The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   About to start a flathead V8 (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247749)

vintrex 07-14-2018 12:09 AM

About to start a flathead V8

I'm about to start a flathead V8 in a 1947. It is my first time starting a flathead as I am used to working on 60's motors. It appears to be the first time this motor has been started in a while. I have to re-assemble the distributor but any suggestions please let me know....

Tinker 07-14-2018 01:09 AM

Re: About to start a flathead V8

Fresh oil. drop pan and open intake. Clean it out.

Mart 07-14-2018 02:34 AM

No different than any other engine. Check it has oil and water. Spin it over with plugs out to check it has oil pressure. Check for spark. Put plugs in. A shot of fuel down the carb and go for it.

Edit: maybe you should tell us when it was last run, it might make a difference to the advice offered (After reading post above).

Mart.

chap52 07-14-2018 07:16 AM

With the plugs out can you turn it over by hand using a socket and breaker bar on the front pulley nut? Did you drain the old oil? Was there water in it or anything else that didn't belong there? Those cylinders no doubt are dry and maybe a bit rusted. I would take a oil squirt can and with the plugs out squirt a little oil in each plug hole. Squirt it up on the valves and down into the cylinders also.
If your purpose for starting it is just to say "it started" and you plan on taking it out and going through the whole engine that would have a bearing on how you proceed. If your ready to fire it up and drive it as is if possible I would take all the preparatory precautions to be sure those old rings have a little lubrication between them and the cylinder walls.
You may have to pour a bit of gas down the carb, remember these flatheads "flood" easily. Fully charged battery, fire extinguisher and do it outside of your shop/garage as a precaution.
This will be one of the greatest moments of your project adventure. Make it a safe one and please keep up posted. Chap

rotorwrench 07-14-2018 09:24 AM

I'd do a compression check first to make sure that there are no stuck valves or other cylinder problems. After your distributor is reinstalled you can check for good spark. If the fuel system is ready to go and lubricants are in place then go for it.

vintrex 07-14-2018 10:09 AM

10-4, i'll put it on the list.

vintrex 07-14-2018 11:46 AM

Thanks Chap,

That was very informative and helpful. My goal is to see if the motor will start and then run smoothly and well after that. I will make sure after reading your post to do a lot more slow and methodical prep work before attempting to start. I have posted one picture of the motor but unfortunately every time I have tried to post others that have failed to upload for some reason. I do have to replace the radiator hoses as one appears to be heavily charred and I think that whole "fire thingy" he has possibly happened once before. I will keep you up-to-date and try to continue to upload photos. Currently I am looking at Mac's for parts but does anyone know of other resources?

34pickup 07-14-2018 12:09 PM

Here is what I did to the one I just got. I pulled the plugs and fogged oil into each cylinder and let it set about a few days. I had to rebuild the carb and get a new fuel pump because they were full of hardened old fuel. I checked the oil to make sure it was sufficient. I then hit the starter to see if it would turn over. It did so then I replaced the oil and filter, gave it some gas and ether, and she cranked and ran.
Your photos are probably too large to upload. I have to go back and edit mine, sometimes you just need to go to edit and crop the sides down a bit, save the photo and try to upload it again.

chap52 07-14-2018 03:14 PM

Sometimes pictures are too large and need to be resized. You can always try just loading one at a time. There have been several posts on how to do both tasks.
Caution: Starting one of these flatheads for the fist time can cause face pain from the grin you instantly develop. Be ready to explain the goofy look on your face to those who see you before it fades away. Chap

vintrex 07-14-2018 03:16 PM

I will definitely try everything as I want this to go as smooth as possible.

vintrex 07-15-2018 12:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the motor in its current glory

vintrex 07-16-2018 06:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ha! I found my distributor.....anyone know of a reassembly video ?

34pickup 07-16-2018 07:53 PM

Vanpeltsales has a lot of good information on their web site.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...r_1945to48.JPG

Ritzy1 07-16-2018 07:56 PM

Vintrex, I'll second the suggestion that you visit VanPelt Sales' website: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/. It's a wealth of information and parts. Here's a link to their recommended start-up procedure: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_startup.htm. Good luck!

paul2748 07-16-2018 07:58 PM

If you haven't worked on the early distributors before, you might want to think about sending it to one who is expert on them. Jim Linder (Bubba) comes to mind. He posts here

JSeery 07-16-2018 08:00 PM

I would box it up and send it to Bubba.

fordwife 07-16-2018 09:02 PM

It looks like you have one distributor minus cap, condenser and rotor and parts of another.

vintrex 07-17-2018 08:31 AM

Yep!���� The cap is still under the hood.

vintrex 07-17-2018 08:32 AM

I will try to make contact with Jim.

vintrex 07-17-2018 09:38 AM

Ok, so to even get close to a point where I could think of giving this motor a twirl I have to take care of the distributor which we talked about already. The radiator hoses are shredded and even look to be somewhat charred. So, on that note has anyone used any particular kit that has worked well or are flex hoses pretty much the "go to". I measured it at approximately 25" so they are fairly long.

Next, distributor cap and wire sets...? I would like to know what has worked well for others so I don't waste funds...

Eventually I would like to gravitate towards 12v but if that isn't recommended please also advise...