The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   installed a new 6:1 head now a tapping noise (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260175)

Roxo 03-08-2019 07:58 PM

installed a new 6:1 head now a tapping noise

I install snyders 6:1 head ( old one was cracked ). Started the engine and had a tapping noise. Checked valves and found a broken valve guide on #4 exhaust. Replaced all guides and springs. Lapped in #4 checked all clearances, ground #4 to specs. Still have the same tapping noise.

I thought maybe a exhaust leak, gasket looked like #4 and #3 were leaking.
Installed new intake and exhaust manifolds with new copper gasket. Still same tapping noise.

Ground out the Spark plugs. When Grounding out #3 the tapping stops.
Is this a bad wrist pin??:confused:
There was no tapping with the old head.

Railcarmover 03-08-2019 08:33 PM

Re: installed a new 6:1 head now a tapping noise

If you replaced a stock head you increased compression pressure by 50%,you basically made a bigger hammer.Given the wear in your valve train I'm going to assume the rest of your engine is worn as well.Higher compression is the best thing you can do to a model a engine to increase power (that,and carburetion),provided its in good shape. Unfortunately you have to go back in and find the root cause of the noise.

Roxo 03-08-2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Railcarmover (Post 1734378)
If you replaced a stock head you increased compression pressure by 50%,you basically made a bigger hammer.Given the wear in your valve train I'm going to assume the rest of your engine is worn as well.Higher compression is the best thing you can do to a model a engine to increase power (that,and carburetion),provided its in good shape. Unfortunately you have to go back in and find the root cause of the noise.

Yes I'm afraid what I might find. It's an older rebuilt motor, no idea what kind of mileage is on it since. It ran great with no out of ordinary noises. I thought it was very guite running. Now tick tick tick. the change in compression must have woke something up. :mad:

BillLee/Chandler, TX 03-08-2019 08:54 PM

Same symptoms, much the same diagnostic path. Ended up pulling the motor and disassembling. Found #3 piston scored from rings down. Fortunately no damage to cylinder wall.

Now pistons/rings and back together successfully.

Good luck.

Roxo 03-08-2019 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillLee/Chandler, TX (Post 1734393)
Same symptoms, much the same diagnostic path. Ended up pulling the motor and disassembling. Found #3 piston scored from rings down. Fortunately no damage to cylinder wall.

Now pistons/rings and back together successfully.

Good luck.

my cylinder walls where fine after pulling the head back off to do the valve work. I need to pull the oil pan and check things out. Thanks for letting me know what you found, I will check for that.

Railcarmover 03-08-2019 09:34 PM

If you can save the babbitt its not too expensive to freshen it up.Going high compression is a slippery slope,hard to stop when you feel speed.. A mechanical advance distributor to avoid detonation,ping is murder on the center main bearing..a downdraft stromberg 97 or holley 94 provides the fuel the Zenith lacks..while your there,a B cam compliments both pretty good,and toss in a header for the added zip..60-65 horse,add a mitchell OD and you can drive on any road you want without annoying the prius behind you..

old31 03-09-2019 10:10 AM

Does it tick when the engine first starts up, then does it ease off after the engine warms up?

Jim Brierley 03-09-2019 12:41 PM

It's possible a piston is hitting the head or gasket.

Chris Haynes 03-09-2019 08:00 PM

I had a tick, tick, tick that turned to a huge knock. It was my center main. Little did i know that when you raise the compression you need to retard the amount of full advance.

Roxo 03-10-2019 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old31 (Post 1734482)
Does it tick when the engine first starts up, then does it ease off after the engine warms up?

Its starts at startup and continues even after it warms up. It will stop for a few seconds then starts back up again. But just for 2 or 3 seconds.

Roxo 03-10-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Brierley (Post 1734524)
It's possible a piston is hitting the head or gasket.

Never thought of that. I did try both the graphite and the copper head Gaskets.

Roxo 03-10-2019 09:54 AM

My big concern is why when I ground out #3 spark plug does the tricking stop? would that be a wrist pin or center main? This started after replacing the head with snyders 6:1 head.

The Master Cylinder 03-10-2019 02:49 PM

Keeping an eye on this thread. A friend has a fresh engine that has a tapping sound also.Quite until the engine gets warm. We not had time to investigate as yet. He has a 5.5 Snyder head.

Werner 03-10-2019 03:18 PM

Hello Roxo,

Quote:

It will stop for a few seconds then starts back up again. But just for 2 or 3 seconds.
This is typical for so-called "piston tilting". This happens when the piston has a little too much wear in the cylinder diameter. Too much running tolerance between piston and cylinder. It tilts transversely 90 degrees to the piston pin axis.

The Master Cylinder 03-10-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werner (Post 1734811)
Hello Roxo,

This is typical for so-called "piston tilting". This happens when the piston has a little too much wear in the cylinder diameter. Too much running tolerance between piston and cylinder. It tilts transversely 90 degrees to the piston pin axis.

I believe what you are referring to is what we call Piston Slap.

Tom Wesenberg 03-10-2019 04:50 PM

I was also thinking it could be piston slap.

KR500 03-10-2019 05:11 PM

When individuals change heads, I wonder if they are giving any consideration to deck height. Know of an individual who had his engine rebuilt by a reputable engine rebuilder and after engine warmed up( which may have come from engine component expansion rates, experienced a tapping sound. It was found that the piston was tapping the underside of the head and shining it up a bit. If the deck height of a model A engine is unknown, which how many times has engine been decked? I could for see pistons playing tag with a head.

Werner 03-10-2019 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think we mean the same thing. The piston clatters because it "tilts" diagonally against the cylinder wall with its pressure flank during the ignition cycle and then beats against the other cylinder wall during compression cycle.

Roxo 03-10-2019 06:32 PM

With piston slap in mind here is what I know so far without opening up the engine again. There were no signs of ware on the piston walls as far as the piston body sliding up and down the walls. But again this just started.
One thing I did notice is there is a ridge on the top edge, on just one side of the walls on at least 2 piston cylinders (drivers side). Other side of the walls are smooth. Engine has been rebuilt, .080 stamped on the heads. I believe it's got a lot of miles on the rebuild.
Once I get the truck back together I will drop the pan and inspect from the bottom. Right now I'm pretty much rebuilding the truck from top to bottom. At this point I need to find out if rebuilding the motor should be on my list of things to be done.

Railcarmover 03-10-2019 07:33 PM

Piston protrusion should be measured,the quench area should be .030 to .040 for ideal combustion.Factor the head gasket crush for correct dimension.I have a milled snyder 5.5 that I use with a zero protrusion engine,runs good..