The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ammeter (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258966)

rfitzpatrick 02-09-2019 03:11 PM

Ammeter

Where can I buy a reliable ammeter --- PLZ !!?
Thanks

jm29henry 02-09-2019 04:05 PM

Re: Ammeter

Berts or Brattons always seemed to sell good parts and they stand behind what they sell!!

daren007 02-09-2019 05:00 PM

Avoid aftermarket amp meters if at all possible.

barnstuf 02-09-2019 06:01 PM

I have not seen a reliable long life ammeter in the replacement market for many years, and originals are hard to find.

AL in NY 02-09-2019 06:54 PM

If you're not in a hurry to purchase one, original ammeters come up on ebay every three weeks or so. Check out the judging standards so you'll know what is original and what is not.

Joe K 02-09-2019 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daren007 (Post 1725187)
Avoid aftermarket amp meters if at all possible.

Including those which the bezel is a little small and the "fingers" don't hold it in place.

It took a rubber o-ring on the INSIDE of my instrument panel to hold that one in place.

Too bad really. Levels of quality above that usually seen - except for that diameter thing.

Joe K

springerpete 02-10-2019 06:59 AM

i had my instrument panel re plated and when I put it back I put in a ammeter I got from TAM's. That was in 2012. It has worked fine ever since. When I bent over the tabs I put a dot of clear silicone on each one.

rfitzpatrick 02-10-2019 08:08 AM

I've had my Pickup just over a year, and one day I changed out the wiring harness. Henry Ford could have given me another 1/2 inch there too -- as I was securing the wire to the minus side the nut kept turning but it would tighten -- when I changed that one out, in with the new one, two fingers broke --however, now the charging shows a much greater charge. Guessing my old meter wasn't performing as I'll get a 20 amp on start-up settling down to 5 -- this never happen with the old meter. Bert's meters are out-of-stock. What's special about an Orignal?
Thanks

37 Coupe 02-10-2019 08:15 AM

Bratton's catalog list ammeter as discontinued due to poor quality and out of stock online catalog.

jm29henry 02-10-2019 03:11 PM

Good to know coupe

redmodelt 02-10-2019 03:26 PM

While most of Snyders stuff is pretty good, this is one item that is not. They may still have some. But while I have found they work ok, the hand has a problem with staying glued on and can fall off.

Jeff/Illinois 02-10-2019 04:30 PM

Snyder's and Bratton's would tell you that the ones they sold coming from overseas were poor quality.

Somebody told Brent a couple years back that they were looking into making a quality ammeter to Ford specs like original, but the cost would be more than the cheapo gyp parts and he wasn't sure if it would have a market if people could opt for the junk and save a few bucks.

It seems like the projected cost would be around $70-$75. I don't think that would be out of line for quality, and would be worth the price.

Tinbasher 02-11-2019 07:53 AM

Get and original and have it rebuilt. Bert's is a good source. Great guys to work with. JP

chrs1961815 02-11-2019 09:02 AM

Don't mean to hijack this thread but how does the ammeter work exactly?

Badpuppy 02-11-2019 01:09 PM

The pointer is held at the zero mark by a magnet behind the dial. Current through the brass plate between them disturbs the magnetic field and deflects the needle accordingly.

30Ford 02-13-2019 03:58 PM

I made a digital one just put it in an old case to see how well it was charging

Jeff/Illinois 04-28-2019 07:16 PM

Anyone hear any updates on these being made new, and correctly:confused:

rotorwrench 04-29-2019 09:00 AM

If you ever get a chance to compare an original with a repop, the first thing you will notice is that the needle is very sensitive to any sort of movement in the originals where the copy is somewhat stiff. The originals were true D'Arsonval type movements where the copies are just a basic shunt with a rare earth magnet. The needle bearings were much better than the copies as well.

The closest units I've seen that were manufactured in the modern era are the little Lucas amp meters made for British motorcycles. At least they work like they are supposed to but they aren't a direct adaptation to the OEM Ford part. There again, the old ones made in the 60s are better than the new repops.