The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ah Ha! I'm Brilliant! (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62558)

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-18-2012 07:30 PM

Ah Ha! I'm Brilliant!

No doubt, over the years you've come up with a trick or idea or a procedure that helped on your "A." You think, "Bet nobody ever thought of that!":D
Time to 'fess up and share it!:D Bill W.

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-18-2012 08:00 PM

Re: Ah Ha! I'm Brilliant!

Someone P.M'd Me, doesn't like this thread, called me a "SICK PUPPY!":eek:?????????? bILL w. Well, I don't hOw tO TypE WeLL EitHer.:confused::confused:

Jim/GA 02-18-2012 08:02 PM

A 12 volt, 3 CP bulb installed in your instrument panel light on your original 6 volt model A will give you a nice dim, glowing light on your instruments that you won't mind leaving on while you drive at night. The stock 6 volt bulb is too bright.

VWJoe 02-18-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 367628)
No doubt, over the years you've come up with a trick or idea or a procedure that helped on your "A." You think, "Bet nobody ever thought of that!":D
Time to 'fess up and share it!:D Bill W.

Well Bill, this might not apply to a model a since I have yet to find a phillips head screw on mine:confused: but have you ever had a phillips head screw that was boggered up in the cross and tight as the dickens ?? Try putting a dab of valve grinding compound on the tip of the phillips screw driver and screw that sucker out !!! :D

oljoe001 02-18-2012 08:34 PM

I converted My Model a over to run on water!!! "sssshhhhh" Dont tell anyone I dont want the gas companies to find out. As I fear for my life. lol

bobpo 02-18-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oljoe001 (Post 367670)
I converted My Model a over to run on water!!! "sssshhhhh" Dont tell anyone I dont want the gas companies to find out. As I fear for my life. lol

O.K., I'll be quiet about it if you could elaborate....... :p:confused::o:)

oljoe001 02-18-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobpo (Post 367698)
O.K., I'll be quiet about it if you could elaborate....... :p:confused::o:)

Well took plugs out and replaced with 1500 watt lasers inject water, fire the laser and instant steam wah lah a steam engine......... Sounds good huh....hey you had to ask lol

Milton 02-19-2012 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oljoe001 (Post 367670)

The equipment in front of the car is what you use to distill the water to run on? :D

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-19-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWJoe (Post 367660)
Well Bill, this might not apply to a model a since I have yet to find a phillips head screw on mine:confused: but have you ever had a phillips head screw that was boggered up in the cross and tight as the dickens ?? Try putting a dab of valve grinding compound on the tip of the phillips screw driver and screw that sucker out !!! :D

VWJoe,
Great idea!:D That might even help on slot head screws to keep the blade from crawling out. For slot head screws, I hollow grind the tip of the blade so it has straight sides instead of wedge shape sides, helps quite a bit. Bill W.

Leathernek 02-19-2012 12:31 AM

I umm..... get on here and steal y'alls tricks!!!!!

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-19-2012 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leathernek (Post 367798)
I umm..... get on here and steal y'alls tricks!!!!!

We'll BILL you later!:D:D:D:D Credit card # please____________Or would you prefer to use Pay-Gal?:p Bill W. (my dog just laughed for the first time!) Life is good!:p

Mike V. Florida 02-19-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 367795)
VWJoe,
Great idea!:D That might even help on slot head screws to keep the blade from crawling out. For slot head screws, I hollow grind the tip of the blade so it has straight sides instead of wedge shape sides, helps quite a bit. Bill W.

A good set of gunsmith screw drivers have this "feature". I have seen some that are even a little hollow ground to help the tip move down into the screw.

Roadster62 02-19-2012 01:43 AM

Hood hinge rod removal with an electric drill works well. Lube up the hinge with your favorite penetrating oil let sit overnight. Tap the rod out an inch or so, attach the drill to it. Once you get it spin just put some pressure on it and it will pull out.

Leathernek 02-19-2012 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 367808)
We'll BILL you later!:D:D:D:D Credit card # please____________Or would you prefer to use Pay-Gal?:p Bill W. (my dog just laughed for the first time!) Life is good!:p

Credit Card #1234567890 :D!!!!!!! If it don't go through, just put it on my TAB!!!!! lol

Josh

28RPU 02-19-2012 02:15 PM

Wish I could contribute but I'm dumb as a rock.:(

al's28/33 02-19-2012 02:30 PM

I have a 2 year old daughter who is running all around, putting her hands on everything........so to protect my "A" I have walled off half the garage using an old refridgerator box.

No more sticky fingerprints on shiny black fenders!!!

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-19-2012 07:05 PM

Cut an old coil wire in half,:eek: peel of 1" of insulation on each end, insert each end through 2 opposing holes in a small button, twist them tightly & neatly, & Voille,' you have a built in, hands free, spark testing GIZMO!!:D
Another trick, to test your coil tower for high voltage leak, in the dark, coil wire out, key on, crank it and look for spark jumping out of coil tower to primary terminals or coil case.:eek: Bill W.

(There's 1 Barner that thinks I NEVER contribute usefull info.:eek: So how about that, DUDE.:D)

columbiA 02-19-2012 08:47 PM

If you want to check the spark at the plugs,hold a flourescent tube near a plug wire & it will flash every time a plug fires.Even a burnt-out one will do.

[email protected] 02-19-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by columbiA (Post 368487)
If you want to check the spark at the plugs,hold a flourescent tube near a plug wire & it will flash every time a plug fires.Even a burnt-out one will do.

I have my neighbors redheaded stepson hold on to the plug wires while I crank it over. His hair's standing on end more and more each day so we're using him as a crossing guard now. He's always been ugly enough to stop traffic and now he can really get their attention. It's really fun now because his eyes have crossed and the spark is actually bridging across the bridge of his nose. I've made $18.75 charging other neighbors 2 bits a piece to come in the garage and watch the show. Now the other day I notice a fat 300 lb bearded lady down at the other end of the park and I'm sure with some modifications I'll be able to get a few bucks more by adding on to the show.

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-22-2012 03:51 AM

A friend's idea,when fitting those +*&$%#@^ fussy fender and bodywelts, secure them in place with peel off self sticky velcro patches, they can be repositioned if necessary and they also make up extra thickness for those areas that might not grip it tightly.:eek: I had a loose one, an I put some Gorilla Glue in a hypo needle, injected it in the crack and taped it down 'til it dried.:D
For that dried white wax in hidden cracks, push drier lint into a soft toohbrush, dip it in water, scrub crack, wipe with damp cloth, and it looks perfect! I also amused Pat by making stick on mustaches from the lint.:D
How to know if you'r old, whatever color you tee shirt is, your belly button lint is always GREY!:D Try it!!:eek: Bill W. (I fired the Ghost!!)