The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   starter or solenoid problem. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270529)

1931 flamingo 10-06-2019 05:14 PM

starter or solenoid problem.

Came back from a show today (30 miles), car ran flawlessly. Stopped at house, emptied goody bag out. Went to restart, just a slight noise from solenoid (new Vintique in June-I know), ck'd connections, all tight. Swapped new sol with the old one, same thing. It can't be the Bendix as I had just shut off running engine. 6+ volts at batt and sol. Try another sol??

Any suggestions, help appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Paul in CT

fordv8j 10-06-2019 05:26 PM

Re: starter or solenoid problem.

starter is probably locked with the flywheel, put it in 3rd gear and rock car, my 38 did this, had to loosen starter to free it up, they do this occasionaly

JSeery 10-06-2019 06:26 PM

What fordv8j said, but I would also check the battery to be sure it is up to speed and then recheck all of the connections (clean, grease, tighten, etc.).

Kube 10-06-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1807079)
What fordv8j said, but I would also check the battery to be sure it is up to speed and then recheck all of the connections (clean, grease, tighten, etc.).

I too would check the battery first. If it ran down, you'll only hear a "click" as there isn't enough juice to crank the starter.

drolston 10-07-2019 10:52 AM

Easy battery test for a solenoid that clicks but does not crank and cable connections are good: Hit the starter with the headlights on. If they do not dim at all, the solenoid contacts are not making connection. If they dim a lot but do not go out, the starter is jammed. If they go almost completely dark, the battery is probably the problem; either run down, or bad internally. .

1931 flamingo 10-07-2019 12:41 PM

Battery is a coupe months old, horn and headlights work. I don't believe it's the Bendix as car was running and just shut off. New solenoid coming.
Thanks
Paul

fordv8j 10-07-2019 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1807079)

Let us know the outcome

Ken/Alabama 10-07-2019 08:12 PM

Remove the battery cable from the solenoid and touch it to the other side going to the starter and see if the starter spins.

JSeery 10-07-2019 08:15 PM

Good suggestion Ken! That would help solve the solenoid issue.

cas3 10-07-2019 08:35 PM

yup, i like it too, except i usually use a pliers handles and touch both terminals

big job 10-08-2019 05:17 AM

I don't want to give you a sorry note, but I did the same thing go to store for milk, engine
at idle & pull hand brake - turn ignition off. Came out same thing click click cables all
clean and tight same thing. I rolled back popped clutch and smoked tires. Called son
while getting towed again I popped the clutch again smoked tires. Made short up on
the lift son pulled the starter sure enough ring gear jammed against the block. So how
in the world does a ring gear come off especially at idle on shut down??? guess anything
is possible. So he banged it home thru the starter hole and migged it in 4 places and
thats the end of that story. sam noted for bad luck or no form of any luck......