The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Install generator (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273325)

keyswitch1 11-28-2019 10:20 PM

Install generator

It seems like every time I install a generator lately I have trouble lining up the hole. Any body have an easy way they would like too share ?? Thank you for help. Fifty years ago I never had a problem . Please do not say old age

Mike V. Florida 11-28-2019 10:30 PM

Re: Install generator

Ok I won't say it.:D

Bill G 11-28-2019 10:44 PM

Fifty years ago you could probably hold the generator still and even jockey it around with one hand while simultaneously lining up the bolt. I seem to have less arm strength than I did 50 years ago, so I suspect I am not alone!

Mike Peters 11-29-2019 12:11 AM

You could put an undersized bolt or tapered punch just in one hole as a guide, the feed the half inch generator bolt in the other hole, remove the punch, and then feed the half inch bolt through the second hole.

old31 11-29-2019 05:05 AM

I have the same problem and its frustrating to spend so much time on 1 bolt.

So I got a 10" rod a little smaller than bolt size. I beveled a v on one side. The v side is then put in from the firewall side till the point comes out of the radiator side. This will align the gen to the bracket.

I then slowly pull out the rod as I slowly slide in the generator bolt from the radiator side.

keyswitch1 11-29-2019 05:10 PM

I got it done!

ericr 12-01-2019 09:27 AM

I assume you already have the belt on and we had a discussion some time ago how a lot of belts we are using are actually the wrong circumference. I can't believe that replacing a belt originally was such an ordeal.

But yeah we lose hand strength as we get older. I need a tool to open the cap on my prune juice bottle.

Purdy Swoft 12-01-2019 11:30 AM

There is one bolt that attaches the generator pulley . It is so much easier to install the belt when the pulley is removed . I slip the belt in the groove of the pulley and only need to move the pulley in one direction to slip the pulley back over the armature of the generator, reinstall the bolt and the pulley and belt are back in place . . Magnesium will help prevent muscle loss .

37 Coupe 12-02-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old31 (Post 1826374)
I have the same problem and its frustrating to spend so much time on 1 bolt.

So I got a 10" rod a little smaller than bolt size. I beveled a v on one side. The v side is then put in from the firewall side till the point comes out of the radiator side. This will align the gen to the bracket.

I then slowly pull out the rod as I slowly slide in the generator bolt from the radiator side.

I cannot believe sometimes the amount of time I have spent on a single cotter pin.

keyswitch1 12-02-2019 12:39 PM

Do not tell any body but the person I bought it from had the lower radiator pipe up to high ! I guess it would have been beater if I saw it earlier !

Tom Wesenberg 12-02-2019 02:11 PM

If you remove the generator pulley bolt, be sure it's real tight when you finish the job.
I saw one come loose at the national meet about 10 years ago, and it broke the water pump, tore up the radiator, and dented the hood.

old31 12-02-2019 03:13 PM

Oh boy, what is wrong with us. WOW.

"magnesium" "muscle loss" "can't find the hole" "jockey it with one hand" "less arm strength" "prune juice" "lost hand strength"!

I just can't read this anymore, I have to go take a nap.:)

Mulletwagon 12-02-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old31 (Post 1827472)
Oh boy, what is wrong with us. WOW.

"magnesium" "muscle loss" "can't find the hole" "jockey it with one hand" "less arm strength" "prune juice" "lost hand strength"!

I just can't read this anymore, I have to go take a nap.:)

Most of us can pull a rear axle or drop a trans just like we did 50 years ago - just takes longer to recover.

Purdy Swoft 12-02-2019 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1827451)
If you remove the generator pulley bolt, be sure it's real tight when you finish the job.
I saw one come loose at the national meet about 10 years ago, and it broke the water pump, tore up the radiator, and dented the hood.

I haven't had a generator pulley come loose yet . I did once wring off a generator pulley bolt . smiley face