The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   sparking starter (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14064)

03-29-2005 10:56 PM

sparking starter

my starter motor is giving a DEAD SHORT

39 mercury in 37 fordor

any ideas ? any way for easy removal looks complicated at my age 63 .......

need to fix it so i can get it on road.

thanx poppa joe

03-30-2005 02:34 AM

Re: sparking starter

Poppa Joe - You're only as old as you think you are. A lot of us on this forum are at least 63 and play with these flatheads everyday. There's only 2 bolts holding the starter in place. Disconnect the positive cable from the battery first and then the starter. Unscrew the 2 bolts from the bell but don't remove them from the starter. Pull the starter to the front and down and it should pop out. You'll have more room if you remove the right front wheel but it is not necessary. Ken(SC)

03-30-2005 03:05 AM

Hey Poppa Joe: 63 is not really that old!! In addition to what Ken said in his post, there may also be a small stamped steel support (if someone has not already removed and discarded) that fastens to one starter bolt and one oil pan bolt. This part usually needs to be removed. You will either need to get that old starter rebuilt/rewound or find another good new/used one. Good luck, John

03-30-2005 03:47 AM

Joe: to add to Kens feedback watch out when pulling out not to pull the armature out of the case. Dave

03-30-2005 07:08 AM

Hey Pappa Joe: Myself and a lot of other guys wish we were only 63. You folks in Australia are upside down from us so you are only 36. Does that make any sense?

03-30-2005 08:11 AM

say it again ed. ken ct.

03-30-2005 09:11 AM

Hey Ken: Old enough to have sold a decent'37 hump back sedan less engine and tranny for $150.00 which was a fair price at the time.

03-30-2005 09:21 AM

You will have to lift the starter up, and tilt slightly toward the engine to clear the flywheel, then let it come down and pull it out. Careful, you don't want to drop the starter in your face young fellow.

03-30-2005 06:03 PM

My Mother's 84 & still looking for a boyfriend.

At only 63 you're far too young.

Regards

Chris. NZ.

03-30-2005 06:08 PM

Lawson

The major problem down here with RH drive Fords is that you have the steering column beside the starter motor.

He'll have to disconnect the steering box

from the chassis plate & at the dash then slide it out of the way enough so as to clear the starter motor.

Regards

Chris. NZ.