The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   getting light switch rod into column 32 (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257953)

31Abone 01-20-2019 11:15 PM

getting light switch rod into column 32

having trouble getting long light switch /horn rod into column ..it stops about 9" short of seating and it is hitting something..in lower column..I'm thinking rod is bent a little ..whats barns folks opinion ??

FlatheadTed 01-21-2019 01:49 AM

Re: getting light switch rod into column 32

Mr Bone I could be wrong but Your horn rod is likely contacting the brass oil seal tube that is about 9" long and fits in from the bottom of the steering shaft ,remove the two bolts at the light switch and draw it out and check it for damage ,

JSeery 01-21-2019 10:37 AM

Take a look at a steering box and column diagram, think that will show you what is going on.

Andy 01-21-2019 10:47 AM

The repo light switch rods have a bigger diameter than the originals.

31Abone 01-21-2019 11:43 AM

Mr Flathead ,I think you are correct on this.. a light bulb came on when you said that about the oil control tube..ps Mr flathead do you make a kit for 32 brakes ?

FlatheadTed 01-21-2019 01:37 PM

Yes

DavidG 01-21-2019 01:46 PM

Andy,

Yes, the diameter of the reproduction light switch rods is larger than the original, but they will still fit the tube, at least in my experience. What they won't fit through is the little brass collar/bushing at the top of the steering column shaft.

JM 35 Sedan 01-21-2019 03:50 PM

The horn/light switch rod needs to be as straight as an arrow to work properly after everything else that's already been mentioned has been corrected.

DavidG 01-21-2019 05:57 PM

For sure, unless you want your headlights to come on every time you turn a corner.

31Abone 01-22-2019 11:35 AM

Got tube to go in OK ,it was hanging up on oil control on bottom of box ..now the problem of light lever turning so hard ...so I have to take it out again and see why its turning hard ,,you are correct about head lights coming on when turning corners,,tnx mch all..the fun never ends ..sc

FlatheadTed 01-22-2019 01:35 PM

Sometimes the brass tube needs soldering to the plate stamping to water proof it ,a little grease as you feed the rod in helps to stop it turning with the wheel ,on more than one occasion I have had to pull the rod up and fit a washer under the top to stop it rubbing on the wheel ,you cut the washer on one side then bend it enough to slide over the tube then bend it back ,Ted

31Abone 01-22-2019 11:47 PM

Got problem solved,got rod in OK but tight and would turn on Headlites at every turn for sure ,so I took it apart again and found after some swearing that the oil retainer tube was bent,looked like an old original..got it straightened out and back together and it works smooth and easy ..I'll be a certified machanic soon.sc