.

Kurt in NJ 07-23-2019 10:47 PM

Re: Source For Windshield Garnish Anti Squeek For a 40

friction tape??

Graeme / New Zealand 07-24-2019 01:10 AM

you know that beading that goes between the mudguards...oops fenders to you North Americans and the body? Well you can get that stuff in a smaller gauge I think it is upholsterers piping, that will do the trick and that's what I used.

GB

TJ 07-24-2019 09:01 AM

You will probably have to go to an upholstery shop for it. It's much smaller bead than fender welt and you may have to have it made by the shop.

skidmarks 07-24-2019 09:06 AM

Friction tape. Find a commercial electric supply house or look online.

19Fordy 07-24-2019 10:26 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Originally on the OEM dashboard there was a long piece of the old style cloth friction tape that served as an anti squeak purpose. It folded over the top edge of dash.
Between the bottom edge of the windshield molding and the top surface of the dash is a piece of welting that fills the gap and provide a nice finished appearance. Years ago I bought a separate piece from LB. Today any upholstery shop should be able to make it.
It utilizes a 3/16 dia. double bead. The bottom edge of windshield fits between the 2 beads.

4dFord/SC 07-24-2019 11:00 AM

Believe it's called windshield welting. I got mine from Roy Nacewicz several years ago, and I think Lebaron Bonney also carried it. Not sure who has it now, though:(

philipswanson 07-24-2019 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmarks (Post 1780346)
Friction tape. Find a commercial electric supply house or look online.

It definitely isn't friction tape but rather and upholstery piping. Thanks to all that replied!

Regards, Phil Swanson

skidmarks 07-24-2019 12:57 PM

Stuff I scraped off looked like friction tape . It was between the body and the dash and between the dash and the garnish molding

Kube 07-24-2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1780369)
Originally on the OEM dashboard there was a long piece of the old style cloth friction tape that served an anti squeak purpose. It folded over the top edge of dash.
Between the bottom edge of the windshield molding and the top surface of the dash is a piece of welting to serve fill the gap and provide a nice finished appearance. Years ago I bought a separate piece from LB. Today any upholstery shop should be able to make it.
It utilizes a 3/16 dia. double bead. The bottom edge of windshield fits between the 2 beads.

Perfect and quite accurate reply...

philipswanson 07-24-2019 01:32 PM

On my car, the welting material went all around the windshield garnish piece not just where the dash meets the garnish rail. May not be original however. Are we saying the original piece just went along the top of the dashboard where the garnish piece meets it?

19Fordy 07-24-2019 02:40 PM

Yes, then the welting tucked in under the windshield molding as shown in the photos posted above. That welting is not the same size as fender welting.

Kube 07-24-2019 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipswanson (Post 1780400)
On my car, the welting material went all around the windshield garnish piece not just where the dash meets the garnish rail. May not be original however. Are we saying the original piece just went along the top of the dashboard where the garnish piece meets it?

Convertible and wagons it went all the way around.

19Fordy 07-24-2019 05:18 PM

Thanks "Kube". I didn't know that little tidbit of welting info.

philipswanson 07-24-2019 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1780439)
Convertible and wagons it went all the way around.

Thanks Kube, that's good to know! What I don't understand about the pictures is the finished piping around the garnish rail looks nothing like the double piping material in the other picture??? Which is correct?

Kube 07-25-2019 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipswanson (Post 1780534)
Thanks Kube, that's good to know! What I don't understand about the pictures is the finished piping around the garnish rail looks nothing like the double piping material in the other picture??? Which is correct?

The double is correct. One of the beads is on the inside of the molding and one bead is on the outside. The inner bead holds the welt in place upon installation.

philipswanson 07-25-2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1780597)
The double is correct. One of the beads is on the inside of the molding and one bead is on the outside. The inner bead holds the welt in place upon installation.

Thanks again Kube. That's what I thought. By the way, what kind of adhesive do you use on the windshield rubber seal to hold the glass panels in place before installing the garnish rails?

Kube 07-25-2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipswanson (Post 1780615)
Thanks again Kube. That's what I thought. By the way, what kind of adhesive do you use on the windshield rubber seal to hold the glass panels in place before installing the garnish rails?

No adhesive.

philipswanson 07-25-2019 07:21 PM

You just put them in dry? Don't they leak?

Phil

Kube 07-25-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipswanson (Post 1780793)
You just put them in dry? Don't they leak?

Phil

Well, two things I should probably mention here.
1) Ford did not apply any sealer.
2) None of my restorations ever get wet.

One other thing... IF you find the overwhelming urge to apply some type of sealant, be very careful with what you use. many silicone based sealers will delaminate the glass. There are special sealants designed for automotive glass.