The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Column drop switch what does it control? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229566)

corvette8n 09-20-2017 08:37 AM

Column drop switch what does it control?

On my '41 coupe my column drop switch has some extra wires on it and also some wires that are cut off, I know one of the wires goes to an electric fuel pump with a momentary contact switch in between. I know the ignition circuit is controlled by the drop switch. My concern it that the unknown extras may draw too much current. Car is 6 volt pos ground. Anyone have a wiring diagram or is one listed in a book I should have.

JSeery 09-20-2017 08:54 AM

Re: Column drop switch what does it control?

2 Attachment(s)
There should only be three wires connected to the ignition switch: Power, Coil & Gauge. Adding extra wires can easily overload the switch. I would connect add-ons to the stud on the CB panel where the power wires from the battery and generator connect. A nice clean installation would be a wire from this CB panel stud to a switch panel and make any additional connections at the switch panel.

51 MERC-CT 09-20-2017 09:05 AM

Vanpelts for schematic--
http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...ing1941car.jpg

corvette8n 09-20-2017 10:56 AM

Thanks guys, looking at the rest of the under dash wiring I think I should get a new harness.

JSeery 09-20-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corvette8n (Post 1529712)
Thanks guys, looking at the rest of the under dash wiring I think I should get a new harness.

Might well be the best approach. And, yep, VanPelt is a great source for all kinds of information!

rotorwrench 09-20-2017 01:09 PM

If a person is going to add accessories, it's a good idea to start the circuit feed with the buss wire from the battery and put in an inline fuse to protect the wire with a separate switch rated to work for the accessory being installed. Those old ignition switches weren't really rated for a very high amp flow at all.

fordor41 09-20-2017 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotorwrench (Post 1529768)
If a person is going to add accessories, it's a good idea to start the circuit feed with the buss wire from the battery and put in an inline fuse to protect the wire with a separate switch rated to work for the accessory being installed. Those old ignition switches weren't really rated for a very high amp flow at all.

I've heard this many times. Everything in my car runs thru this switch including turn signals, heater, am/fm/cd/amp, power points(2),fog lights, elect. wipers, ign. been like that for 20+ years and never had a problem. believe a lot of this stuff is more robust than we think.

rotorwrench 09-21-2017 10:39 AM

I notice you live in a cooler part of the world. Try moving to a warmer part and see how long it lasts with continuous use of all that stuff. A 30 to 35-amp system can only handle so much. I do have to agree that the original equipment switches were a much better quality Bakelite type with good quality metal contacts but many folks may have the modern replacements that are not as reliable. This is why I stand by my recommendation. What works for you may do damage for someone else.

Bubsyouruncle 09-21-2017 08:11 PM

That is a wonderful response to those who don't understand watts/volts/amps, etc.

The old stuff was built to lower (read higher) standards than today. Now, if the circuit has to handle 15 amps, design it for 16.5 (10% increase). Back then, it was kinda sorta does it look good.