The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Flame arrestor? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277838)

David R. 03-11-2020 07:10 PM

Flame arrestor?

What is the theory behind the screen in filler neck of model A gas tank being a flame arrestor? I can’t figure this one out. To keep the gasoline attendant from dropping his cigarette down there?

30 Closed Cab PU 03-11-2020 07:18 PM

Re: Flame arrestor?

To keep fumes in the Gas Tank from explosion if a static charge gets built up on the nozzle and it sparks/grounds when you touch the gas tank opening.

David R. 03-11-2020 07:28 PM

How does that work?

chrs1961815 03-11-2020 07:30 PM

It has something to do with airflow and the fumes not getting past the arrestor. I think I read about it a while ago on here.

Sunnybrook Farm 03-11-2020 07:56 PM

I think if it catches on fire there is just a flame like a barbecue grill since it is letting vapor out to burn but not letting fire down into the tank where it would go off like a bomb. You might have to repaint the visor if it catches on fire unless of course you have a slant windshield model. Either way it will be spectacular!

barnstuf 03-11-2020 08:32 PM

In the Model A production era gas pumps were more primitive and the hose nozzles were usually not grounded. Putting the nozzle in the tank could create a spark, hence the arrester was needed. Think about the antique gas pumps you may have seen owned by a hobbyist.

daren007 03-11-2020 08:46 PM

The flame will not pass through the screen. Ask any Coal Minor from the days of lanterns in mines.

updraught 03-11-2020 10:01 PM

>>What is the theory behind the screen in filler neck of model A gas tank being a flame arrestor? I can’t figure this one out.

It is used by the salesman to calm nervous passengers while they stare at the fuel tank, and especially if there is a leak onto the passengers foot and they are smoking.

The Master Cylinder 03-11-2020 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnstuf (Post 1861085)
In the Model A production era gas pumps were more primitive and the hose nozzles were usually not grounded. Putting the nozzle in the tank could create a spark, hence the arrester was needed. Think about the antique gas pumps you may have seen owned by a hobbyist.

I agree with barnstuff. Modern nozzles are grounded to prevent static electricity.

Apperloo 03-11-2020 11:39 PM

I assumed it was to strain crappy fuel from the 30’s , too simple I guess

SAJ 03-12-2020 04:34 AM

It works on the same principle as the miners Davey lamp, invented by Humphry Davy. The metal gauze conducts the heat of any external flame or spark away so that the fuel on the inside of the arrestor cannot heat up and ignite. The Davy Lamp worked in reverse, preventing the burning wick inside the lamp's mesh screen from igniting the methane "fire damp" gas outside in the coal mine.
That's what I think. And why I use rhem. I do remove it while filling the tank because it impedes flow. I replace it before driving away, in case of a collision or carburettor fire etc.
Any other opinions?
SAJ in NZ

a

Synchro909 03-12-2020 04:53 AM

SAJ and Daren007 have it right

rotorwrench 03-12-2020 09:06 AM

I wouldn't assume that all commercial fuel pumps are grounded. In aviation, we ground the pump or fueling truck to the aircraft before we start fueling. You never see folks do this at a gas station. The little metal nozzle with the spring loaded flap acts as a spark arrester in the modern tanks.

That filter/spark arrester should be in the tank when fueling or it defeats the purpose.

The Master Cylinder 03-12-2020 10:27 AM

I read an article the other day that stated 'most' fires at gas stations are caused after the pump shuts off. It appears women get back in their car after starting the pump and fail to ground themselves again before they touch the nozzle. The article goes on to say that this does not happen as often to men because men don't get back into their cars while gassing up.

The bottom line is ground yourself before touhinhg the nozzle.

30 Closed Cab PU 03-12-2020 10:30 AM

Additionally the A is not grounded to earth ground, 4 tires prevent it from being earth grounded.

Tacoma Bob 03-12-2020 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder (Post 1861221)
I read an article the other day that stated 'most' fires at gas stations are caused after the pump shuts off. It appears women get back in their car after starting the pump and fail to ground themselves again before they touch the nozzle. The article goes on to say that this does not happen as often to men because men don't get back into their cars while gassing up.

The bottom line is ground yourself before touhinhg the nozzle.

Pumps here in WA State all have warning decals on them.

Terry, NJ 03-12-2020 11:00 AM

Very few people seem to recall HS physics that tell us that there is a natural law that flames can't go through a screen (At least a fine one anyway) This law has a name but I forgot it. This law is demonstrated with Coleman lamps and certain propane heaters.
Terry

MikeK 03-12-2020 11:06 AM

A 'flame arrestor' works by providing a heat sink to reduce the temperature of the fuel/oxidant mix below the spontaneous ignition temperature. The flame cannot travel through or across it without cooling below that critical point and stopping the chemical reaction.

If you think about it, the burners in a water heater, furnace, BBQ, kitchen stove all work the same way. A mix of flammable fuel/air is fed into them but the flame stays outside the burners, not traveling back up into the feed. The metal absorbs heat, preventing the flame front from traveling back up to the source.

JOHN CT 03-12-2020 12:19 PM

I believe everyone on what they are saying spark resistor and filtering. The question I have is how many people still have them in the gas tanks? :confused:I still have mine in the tank

30 Closed Cab PU 03-12-2020 01:21 PM

Mu truck had an arrestor that was held in via tabs instead of the screw in style. After it dropped into the tank when I pressed down too hard and having difficulty getting the arrestor out of the tank, decided not to replace it. And with the spark arrester in it took forever to fill the tank.

I am careful to touch me and the gas nozzle to the headlamp shell before putting the nozzle into the tank.