The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Swapping engines, any tips? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267230)

SteveR. 08-02-2019 10:20 PM

Swapping engines, any tips?

Over the next few days I’ll be swapping engines in my 1930 Tudor. I’ve done plenty of wrench turning, but never changed an A engine. Does anyone have any helpful tips to share for a first timer?

ahirt 08-02-2019 10:36 PM

Re: Swapping engines, any tips?

I just did that for the first time. It was hard to get the old engine out because it simply did not want to move out of the rear motor mounts. Finally after lifting whole front end from the motor, it slowly slid out. Frame appears straight. Couldn't get new motor in even with frame spreader. Took old mounts off. Got new rubber from Bratton's. Old rubber was 50% thicker than new rubber. New motor slid right in perfectly. Hard to believe that thickness of rubber could make a difference. It did.

SteveR. 08-02-2019 10:47 PM

Thanks...any input is helpful.

What parts should I replace while I’m in there?

burner31 08-03-2019 12:54 AM

With the motor out it would be a good time to redo the engine compartment, if you were so inclined

Wick 08-03-2019 03:40 AM

Always replace the throw out bearing. Make sure front mount is in good shape. I clean everything that I can.

Bruce of MN 08-03-2019 04:18 AM

New springs for the front mount. I assume you are already planning to remove the radiator, so think about new hoses. I left my trans in place with a support underneath (or could I have hung in from a 2x4 across the frame, can't remember?) One of these are handy: https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ler-67441.html I had the head off and used engine studs as shown in my avatar to attach to.

SteveR. 08-03-2019 05:43 AM

I'm not removing the head, where do I get the lifting lugs that go in the spark plug holes?

kenparker 08-03-2019 07:50 AM

Snydrs, Berts, Brattons all carry the "loops". I have several homemade ones. Call me 903=952-7615. $15.00 for two with shipping incl using USPS flat rate box.

kenparker 08-03-2019 07:55 AM

Oh! one more thing. The spark plug holes are slightly off center and as result of using the loops in plug holes the engine lifts slightly lopsided. To counter the lopsided lift a ratchet strap around the Water inlet (on driver side of engine) and connected to lifting chain can and will straighten engin bact to vertical/level.

Charlie Stephens 08-03-2019 08:27 AM

Remember, unlike most modern engines, there is a paper gasket between the engine and transmission and shims under the top two bolts on the flywheel housing.

Charlie Stephens

wmws 08-03-2019 08:29 AM

I always leave the transmission attached to the engine. That puts it on a good angle to slide out. Can even be done with the light bar still on the car. Then you can deal with the throughout bearing, clutch, and even the transmission out of the car.

whirnot 08-03-2019 08:42 AM

First thing, take the front bumper off. Only two bolts, and it makes everything so much easier. You would be surprised how many don't.

Conaway2 08-03-2019 08:54 AM

In addition to all the great suggestions so far, I would also replace the clutch disc and inspect the pressure plate and flywheel surfaces. May as well do this while it’s easily done with the engine out. I would also take the opportunity to replace some steering box parts - much easier to do with the engine out.

daren007 08-03-2019 09:02 AM

Definitely remove the front bumper.

katy 08-03-2019 09:48 AM

Can one person R & R the hood by them self w/out damaging something?

Purdy Swoft 08-03-2019 10:05 AM

I can ! Removing the hood is much easier if the hood sides are first removed .

Railcarmover 08-03-2019 10:09 AM

If separating at the clutch try to avoid jerking the engine out,you can crack the flywheel housing,especially with original rear engine mounts

Fred K-OR 08-03-2019 05:08 PM

If you also swap out the transmission, make sure the rear part that bolts onto the rear end is the same as the one you took out. There are two different ones with different holes in them.

fredski53 08-03-2019 08:32 PM

When I reinstalled my motor, I didn't put any shims under the top two bolts of the flywheel housing. What will happen without those two shims?

Charlie Stephens 08-03-2019 09:17 PM

If your Model A is registered by the motor number be sure to talk to your local DMV before you make the swap.

Charlie Stephens