The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Yet another starter problem (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302177)

markhe57 08-07-2021 03:44 PM

Yet another starter problem

All,
Let me first state that I've researched virtually all of the threads in this forum for starter problems...and learned a lot. I have also performed virtually all the resistance tests for the windings, the armature, and the assembled unit on my starter and all check out! I have also replaced the brushes and resurface the commutator and did a general cleaning on the case. But none of this has provided a resolution to my issue(s). There may be something in the details of those posts that I have missed (I must have missed something), but please entertain my situation:
The initial case was/is that the starter would not turn over the motor. This was regardless with 6v/12v was applied with a solid positive ground and negative lead directly to the starter button.
After performing all the listed tests…and all of them checking out for the windings, armature (no growler test) and assembled unit… and doing the maintenance I mentioned, my starter will not turn the motor, even with the spark plugs removed and the application of either 6v or 12v. I have bend-tested the starter - it will spin freely and to at least the 1500rpm expected.
Again, I can turn the motor easily with a crank and the Bendix does engage the flywheel.
My current state is that I removed the starter (again...maybe the 15th time...getting good at it too) and had someone apply 6V (then 12V) to the starter while I grabbed the Bendix only to find out that I can easily keep the motor from turning with my hand…the bottom line is that the starter doesn't generate sufficient power/torque to turn the motor.
Other than popping for a new starter (after several weeks of messing with this one!), what would you suggest?

Brentwood Bob 08-07-2021 04:08 PM

Re: Yet another starter problem

Try another starter?

Farmall 08-07-2021 04:48 PM

Bob, Please contact me at [email protected]. I am very interested in one of your switches

Brentwood Bob 08-07-2021 05:41 PM

Pm sent.

HD Rider 08-07-2021 06:39 PM

No Growler Test?
I'll bet the armature needs to be rewound.
Try another starter.

chrs1961815 08-07-2021 08:45 PM

I would make sure the area on the flywheel housing where it mounts is free of paint along with the backside of the starter. Got to have a good ground and sometimes a lack of one will cause weird problems like this.

burner31 08-07-2021 09:26 PM

After several weeks of messing with it and not driving the car...I would spring for another starter.

burner31 08-07-2021 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Your other option...

markhe57 08-07-2021 10:21 PM

Thanks for your input. I'll look into getting the armature tested.

Tom Wesenberg 08-07-2021 11:45 PM

Make sure the battery and cables are good.
When it comes to bench testing, you MUST use heavy duty jumper cables or battery cables, and not the cheap crap some stores sell.

GRutter 08-08-2021 01:11 PM

The starter on a Model A is a series wound motor. The field windings and armature are wound in 'opposite pairs' (two sets of two windings). Current flows through the field windings, then through one pair of brushes to the armature, through the armature and back to ground through another pair of brushes.

Look at your starter. Two of the brush-holders should be grounded. The other two non-grounded brush holders should be connected to the field windings.

If the starter develops no torque, you will likely have either a bad armature or bad field windings.

It is likely only running at all due to residual magnetism of the poles and armature.