The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   End of the road (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254398)

DennisR 11-07-2018 03:42 PM

End of the road

Not had much time to keep up with all the posts lately, used to enjoy reading thru them, picked up a lot of useful tips. Just to say thanks for all the info and help I`ve received over the past few years. Spent a fair few ££££`s and got the old girl running nice, and was looking forward to getting some miles on her, but unfortunately not to be. My partner`s condition has worsened to the extent that constant care is needed, the dreaded Dementia, and I can no longer give the A the attention I should. I don`t have room to store it and anyway I have no one to pass it to and I`m 70+ so eventually will dispose of it, at a great loss I`ve no doubt.

Will still drop by when I get the chance, forums don`t come any better than this one.

Dennis.

Stew Masche 11-07-2018 04:31 PM

Re: End of the road

Dennis,

Gods blessings to you and your family. Drop by when you can, I'm sure you've a lot of friends here. It doesn't get much better than old car people in general, and Model A people in particular.

Take Care,

Stew

BRENT in 10-uh-C 11-07-2018 04:46 PM

The older we all get, the more precious each breath seems. My Father contracted Parkinson's and Dementia in his latter years, and it was very difficult for the family to accept and care for. I hate to hear this news for you and your partner, but enjoy coming back as often as time will allow.

MAG 11-07-2018 04:53 PM

So Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Life and good health are truly a blessing. We sometime take it for granted. God's blessings to you.

Chuck Dempsey 11-07-2018 05:00 PM

Best of luck to you, and yours, in the future.

KenCoupe 11-07-2018 05:08 PM

Dementia is a cruel and difficult disease. I wish you and your partner well.

woofa.express 11-07-2018 05:28 PM

Hope your partner is comfortable and it seems you have accepted it. Hope you can look back at good times you had with her and also hope your A gave you pleasure too. I wish you both well. gary

jimalabam 11-07-2018 06:45 PM

Just lost my partner of almost 44 years and am taking it one day at the time, and as Woofa says remembering all the good times we had with the two of us AND with our children, grand children and four Great Grand Children, Jim Langley...

Purdy Swoft 11-07-2018 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimalabam (Post 1693766)
Just lost my partner of almost 44 years and am taking it one day at the time, and as Woofa says remembering all the good times we had with the two of us AND with our children, grand children and four Great Grand Children, Jim Langley...

Jim , i'm Sorry to read of your loss .

Purdy .

Purdy Swoft 11-07-2018 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAG (Post 1693739)
So Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Life and good health are truly a blessing. We sometime take it for granted. God's blessings to you.

What Mag says X two !!!

Clem Clement 11-07-2018 08:51 PM

Do check in with us whenever you can. Maybe by then we will have figured out why we love these old cars and the heroes that fix 'em and drive 'em.
May God bless,
Clem

Richard in Anaheim CA 11-07-2018 09:13 PM

Dennis, it isn't the end of the road but for sure a very rough one to travel.

Make a visit here when you can and rely on us friends to help you through this difficult time.

Richard
Anaheim CA

Terry, NJ 11-08-2018 08:40 AM

Facing my own decline, I become more aware the effects of the decline of others. Best of luck with your very trying situation!
Terry, NJ

Barry B./ Ma. 11-08-2018 09:08 AM

Just lost my wife of 61 years in late August and to add to my grief my dear cousin (and like my twin) of 80 years passed early this morning from an infected ulcer she has only had for a week, this is almost unbearable and I can understand how it affects your interest in the Model A, our life seems to change after 80.

juke joint johnny 11-08-2018 09:36 AM

Sorry to hear your news Dennis. If I can be of any help give me a shout
I live near Basingstoke so not so far away from you

John Cochran

woofa.express 11-08-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry B./ Ma. (Post 1693925)
Just lost my wife of 61 years in late August and to add to my grief my dear cousin (and like my twin) of 80 years passed early this morning from an infected ulcer she has only had for a week, this is almost unbearable and I can understand how it affects your interest in the Model A, our life seems to change after 80.

my heart goes out to you Barry.

woofa.express 11-08-2018 11:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Death is so final isn't it. The end of a life. It is also terrible for those left behind, I always feel so sad for them. I hope the loneliness is substituted somewhat by memories of good times.
I have a letter written to my grandchildren to be given to them after my death. It is clear and simple, stating what I wish for. That is for them to grow up to be good citizens. My children have met that criteria so far.

hazelhoff 11-08-2018 01:39 PM

Hi Dennis, i happen to be in a comparable situation. My wif has a Waldenstrom cancer as well as a serious liver degeneration. Meaning her speach and behaviour are changing. I take care of her as an almost fulltime job. What stays is the feeling of being alone, even before she dyes !
Still, i learned you have to have something positive to cling to. I am finishing my model A, be it just an hour a day. Bought another vintage moped to restore ... Be it just an hour a day ... While she is sleeping.
Don't know what else to say. Feel very sorry for you, but do NOT forget yourself ! Fulfill your needs as much as possible.
I am sure a Barner will show up willing to put your model A in a garage close to your home ...

31a 11-08-2018 11:36 PM

My prayers are with you!

apbright 11-09-2018 01:48 AM

Take care young chap, and do your best to stay sane. I'm sure someone will take up loving your Model A for you. I got my first break as a young Yankee while a student in your city.

Best wishes from the new country,
Andrew