The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New video on How to Do a Lube Job on a Model A Ford (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256313)

markhayward 12-17-2018 10:20 PM

New video on How to Do a Lube Job on a Model A Ford

I decided to make the video that would've helped me with my first lube job when I was starting out with my Model A. I was fortunate to be in a great club at the time (the 3-River Region club in Pittsburgh PA), but not everyone is so lucky.

My hope is that this video will be a great tool to help younger people (who tend to look to youtube first for instructions), and those who are new to the hobby.

Enjoy, and please feel free to share it far and wide:
https://youtu.be/A7ALPB2wsmc

29er 12-17-2018 10:55 PM

Re: New video on How to Do a Lube Job on a Model A Ford

Hey Mark! Great video and a great contribution, too. Thanks!Hope you'll make more.

Mike in Oregon

Scoupe 12-17-2018 11:26 PM

Great video!

Jeff/Illinois 12-17-2018 11:41 PM

Mark and Christine, great video! Well done!!

Thank you for making this, and welcome!

Nice Model A too by the way I love it!!!!

TerryH 12-17-2018 11:55 PM

Nicely done.....I look forward to more of your efforts!

Bruce of MN 12-18-2018 06:15 AM

Excellent video!

I saw you don't have one of these, to give you another lube opportunity! https://www.brattons.com/distributor...-oil-hole.html

jquinlan 12-18-2018 08:00 AM

I'll be soon doing my first lube and this video is informative and helpful. Thank you Mark and your lovely assistant for taking the time to share.

TZBrown 12-18-2018 08:54 AM

Nicely done video
Thanks for taking the time to do this and to share

Hoovercw 12-18-2018 11:59 AM

Have I been lubing the wrong side of my water pump all this time? I though it was the fitting with the cap on it.

TZBrown 12-18-2018 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoovercw (Post 1707121)
Have I been lubing the wrong side of my water pump all this time? I though it was the fitting with the cap on it.

He stated in the video "know which pump you have" His has a sealed rear bearing and takes no lube, therefore he only lubed the front one

California Travieso 12-18-2018 03:55 PM

Very helpful video and very professionally done. They spoke clearly and to the point, and the camera was not moving around like in a lot of amateur video.

David Serrano

30 Closed Cab PU 12-18-2018 04:29 PM

Great Video. Nicely done, and a bit of humor.

A few suggestions.

Am not an expert, have been told these things, research on the Barn and verify for yourself. Hope others will correct any misunderstanding I may have.

Adding oil to the distributor cup- It is supposed to be filled as much as it will take, not just adding a couple of drops. Purpose is to get oil to work its way up to the Distributor Shaft Upper Bearing. I believe this method is outlined in the Owners Guide/manual. You can also perform a modification or install parts to modify the cam screw and distributor shaft. A hole is drilled down through the center of the dist. cam screw, and the shaft drilled to provide a passage to the upper bearing. Add a little oil to the hole in the cam screw and it lubes the distributor upper bearing. The Mod is not really needed if you fill the cup completely.

You mention needing to know which pump you have, but light on the details as to why. If you have a pump requiring greasing on the coolant side, if the coolant side is over greased and is not a sealed version, grease can get into the coolant, then balls up and clogs the radiator. Most Barners know this, but someone new to As may not know. Only a partial pump of the grease gun is needed.

Do not over do the throw-out bearing - grease may migrate into the clutch surfaces.

Hope this is useful to you.

markhayward 12-18-2018 06:07 PM

Thanks for the kind words and comments/suggestions everyone! I'm really glad to know that the video is helpful to people, so thank you to all of you who have shared it with your Model A friends.

Y-Blockhead 12-18-2018 08:51 PM

Nice video Mark and Christine. I know it is "not on the list" but may I suggest lubing your springs also? I use B'laster Dry Graphite https://www.amazon.com/d/Power-Tool-...hite+lubricant on my springs. Be careful of overspray tho. It is difficult to get off. improves the ride.

Don't over do it on the throw out bearing. Most throw out bearings available these days are sealed. Any grease you pump in there only lubes the trans snout/bearing hub.

holdover 12-19-2018 01:49 PM

those of you that have the old style fittings and use the adapter on your grease gun, soon discover that a lot of grease does not go where it is suppose to. If you put a very small O ring in the adapter, then apply it to the fitting pushing slightly on the grease gun, it will work about as good as a modern three prong gun fitting. Those of you with a lathe can use a modified bit to cut a small recess to hold the O ring in place

Y-Blockhead 12-19-2018 02:17 PM

Good idea holdove. As an alternate way, I use a needle point nozzle similar to this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and just stick it in the hole. You can also use the needle nozzle to squirt a little between your leaf springs.

burner31 12-19-2018 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Honey Bee, who would have thought.
And here I've been fighting it all this time.
Thank you for showing the way.

shark 81 12-19-2018 03:06 PM

great job!

woofa.express 12-19-2018 03:14 PM

Now you have just made more work for me by telling me there are more grease and oil points to attend to than I ever knew of. A well presented video. Your car looks good and your wife isn't too bad either.

markhayward 12-19-2018 04:02 PM

Thanks! I knew she was a keeper when she said she wanted to work on the car!