The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   So here's my question...... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259439)

sphooch 02-19-2019 12:47 PM

So here's my question......

Here we go , where can I buy a 2 blade al. fan for my 31 roadster, that's made here in America?? Snyders said theres are made over seas [china ? ]and I called Brattons the very nice girl there told me they have sold many over the years but couldn't find out where they are made. If any one knows who is supplying American made fans please let me know. thanks THE HOOCH

Smooth_One 02-19-2019 01:01 PM

Re: So here's my question......

I just called Steve at Bert's Model A Store and he said that they're 2 blade aluminum fan is made in Ohio.
He's been to the place where they are made and he stands behind them.
modelastore.com is Bert's web address

mfarley 02-19-2019 02:00 PM

I just bought a two-blade aluminum fan from Snyder's and the label says Made in USA...

sphooch 02-19-2019 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth_One (Post 1728588)
I just called Steve at Bert's Model A Store and he said that they're 2 blade aluminum fan is made in Ohio.

Thanks a lot I'll give them a call tomorrow and order from them.

Tom Wesenberg 02-20-2019 02:44 AM

I never heard of any made in China Model A fans. I stopped at Bert's a week ago and bought a good used aluminum fan, and I know they are made in Ohio. Years ago they did have some quality problems with blade pitch and balance, but those problems have been solved for at least the past 8 years with every fan I've seen.

Ruth 02-20-2019 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1728806)
I never heard of any made in China Model A fans.

Even the ones from MAC's are Hecho en USA.

Purdy Swoft 02-20-2019 01:25 PM

I agree with Tom . If no aluminum repro two blade fans are made in China , Mac's or Hecho can't sell made in China repro 2 blade fans .

Gastrap 02-20-2019 01:33 PM

I think they're all made by Snyder's. Mine had too much forward offset, I shortened the shaft to get the pulley back where it belongs to make the belt straight.

Ruth 02-20-2019 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft (Post 1728912)
I agree with Tom . If no aluminum repro two blade fans are made in China , Mac's or Hecho can't sell made in China repro 2 blade fans .

I don't understand what your talking about?? :confused::confused: Hecho en USA means "Made in USA". I was agreeing with Tom.

CarlG 02-20-2019 03:40 PM

Snyder's (in Ohio) makes the 2-blade aluminum fan that the other vendors sell.

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-21-2019 08:35 AM

REMEMBER, there's some CRAP PARTS made in America, too!!!
Bill Smartass

ryanheacox 02-21-2019 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlG (Post 1728943)
Snyder's (in Ohio) makes the 2-blade aluminum fan that the other vendors sell.

Then the real question is why would Snyders say they were made overseas? Communication mix up?

ryanheacox 02-21-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1729110)
REMEMBER, there's some CRAP PARTS made in America, too!!!
Bill Smartass

My girlfriends Chevy Equinox is a perfect example. Chevy claims it's "NORMAL" for them to burn a quart of oil every 1000-2000 miles.... sad that my 90 year old Ford burns way less oil than a car made in 2013.

Sorry for going off topic :o

Tom Wesenberg 02-21-2019 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanheacox (Post 1729121)
My girlfriends Chevy Equinox is a perfect example. Chevy claims it's "NORMAL" for them to burn a quart of oil every 1000-2000 miles.... sad that my 90 year old Ford burns way less oil than a car made in 2013.

Sorry for going off topic :o

When I worked at the GM dealership in the 70's, the company policy was that if the cars didn't use more than a quart of oil every 700 miles, they were OK, and no repairs were needed.

More recently, like a few years ago, I heard that GM was saying light piston slap until the engine warms up was normal and OK.

Neither of these would be OK with me, but I do own and love my Oldsmobiles and Buicks with 3.8 engines.

My Model A's and Studebakers are much more fun to drive, but for long distance, sometimes you have to be more practical and use the car that gets twice the fuel economy of the Model A.

ryanheacox 02-21-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1729143)
When I worked at the GM dealership in the 70's, the company policy was that if the cars didn't use more than a quart of oil every 700 miles, they were OK, and no repairs were needed.

More recently, like a few years ago, I heard that GM was saying light piston slap until the engine warms up was normal and OK.

Neither of these would be OK with me, but I do own and love my Oldsmobiles and Buicks with 3.8 engines.

My Model A's and Studebakers are much more fun to drive, but for long distance, sometimes you have to be more practical and use the car that gets twice the fuel economy of the Model A.

I guess a quart ever 700 miles should at least ensure good top end lube :eek:

As much as I don't really like V6's, that 3.8 is a great engine (I'd love to get behind the wheel of a GNX sometime).

Fuel economy is another issue with that Equinox (2.4L averages maybe 25mpg) but that's a rant for another day. :D

Purdy Swoft 02-21-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth (Post 1728918)
I don't understand what your talking about?? :confused::confused: Hecho en USA means "Made in USA". I was agreeing with Tom.

Sorry Ruth , No harm meant . I'm not familiar with the meaning of Hecho . I was also sort of agreeing with Tom . Its really simple . If the original style two blade aluminum fan isn't even made in China , then nobody can sell a made in china copy . Again no harm meant to anyone .

sphooch 02-21-2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth_One (Post 1728588)

thanks again however they are made in Tiwan, not Ohio as you thought. Iordered it from him and explained my concerns, 15min. he called me back saying they are made overseas. I bought it anyway as he was honest and its close but its not China.

Railcarmover 02-21-2019 04:35 PM

Nationalists in Taiwan,Communists on mainland,other than that they are all Chinese.Like anywhere else you get what you pay for when dealing with chinese goods.

Tom Wesenberg 02-22-2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sphooch (Post 1729253)
thanks again however they are made in Tiwan, not Ohio as you thought. Iordered it from him and explained my concerns, 15min. he called me back saying they are made overseas. I bought it anyway as he was honest and its close but its not China.

Interesting, and this is certainly news to me, as I've only known them to be made in Ohio. I hope if they are made in China, it wasn't simply a cost cutting measure, as China isn't known for quality goods.

katy 02-22-2019 12:53 PM

The Chinese do make a lot of good stuff, especially in Taiwan, unfortunately a lot of the stuff that comes to North America is not so good.