The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Remove/Replace Headlight Reflector (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272907)

jharrellh 11-20-2019 07:04 AM

Remove/Replace Headlight Reflector

I am probably overlooking the obvious, but I didn't want to force anything - how do you remove the headlight reflectors from the headlight bucket?

dbaldwi3 11-20-2019 07:33 AM

Re: Remove/Replace Headlight Reflector

Open lens cover, remove bulbs, gently pull reflector bucket forwards it will slide right out.

jharrellh 11-20-2019 08:30 AM

Thanks for the fast reply, I will give it a shot!

Ray in La Mesa 11-20-2019 09:28 AM

A little closer look will reveal that at the 3 & 9 o'clock positions are small tabs at the front edge of the bucket that hold the reflector in, The reflector should just slide off the bulb socket (the socket is notched to index the bulb filaments).

Joe K 11-20-2019 09:39 AM

If your socket is corroded to the reflector, you can undo and remove the "focus screw" at the back of the bucket. This will at least allow you to access the back side of the bucket, potentially snip the wires for removal, or demounting the "plug" remove the entire assembly with the bulb socket in place.

A lot of "weathered" buckets have the 3 & 9 tits corroded off - and a corresponding ring of rust making a "rust joint" between the reflector cork gasket and the bucket. A utility knife can knife this and free the reflector.

If you're to this point you probably want to get new reflectors anyway with new gaskets.

Joe K

jharrellh 11-20-2019 10:56 AM

Thanks again everyone! The lighting is pretty bad where I have the car stored, looking closer this morning I could see the tabs at 3 and 9 that I had to unbend. Now I just need to deal with a stripped adjusting screw. Any suggested vendors for quality sockets?

redmodelt 11-20-2019 11:26 AM

I just push the reflector to one side to release from the tab if needed or just pop it out. The tabs are there to keep it from rotating. The original reflector had the socket offset by just a little and the tabs keep it centered. You should not need to bend them up.

jharrellh 11-20-2019 12:14 PM

Thanks, someone had bent these over pretty aggressively in the past but I'm all set now.

Charlie Stephens 11-20-2019 01:20 PM

You didn't ask but I thought I would mention that the best reflectors are available from Bratton's. They invested to have the correct tooling made. I don't know is they have released their product to other Model A suppliers.

Charlie Stephens

ryanheacox 11-20-2019 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jharrellh (Post 1823360)
Thanks again everyone! The lighting is pretty bad where I have the car stored, looking closer this morning I could see the tabs at 3 and 9 that I had to unbend. Now I just need to deal with a stripped adjusting screw. Any suggested vendors for quality sockets?

I don't think any vendor has a high quality headlight socket. They can be fiddled with and made pretty decent but if you want good ones maybe call Bert's in Denver and see if they have any originals.

Gary WA 11-20-2019 10:03 PM

dont forget gasket cork

mhsprecher 11-20-2019 11:02 PM

I bought Bratton's reflectors for both my Model As. What a difference.