The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Making a Run to the LA Roadster Show and Beyond (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191345)

TomT/Williamsburg 03-10-2016 10:21 PM

Making a Run to the LA Roadster Show and Beyond

2 Attachment(s)
I am going to run out to the LA Roadster show with a bunch of guys from Smithfield, VA of which there is a thread in the HAMB. I will be gone 3+ weeks, so I thought I would chronical everything here on the 'Barn starting with the prep of my roadster up until the day I return home. Something like I did on my run out to Bonneville but do it here this time.

So, to get started, another 'Barner, Gabby here on this forum, Earl, will be riding shotgun. I have started getting my roadster ready. I have a list .....

Different wheels and tires
Oil, filter, grease
Plugs and wires
Paint my hood
Run through every nut and bolt
Drain the rearend
Adjust brakes, check brake fluid
Fresh antifreeze (thermoscwere replaced last fall)
Pack all my spare parts
Water pumps
Distributor
Tools, rear axle puller, spare axle, axle keys
Grease, fresh set of plugs
Yamalube
Cleaning supplies
Spare starter, starter solenoid
Spare carbs, rebuilt kits
Full gasket set, fuses
Extra gas lines, electric fuel pump, fuel regulator
Spare oil, brake fluid, antifreeze, grease gun, rainex
Jumper cables, tarp for rainy o-nights
Floor jack, jack stand, lug wrench, fire extinguisher Jumper cables, hand cleaner, rags, towels

OK - by now you are probably wondering where an I going to put all this stuff?!?!

So, tires - I have a fresh set of wheels and tires ready to go but they are wide five and I am presently running 5.5 inch pattern. My present tires are showing some wear up front after 8 years or so of driving. So, in order to use them on my car I bought a set of adapters from American racing for the front f100 hubs and I have a nice set of wide five rear hubs. This stuff is all for a Mod A p-up project that is presently on the back burner. A buddy of mine has a set of '37 spider caps that I have cleaned up but have plenty of patina ...

Next up is to install them and order some new cloth wires .. .

zzlegend 03-10-2016 10:36 PM

Re: Making a Run to the LA Roadster Show and Beyond

That's quite a list Tom. But that should be a nice trip. Good luck to you. Hope to see you there. Mark.

TomT/Williamsburg 03-10-2016 11:01 PM

Hey, Mark - let's make a day and time and you are on ....

Talkwrench 03-10-2016 11:09 PM

watching this space...

41ford1 03-11-2016 08:14 AM

Tom,
Just remember all the extra stuff you packed for the Bonneville run was used on other peoples cars. The roadster performed almost flawlessly. Tighten this tighten that was all it needed.
Safe travels to LA. That should be a fun trip. I'll be following from the barn.

zzlegend 03-11-2016 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg (Post 1256660)
Hey, Mark - let's make a day and time and you are on ....

X2 Tom

bluardun 03-11-2016 08:49 AM

Sound like a truly wonderful adventure. A memory to have and share for a life time.
Hope your trip goes smooth and enjoyable. I look forward to seeing your posts about the trip. Are you hooking up with the "Gray Beard" group?
Have fun
Bill Herbert

Steves46 03-11-2016 09:42 AM

Tom, you are living the dream and I'm looking forward to reading the posts. Safe travels. Steve

barnfind 03-11-2016 09:54 AM

Tom,
Why don't you publish your route using a map program.
That way if something breaks along the way and you need a tool or tow we can help.
I did a cross country in an AH Bugeye Sprite in my youth - not good for the sunburn,back or knees but it was fun.

Good luck!

JM 35 Sedan 03-11-2016 10:44 AM

Run Tom Run!! :).....Wish I was going along!! Just itching for another opportunity/chance/excuse to make another crosscountry run :). Have a great trip and keep us posted on how things go as much as possible.

Andy 03-11-2016 11:16 AM

Stop by here if I am on your route. I always left out of Phoenix way before dawn for the final leg. Going across the desert at dawn with a long shadow of the roadster chasing ahead of me was always great. I used to call Palm Springs the valley of death because of the heat, especially if returning Sunday evening. Take a cooler with water.

19Fordy 03-11-2016 11:24 AM

Be sure and take some matches and a small mirror. You never know....
And, if you have a permit to carry, make sure it's legal in all the states you enter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concea..._United_States

sidevalve8ba 03-11-2016 03:54 PM

Tom,
All I can say is, "Have way too much fun, okay?"

TomT/Williamsburg 03-11-2016 03:56 PM

Thanks for all the offers and kind words, fellas. As far as the route out to the show, we go west on 460, hit rt 81 south then on to Rt 40 west for the long haul to Calif, taking Rt 10 to San Dimas and our hotel. I will post where we'll be stopping roughly as we get closer. Coming back we are kind of winging it, probably taking in more of Rt 66 west of Missouri, a stop in New Mexico, and hopefully meet up with as many like minded people as we can .....

Just an quick update on my wheels and tire setup. 3 spider cap clips were broken off on my rims. I got the replacement kit and Dave at House of Fab had a rivet tool and popped the three on for me. Tomorrow is my Dads 92nd birthday so Sunday will be the day for the mounting, and draining and refilling the rear end fluid ...

uncle max 03-11-2016 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg (Post 1256984)
Thanks for all the offers and kind words, fellas. As far as the route out to the show, we go west on 460, hit rt 81 south then on to Rt 40 west for the long haul to Calif, taking Rt 10 to San Dimas and our hotel. I will post where we'll be stopping roughly as we get closer. Coming back we are kind of winging it, probably taking in more of Rt 66 west of Missouri, a stop in New Mexico, and hopefully meet up with as many like minded people as we can .....

Just an quick update on my wheels and tire setup. 3 spider cap clips were broken off on my rims. I got the replacement kit and Dave at House of Fab had a rivet tool and popped the three on for me. Tomorrow is my Dads 92nd birthday so Sunday will be the day for the mounting, and draining and refilling the rear end fluid ...

It's good to hear you're planning on refilling the rearend; your list only mentioned draining it! :rolleyes:

Straightpipes 03-11-2016 07:21 PM

Enjoyed the Bonneville trip with the boners. You put some miles on her that time . Your reports on the trip home were great !

TomT/Williamsburg 03-11-2016 09:38 PM

Thanks, Pipes - I will try and do the same this time around!

And Max, thanks for the reminder - I think?!?!?!

Mike in AZ 03-11-2016 10:17 PM

spare tire/tubes??....tire pump??....hook up with Al Casteen as he's making the run, too....not sure of his dates, tho.....and have fun....Mike

TomT/Williamsburg 03-11-2016 11:11 PM

Hey, Mike - I am going with Al Casteen and the gang. No, the only thing I don't carry is a spare. With everything else I carry, there is no room!

Vic Piano 03-12-2016 06:30 PM

Have a blast Tom, sure wish I was going with ya.:):cool: