The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Front one piece seal 8ba (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271167)

3739ford 10-19-2019 12:57 PM

Front one piece seal 8ba

Do I need to put any silicone around the outside edge, or will the oil pan squeeze it to seal?

leon bee 10-19-2019 02:27 PM

Re: Front one piece seal 8ba

I went ahead and goobered up the two I've done. Couldn't see any reason not to.

Ronnieroadster 10-19-2019 02:36 PM

The one piece seal is being set in a location that was never intended to be perfectly round the front cover is machined round however the stamping of the oil pan is not a perfectly round shape. When those two groves are placed on the block with the gasket for the oil pan included you now have a more oval shape than round shape. Since the two pieces of rope type seal material were able to conform to these outer surface variations it was not an issue. When you install a one piece front seal the outer surface situation will need some type of sealer. But if your putting this type of seal on the Ford reverse spiral grove I would think this grove will damage the seal. However the seal would work well if the seal surface on the crank shaft is smooth. From what I know when installed correctly the original design Ford type seals will work perfectly for many thousands of miles and at well over 200 MPH
Ronnieroadster

3739ford 10-19-2019 03:37 PM

Thanks for the info, I bought the kit with smooth spacer and one piece rubber seal. Thought I would give it a try.

leon bee 10-19-2019 05:56 PM

Not a lot of miles on either of mine, but no leaks and I like em. My reading here has indicated the seal should work okay with the spiral groove as well.

3739ford 10-20-2019 09:36 AM

I like the simplicity and ease of putting together. Still a long way from firing mine up.

GOSFAST 10-20-2019 11:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3739ford (Post 1811711)
I like the simplicity and ease of putting together. Still a long way from firing mine up.

Just a "tip" with those aftermarket sleeves, we recently got our own "tip" from a vendor that some of them got out the door with the wrong I.D.

I would recommend measuring the O.D. on the crank (OEM=1.311"/aftermarket=1.307" nominal) and the I.D. on that sleeve! Sleeve should be 1.3115"? You don't want it too loose? it should slide on the OEM shaft "snugly", slightly lesser on the aftermarkets.

Important: No matter what shaft you're using it's good practice to put some sealer between those sleeves and the crank snouts, it stops any oil from "seeping" between both pieces and getting to the damper/bolt. We use "The Right Stuff" there also!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. When we assemble our units here we do use a "thin" coating of "The Right Stuff" on the entire circumference of the seal, so far we haven't a single leak ever!

Talkwrench 10-20-2019 07:27 PM

there is a video on Youtube on how to do this , it shouldn't be hard to find.
I was meticulous on installing mine [21 stud].. Damn it leaked bad , popped the old rope in there and its pretty damn good now.

tubman 10-20-2019 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talkwrench (Post 1811932)
there is a video on Youtube on how to do this , it shouldn't be hard to find.
I was meticulous on installing mine [21 stud].. Damn it leaked bad , popped the old rope in there and its pretty damn good now.

My experience as well.

3twinridges 10-20-2019 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOSFAST (Post 1811757)
Just a "tip" with those aftermarket sleeves, we recently got our own "tip" from a vendor that some of them got out the door with the wrong I.D.

I would recommend measuring the O.D. on the crank (OEM=1.311"/aftermarket=1.307" nominal) and the I.D. on that sleeve! Sleeve should be 1.3115"? You don't want it too loose? it should slide on the OEM shaft "snugly", slightly lesser on the aftermarkets.

Important: No matter what shaft you're using it's good practice to put some sealer between those sleeves and the crank snouts, it stops any oil from "seeping" between both pieces and getting to the damper/bolt. We use "The Right Stuff" there also!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. When we assemble our units here we do use a "thin" coating of "The Right Stuff" on the entire circumference of the seal, so far we haven't a single leak ever!

Hate to hi-Jack the thread but I saw this and have worried about ever since I built my engine. I didn’t seal the shaft for the sleeve. Any thoughts Gofast on that, pull the pulley and try to seal at the end before reinstalling the pulley?

JB

3739ford 10-22-2019 06:02 PM

3twinbridges,
I watched the video on YouTube and took mine back off and separated and added silicone and put back together. I would rather have piece of mind than leaking seal. Wasn't any trouble at all the bolts automatically start backing themselves out when I walked up to block. :)

GOSFAST 10-22-2019 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Glad you brought this back, I was going to also to cover a few more items!

When you install the sleeve on the crank (up against the oil slinger) make certain the key for the timing gear doesn't contact the sleeve and keep it from bottoming out like it should. The slinger is also "keyed" but the key itself may be a bit too long (photo below), this area needs close scrutiny!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3twinridges (Post 1811947)
Hate to hi-Jack the thread but I saw this and have worried about ever since I built my engine. I didn’t seal the shaft for the sleeve. Any thoughts Gofast on that, pull the pulley and try to seal at the end before reinstalling the pulley?

JB

There are two ways to help seal up that area, one may be a very "narrow" rubber "O" ring, the other is a thin bead of "The Right Stuff" along the rim of the damper just before installing it, this is how we prefer to do it here!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Here's a close-up of the area I'm speaking of, it shows just how close the key, the slinger and the sleeve really are, we "trimmed" that key to clear it all.