The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rear Bumper Bracket - Straight or Angled? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233461)

Russ 11-15-2017 11:03 PM

Rear Bumper Bracket - Straight or Angled?

1 Attachment(s)
The attached picture shows the rear bumper brackets on my '29 Briggs Fordor. As you can see, the left one goes straight out to the side while the right one is angled toward the rear. These are both the correct brackets, I think one is just a little bent. Which one is correct - straight or angled?

jw hash 11-15-2017 11:09 PM

Re: Rear Bumper Bracket - Straight or Angled?

The left one is correct

wrndln 11-16-2017 12:21 AM

I agree. The right side one appears bent outward. You can tell from the space between the bumperette and fender on each side.
Rusty Nelson

redmodelt 11-16-2017 01:01 AM

? the right side looks correct, it stick straight out, the left side looks bent.

Russ 11-16-2017 10:18 AM

Thanks guys. Straight out (left side) is correct and angled (right side) is incorrect. Now I know which one needs to be fixed.

d.j. moordigian 11-16-2017 11:09 AM

Okay,...the right one is "bent" but has the "kink" after the 90 degree bend..
The left one looks correct, EXCEPT, it doesn't look like it has the "kink" after the 90 degree
bend. Does it have the kink..?

Try this for information..

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ht=rear+bumper

redmodelt 11-16-2017 11:39 AM

Are you asking about the bumper bars or the bracket they mount to?

figment 11-16-2017 12:51 PM

I would check a car that is known to be correct . The distance of the bumper on the left seems to be to close to the fender . The distance should be equal on each side . I could not see from the photos enough to be sure . Norm

Russ 11-16-2017 02:01 PM

d.j. moordigian: Thanks for posting the FB link. Both brackets have a slight wave which I'm glad to learn came from the factory (I thought those came from tampering by previous owners).

After reading the linked post, I think I have taken a step backward. Marco Tahtaras states in the post that the brackets should not be in-line and should be swept back about 10° (110° bend), if I am reading his post correctly. This would look more like the one on the right (???).

I think everyone is working from their best information, but I still don't feel 100% confident that we know the correct answer. Does anyone have a nice unmolested Model A sedan that they can photograph (rear bumper brackets) to clarify?

d.j. moordigian 11-16-2017 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 1553542)
d.j. moordigian: Thanks for posting the FB link. Both brackets have a slight wave which I'm glad to learn came from the factory (I thought those came from tampering by previous owners).

After reading the linked post, I think I have taken a step backward. Marco Tahtaras states in the post that the brackets should not be in-line and should be swept back about 10° (110° bend), if I am reading his post correctly. This would look more like the one on the right (???).

I think everyone is working from their best information, but I still don't feel 100% confident that we know the correct answer. Does anyone have a nice unmolested Model A sedan that they can photograph (rear bumper brackets) to clarify?

I gave you INCORRECT information on which one was correct AND agree with Marco on
which one looks correct,..the right hand one,...so far, okay ! ?

BILL WILLIAMSON 11-16-2017 08:42 PM

Just RE-BEND them to MATCH & EVERYONE'S HAPPY?????
Willy Bill

redmodelt 11-16-2017 08:52 PM

For US cars the drivers side is the left side and passenger is the right side, the right side looks correct, the left side the bracket looks bent and the bumper bars don't look quite right.

verrece 11-18-2017 07:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Russ
I Hope that here is the answer that are you looking for

Tom Wesenberg 11-18-2017 11:50 PM

Follow Marco's advice. To me the left is pushed forward, and the right is a little too far back.
10* isn't much.

Russ 11-20-2017 10:18 AM

Thanks again for the input everyone. After digesting the info and doing a little more research, I now agree that the brackets should be swept back about 10­° on each side. It would be useful to have this info in a future revision of the Model A judging standards.

d.j. moordigian 11-20-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 1554698)
Thanks again for the input everyone. After digesting the info and doing a little more research, I now agree that the brackets should be swept back about 10www.jalopyjournal.net° on each side. It would be useful to have this info in a future revision of the Model A judging standards.

Good luck!...
There was a discussion about 2 months ago with 7 or 8 people in it, "off line".
There should / could be a small book-let that shows the "holes" for the different
body styles, stands and shapes in photos..

Dudley

SteveB31 11-20-2017 09:14 PM

And if you want to be more original, the first 4-5 inches of the chrome bumper (where the two bolts go thru that hold it on the brackets) was originally painted black.