The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tires (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278963)

Dean Lemoine 04-05-2020 06:48 AM

Tires

I need to order new tires for my ‘29 Tudor project. I’m considering the 440/450R21 American Classic radial. Any pro and con information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any responses.

old31 04-05-2020 07:18 AM

Re: Tires

I have those tires in 19" WW and they are great.

A real nice upgrade from biased tires, and you will not be sorry you spent the money.

Ak Sourdough 04-05-2020 03:19 PM

My nephew put them on his 31 pickup, 19's. He says the difference between them and the old dried out bias plys is dramatic.

Synchro909 04-05-2020 05:44 PM

3 out of my 4 Model As are 21" wheels. I have seen a couple of later cars with 19" radials fitted and the owners like them but 21" seem to be pretty rare and no one I have encountered has used or even seen them. I'm following this closely too, though the price will be HUGE.

TerryO 04-05-2020 07:20 PM

I have a new set waiting to be installed and I am looking foward to driving on them due to all the positive feedback from everyone.

TOB

Ak Sourdough 04-06-2020 04:25 AM

I bought a set of 21's directly from Coker, had them shipped to a buddy's shop in Alabama and picked them up on my way from Florida to California in my motorhome. 5 for right around 1200 bucks as I recall, with tubes and the rubber bands that cover the spokes. Haven't installed them yet. They seem pretty heavy, freight to Australia will be fierce I expect. Coker had them in stock, shipped the next day.

Synchro909 04-06-2020 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ak Sourdough (Post 1870768)
I bought a set of 21's directly from Coker, had them shipped to a buddy's shop in Alabama and picked them up on my way from Florida to California in my motorhome. 5 for right around 1200 bucks as I recall, with tubes and the rubber bands that cover the spokes. Haven't installed them yet. They seem pretty heavy, freight to Australia will be fierce I expect. Coker had them in stock, shipped the next day.

Freight to Australia would cost me my first born except that I have a contact who can bring them over by surface freight. It costs a tiny fraction of the normal air freight but it takes 5 months (that's not a typo).
Some suppliers will deliver within the US. Would the people from whom you bought yours do that? At that price, and with what I am saving by not going anywhere during this virus shutdown, I may be able to do it.

Ak Sourdough 04-06-2020 03:53 PM

Coker Tire is in Chattanooga Tennessee, they shipped the tires a couple hundred miles south into Alabama for me so I wouldn't have to drive the extra distance. The salesman on the phone was able to get the price down to about 20 dollars more than the catalog listings including FedEx to Alabama. Really a nice guy and helpful. My suggestion is to call Coker Tire and talk to them.

My nephew bought his from Speedway or Summit, not sure which. I think they shipped to California for free but he had to pay California sales tax. Was no tax to Alabama.

TerryO 04-06-2020 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ak Sourdough (Post 1870978)
Coker Tire is in Chattanooga Tennessee, they shipped the tires a couple hundred miles south into Alabama for me so I wouldn't have to drive the extra distance. The salesman on the phone was able to get the price down to about 20 dollars more than the catalog listings including FedEx to Alabama. Really a nice guy and helpful. My suggestion is to call Coker Tire and talk to them.

My nephew bought his from Speedway or Summit, not sure which. I think they shipped to California for free but he had to pay California sales tax. Was no tax to Alabama.

I had mine shipped (Fed EX) to N. GA 50 miles from Coker for $30.00 less than driving to Chattanooga and paying sales tax. Delivery was the next day.

TOB

M2M 04-07-2020 12:33 AM

Coker has a free US shipping deal at the moment on sales of $499+

Dean Lemoine 04-07-2020 12:16 PM

Thanks to all for the replies. I ordered 5 radial tires and tubes from Coker today. M2M is right, free shipping. Now, to install and balance ??

old31 04-07-2020 04:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I made a platform and raised it up using milk crates. The hub goes down into the hole.

I used 3 HF tire irons and there tire balancer. Sure helps if you have a helper to mount the tires. Make sure you soap up the tires real good to slip them on.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qu...hts-67225.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/portab...cer-39741.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/24-inc...ron-93230.html

Synchro909 04-07-2020 05:45 PM

These tyres are soft. I've never used anything more than a rubber mallet to fit tyres to my Model As (no soap). If I get a flat roadside, I can remove the tyre with only one small lever and replace it with my bare hands if it is warm.

Ak Sourdough 04-07-2020 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1871387)
These tyres are soft. I've never used anything more than a rubber mallet to fit tyres to my Model As (no soap). If I get a flat roadside, I can remove the tyre with only one small lever and replace it with my bare hands if it is warm.

I haven't tried mounting my radials yet, but they are heavy and stiff compared to the old bias ply tires. Not just a rubber covered rag. Pretty sure you won't push them on with your hands.

Dean Lemoine 04-09-2020 11:35 AM

Radial Tires came in yesterday. They were fairly easy to mount considering I’m not an experienced tire guy. Unfortunately 2 of the 5 wheels are not turning perfectly true.

Synchro909 04-09-2020 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Lemoine (Post 1872069)
Radial Tires came in yesterday. They were fairly easy to mount considering I’m not an experienced tire guy. Unfortunately 2 of the 5 wheels are not turning perfectly true.

Please give us a report on how they behave on the road.

Dean Lemoine 04-09-2020 06:51 PM

I will Syncro, but it’ll probably be a couple of months before the car is up and running.

eagle 04-13-2020 09:56 AM

Not turning true is a big problem. Let the air out, break the bead, lay the tire/rim flat and center the tire carefully on the rim, then air it up. Might help.

Dean Lemoine 04-13-2020 11:56 AM

It isn’t a tire problem, 2 of the wheels are bent. I hadn’t realized it before mounting the new tires. The car was literally a “basket” case when I bought it. I took it home in boxes and buckets.

Synchro909 04-13-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Lemoine (Post 1873898)
It isn’t a tire problem, 2 of the wheels are bent. I hadn’t realized it before mounting the new tires. The car was literally a “basket” case when I bought it. I took it home in boxes and buckets.

A bucket of bolts???:rolleyes:
I expect replacement wheels are not difficult to find over there so that would likely be a better way forward than trying to straighten them, though it is possible.