The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Scrap Engines (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277870)

Gino 03-12-2020 02:42 PM

Scrap Engines

Hi, I have two not well engines. I hate to scrap em but I can’t take em with me. Any suggestions? Thanks

Joe K 03-12-2020 03:01 PM

Re: Scrap Engines

Define "not well." As in broke? Or just worn out?

Joe K

denis4x4 03-12-2020 04:18 PM

Last time I talked to the engine builder at Bert’s he said that only one out of 10 A blocks can be rebuilt. Double or triple that for B blocks.

Gino 03-12-2020 04:47 PM

These engines would have to be re- babbited and all the rest. I won't rebuild them and will give them away or scrap them but they must go. I will feel bad if I must scrap them. We know everything meets its demise. I love on Cape Cod if anyone in the area wants them. Thanks

Synchro909 03-12-2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denis4x4 (Post 1861347)
Last time I talked to the engine builder at Bert’s he said that only one out of 10 A blocks can be rebuilt. Double or triple that for B blocks.

I was at Bert's last year and saw the pile of blocks they were going to discard. WHAT A WASTE! A goodly proportion of them were quite savable, IMO. I suspect you guys don't bother repairing stuff that we have to. Things like stripped head stud threads is NOT the end of the block. I think they were super fussy because their reputation is so important to them.
I've seen blocks successfully saved after rust had gone through cylinder wall. A sleeve within a sleeve and the engine has done LOTS of miles since.

ronn 03-12-2020 05:43 PM

put an ad on CL and give them away.

Flathead 03-12-2020 06:09 PM

Even a junk block can be useful for experimentation, drilling for oil pressure, cutting open to study wall thickness and construction. That way you don't screw up a good block messing around.

CarlG 03-12-2020 07:31 PM

I donated my cracked block to be used to verify line boring for inserts. Before that there were no shops capable of doing that in Alaska.

Joe K 03-12-2020 08:10 PM

Back when I lived on Cape Cod I used to go Route 149 down into Cotuit. There was a gentleman on the way who had TWO Model A engines attached to saw rigs parked just off the road but within sight.

The Model A engine used to be the prime mover of choice for homebrew. At the time I had TWO Model A engines myself so didn't feel the need to accumulate more.

Now I have FIVE. And that doesn't count the Gordon Smith Compressor.

Model A parts kind of multiply while you don't look methinks. I'm almost certain they have a sex life.

Joe K

Synchro909 03-12-2020 08:29 PM

[QUOTE=Joe K;

Model A parts kind of multiply while you don't look methinks. I'm almost certain they have a sex life.

Joe K[/QUOTE]

I've maintained that for years. I believe they get up to what we don't want to know about during the night and have young in the form of wire coat hangers and ball point pens.:eek:

David R. 03-12-2020 08:46 PM

Wish I was closer. I have a guy can re-babbit.

Kencmcg 03-12-2020 08:59 PM

What are the engine numbers? That may have some bearing on whether someone would want to go the distance to save them.

Jack Shaft 03-12-2020 09:07 PM

Its rare you find one good enough for an inexpensive rebuild.I bartered some welding for a nice one with a blown center bearing,Ill sink some dough in this one.The other 3 I've come across has original ford babbit and no shims or one shim..Ford built them at .000 and added a .002 shim for clearance,got one that will make a good ice cream runner..also have a B block with 21 crack pins in the deck :).Pull down enough scrap engines and a pattern emerges,you can see where a businessman shys away from them.

https://i.imgur.com/TlqsMig.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/GIEgQ3E.jpg

hop up 03-12-2020 09:38 PM

I had 9 blocks that were hot tanked and sonic tested and came with like on size cranks and couldn’t give them away. The only one that was taken if I bought it to him was a early 28 with the extra bearing. It maybe the area your in more then anything and was sad but after 10 years of asking and bringing them to swap they went to scrap..

Synchro909 03-12-2020 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hop up (Post 1861472)
I had 9 blocks that were hot tanked and sonic tested and came with like on size cranks and couldn’t give them away. The only one that was taken if I bought it to him was a early 28 with the extra bearing. It maybe the area your in more then anything and was sad but after 10 years of asking and bringing them to swap they went to scrap..

Thanks for that :rolleyes: You've ruined my day! Pity distance and freight costs are such an impost.

JRN1967 03-13-2020 05:52 AM

I'm out near Sturbridge about 1.5 hours West of you. I have a place to store them, but too busy to drive out there. How fast do you need to get rid of them?