The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Late V8 (1954+) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   '54 Ranch Wagon, Where do these go? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263393)

51504bat 05-14-2019 05:08 PM

'54 Ranch Wagon, Where do these go?

2 Attachment(s)
Just brought home this Ranch Wagon but need some help in figuring out where these covers go. I was thinking in the rear by the wheel wells but if they do I can't figure out how. Any help is greatly appreciated. Only one of the cover photos will load for some reason. I'll take some more photos and add them in a bit.

darrell 05-14-2019 05:14 PM

Re: '54 Ranch Wagon, Where do these go?

front seat

51504bat 05-14-2019 05:17 PM

Still no luck with the photos but according to a couple of replies to this same post over on the HAMB they go the the front seat between the cushion. Thanks.

scicala 05-14-2019 09:26 PM

Darrell is correct. It's the trim for the bottom sides of the front seat. There is one on each side.

Sal

51504bat 05-14-2019 09:38 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm sure I'll have other questions down the road. This is my first later Ford. My '39 p/u is a daily driver but only around town. Hopefully the wagon will be more appropriate for driving on the freeway.

Daves55Sedan 05-14-2019 10:34 PM

There should be two, one for right side and one for left side of front seat (skirt mouldings). The one for the driver side should have a slot through it for the seat adjustment arm to poke thru.
They are each installed using pan-head phillips style sheet metal screws (two at front and two at back). The factory screws were "blued", not zinc plated.

Motorhead6 05-15-2019 04:01 AM

I don't know what is meant by "Between the seats". They go on sides of the front seat. The one pictured is for the right side.

JimNNN 05-15-2019 11:22 AM

Wow, didn't recognize it at first, as that's the "from behind" view. :)

I had to get mine off and back on a couple of times. On the driver's side, I had to bend the mounting plate (the part that will be on the back side of the seat) out just a bit to get the piece to wrap around the seat supports properly so the mounting screws could be fastened in place. The metal bends fairly easy, so that's no problem, but be gentle so that you don't weaken the metal. I don't think they're designed to be removed and put back on a lot.

Jwawhite 05-16-2019 12:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
51504bat

The rear interior side L and R may have had at one time water direction panels between the rear interior panel and sheet metal. They were made of covered card board which may have deteriorated, or thrown out over time. These panels keep water from damaging the interior panels by directing water from the 1/4 panel side windows. On my 56 there is a trough underneath the rear interior windows which channels water to the rear. I used lexan screws and the existing clips.

51504bat 05-16-2019 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jwawhite (Post 1758108)
51504bat

The rear interior side L and R may have had at one time water direction panels between the rear interior panel and sheet metal. They were made of covered card board which may have deteriorated, or thrown out over time. These panels keep water from damaging the interior panels by directing water from the 1/4 panel side windows. On my 56 there is a trough underneath the rear interior windows which channels water to the rear. I used lexan screws and the existing clips.

Thanks for the tip. Just getting into figuring out what I've got. I noticed that on the outside of the rear sliders there doesn't seem to be anything to keep water from getting into the slider track so I guess this is what you're referring to? I've also got a molding install question but I need to take some decent pictures that will upload and then I'll ask about it in another post. I had a '65 Falcon 2dr. wagon in HS so I've always been partial to 2dr. wagons so I'm excited about getting moving on this but my '39 p/u still needs a window replaced so its a balancing act.

Daves55Sedan 05-16-2019 09:12 PM

Best way to install the seat "side garnish moulding" is to insert the back portion in place first and hold while using other hand to pull forward at the front of the moulding so it will just clear the mounting brackets on the front of the seat. Now you can let it drop and pick up the four attaching screws (2 at front and 2 at back) and screw in the screws loosely at first. Adjust position of the moulding and tighten the screws. Lastly, re-install the knob on the drivers side seat adjustment lever.

JimNNN 05-18-2019 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan (Post 1758267)
Best way to install the seat "side garnish moulding" is to insert the back portion in place first and hold while using other hand to pull forward at the front of the moulding so it will just clear the mounting brackets on the front of the seat. Now you can let it drop and pick up the four attaching screws (2 at front and 2 at back) and screw in the screws loosely at first. Adjust position of the moulding and tighten the screws. Lastly, re-install the knob on the drivers side seat adjustment lever.

I tried that on my '54, Dave, but I really didn't like how I was going to have to bend the main driver side piece to get it over the rod for the adjustment lever. I figured that I'd rather bend the less conspicuous tab on the back side of the seat. There's probably a technique to it so you can do it the way you mentioned. Hopefully I won't need to do it again.

Daves55Sedan 05-18-2019 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimNNN (Post 1758838)
I really didn't like how I was going to have to bend the main driver side piece to get it over the rod for the adjustment lever.

As I recall, There is a little bit of play in that adjustment lever such that you can stick a finger behind it and push it backward a little bit to get the end of it thru the slot, but yes there will need to be some minor flexing of that back corner of the moulding.