The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Junky Repro Ammeters (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300643)

Greg Jones 07-01-2021 01:22 PM

Junky Repro Ammeters

I have been messing with the crummy ???&^*%!!@@$$ ammeters on the market. Anybody know of an option to actually fit a quality ammeter that just happens to fit in a 30 instrument panel? I have contacted Dan Bixby to see if he has any rebuilt one. NOS would be nice but is elusive. I am thinking of even off-brand modern, if it fits and is quality built.

grj 07-01-2021 02:02 PM

Re: Junky Repro Ammeters

NOS? Good luck. Almost all came have a cracked bezel. Use an original. Used them always. Even have had them NIB. 4 to a box. G

Patrick L. 07-01-2021 03:05 PM

Some of the 'A' vendors [ used] may have them, such as Mikes or Berts.

Dale G. 07-01-2021 05:31 PM

I have some original, restored ammeters for sale. Call Jim McPherson for my number. Dale.

veggie 07-01-2021 05:45 PM

Hi Dale
I would like to buy a good operating amp meter for my '31coupe.It must be in perfect condition. please let me know the price including shipping.

Al Roussel
Clinton Ct.
[email protected]

Thank you Al

McMimmcs 07-01-2021 05:46 PM

Call Berts and get an original. You are likely complaint 1000 + about reproduction units.

Greg Jones 07-01-2021 06:28 PM

Dale G, will contact Jim McPherson.

nkaminar 07-01-2021 07:37 PM

Greg, In addition to the ammeter, consider putting in a volt meter under the instrument panel. It is a really good way to keep tabs on the health of the battery.

Chris Haynes 07-02-2021 01:56 PM

I remember the sign on the door of Valley Ford Parts. Good parts cost $. Step up or step back. :-) With this mind here is a tested good ammeter. https://www.ebay.com/itm/31348966009...cAAOSw3uFgc-2Q

J Franklin 07-02-2021 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Haynes (Post 2032256)
I remember the sign on the door of Valley Ford Parts. Good parts cost $. Step up or step back. :-) With this mind here is a tested good ammeter. https://www.ebay.com/itm/31348966009...cAAOSw3uFgc-2Q

His description is a bit obscure. What is being sold, a working repro one?

Jeff/Illinois 07-02-2021 02:05 PM

Quote:

Repop but if it works, what the heck.

Part plus shipping out of Canada is around $53. I paid 50 bucks for a rebuilt original from the Doc Kalinka collection a couple of years ago. I'd keep looking for original for that $$.

A few years ago it was talked about somebody tooling up to build these new to original factory Ford specs. I think that still would be a good move, even if they cost 75 or a hundred bucks. The ammeter is crucial to the electrical system you don't want them to fry out.

Jeff/Illinois 07-02-2021 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Franklin (Post 2032259)
His description is a bit obscure. What is being sold, a working repro one?

That's what it looks like to me. Too much $$ for what it is, typical E-Bay stuff today.

dave hummell 07-02-2021 02:38 PM

I just bought a 30 amp voltage gauge and the dealer tried to talk me out of buying the thing he said if I buy that gauge I'll never come back to him for parts. All I can say is it works for now.

burner31 07-02-2021 06:55 PM

Some of the guys that restore old tractors (Fords included) have used this guy, have only heard good things about them

APT INSTRUMENTS
9632 HUMBOLDT AVE S
Bloomington, MN 55431
Phone Number: (952) 881-7095
Web Address: www.gaugeguys.com

Y-Blockhead 07-02-2021 07:01 PM

Quote:

I am pretty sure that is a repro.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave hummell (Post 2032271)
I just bought a 30 amp voltage gauge and the dealer tried to talk me out of buying the thing he said if I buy that gauge I'll never come back to him for parts. All I can say is it works for now.

I would say that is a stand up dealer for warning you up front. I would buy from him again just on that account. :)

Pete 07-02-2021 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Jones (Post 2031952)
I have been messing with the crummy ???&^*%!!@@$$ ammeters on the market. Anybody know of an option to actually fit a quality ammeter that just happens to fit in a 30 instrument panel? I have contacted Dan Bixby to see if he has any rebuilt one. NOS would be nice but is elusive. I am thinking of even off-brand modern, if it fits and is quality built.

Type into your search, "electronics parts, 0-20-0 ammeter".
A few model A repo's showed but there were so many after market and later ones it would have taken a half hour to read.
There were higher ranges also in case you have an alternator.

LeonardS 07-02-2021 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burner31 (Post 2032325)
Some of the guys that restore old tractors (Fords included) have used this guy, have only heard good things about them

APT INSTRUMENTS
9632 HUMBOLDT AVE S
Bloomington, MN 55431
Phone Number: (952) 881-7095
Web Address: www.gaugeguys.com

All I find online about that business is “They have closed”. Web address is also available for sale.

Joe K 07-02-2021 08:49 PM

My experience with the repops is "variable." They used to fit reasonably well - but the case was pressed in aluminum. Plus it looked "wonky" with poor lettering, and an internal black plate that looked like thin paper.

Then Tam showed me one of his latest. "Try this and report back to me" he says. It looked real nice, almost identical to the original AND included the plastic black binding knobs - somebody was really trying to make it like the original?

Putting the Ammeter into my original dash plate (1928-29 style) I found that the meter was a "skosh" smaller diameter than original, and would not hold in the hole with the ears bent out. A rubber o-ring introduced between the meter and the dash and bending the ears will hold it, possibly prevent vibration, and seems to work. I rate it about a "6" and certainly better than the aluminum meters. But - so close but yet so far.

I reported back to Tam on my findings. "Yeah," he says. "You're the third who has reported the same issue - If you want I'll refund your money."

I passed on the refund - the meter does look good in place. And perhaps it won't vibrate loose?

Joe K

nkaminar 07-02-2021 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave hummell (Post 2032271)

To me, this sounds like a sales ploy.

katy 07-03-2021 09:32 AM

Quote:

I just bought a 30 amp voltage gauge
Does it measure amps or volts?