The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Bud Vase bracket (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270904)

1930artdeco 10-14-2019 06:57 PM

Bud Vase bracket

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can pick up two brackets for some bud vase that I got from the antique store? They are the carnival style glass vases.

Thanks,

Mike

CHuDWah 10-14-2019 08:20 PM

Re: Bud Vase bracket

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1930artdeco (Post 1809642)
Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can pick up two brackets for some bud vase that I got from the antique store? They are the carnival style glass vases.

Thanks,

Mike

Dunno if this will work but FWIW - stainless and $39.95/pair from Snyder's (https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/P...rchByKeyword):

https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/i..._18101_BKT.jpg

Looks like it wouldn't be hard to make something similar.

thom 10-14-2019 08:48 PM

Would bud vases be used in a Sport Coupe? Where would they be mounted?

redmodelt 10-15-2019 12:27 AM

Any place you want that is out of the way.

Charlie Stephens 10-15-2019 06:57 AM

I remember bud vases and brackets being advertised in the Restorer or the Model A News but it has been several years. I wonder if they still advertise there?

Charlie Stephens

CHuDWah 10-15-2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thom (Post 1809681)
Would bud vases be used in a Sport Coupe? Where would they be mounted?

Bud vases were an aftermarket accessory and could be used in any car with a place to mount them. In a Sport Coupe, about the only place is the B-pillar right behind the door. If you can find/make an angled bracket, you probably could mount them on the legs of the rear top bow or maybe on the metal brace between the bows.

ronn 10-15-2019 01:15 PM

often on the bay............. square too!

Ray in La Mesa 10-16-2019 08:32 AM

With a little bit of practice & adjusting I made paper template to build brackets. Once you figure out the right curve for the horizontal piece transfer it to the sheet metal & pop rivet it to the vertical piece. I used ss so it was a bit tuff to get the bends right.

abachman3 10-16-2019 09:45 AM

There is a vendor that sells various shaped ones that is at the Spring/Fall Jefferson swap meets in Wisconsin. I have purchased from her in the past. I looked through my business cards but didn't find any info. I believe they were in the under $50.00 range... but can't be more precise. These are new... not originals.

1930artdeco 12-18-2019 03:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
UPDATE:

So I was going to see if I could cast them myself just for fun-but I needed a form made. So I ended up finding a local H.S. senior that is making them for me as a side business/project. He gets a little money and some experience and I get a set made.

When I went in to talk with him and his instructor I ended up feeling sooooo behind the times. I know they can print in plastic and metal but he showed me hybrid plastic-metal infused plastics! Eventually he is going to make me some samples made out of Brass/steel/Copper/bronze and if I want aluminum. Once it gets printed and cleaned up he polishes it and it will look just like whatever metal it is made out of.

Once he is done with the samples and which ever metal I chose I will post pics for you all to see. This 3D printing I think will save the hobby as unique parts get scarcer than they already are.

Mike

ryanheacox 12-18-2019 03:50 PM

Very neat! Did you draw up that holder or did he?

1930artdeco 12-18-2019 06:57 PM

I found a Pic on Etsy that they copied and then used the vase for measurements. I came up with the 'back plate' that goes against the wall. He had such fun with the project he crew up 8 different back plate designs himself. So I will have him print three different plates along with this one.

Mike

CHuDWah 12-19-2019 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1930artdeco (Post 1832867)
I found a Pic on Etsy that they copied and then used the vase for measurements. I came up with the 'back plate' that goes against the wall. He had such fun with the project he crew up 8 different back plate designs himself. So I will have him print three different plates along with this one.

Mike

That Art Deco detail on the back plate is pretty cool and very much in keeping with the Model A era.

Ronald 12-19-2019 11:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is mine mounted on dash of a Tudor, out of the way.

mike657894 12-20-2019 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1930artdeco (Post 1832797)
UPDATE:

So I was going to see if I could cast them myself just for fun-but I needed a form made. So I ended up finding a local H.S. senior that is making them for me as a side business/project. He gets a little money and some experience and I get a set made.

When I went in to talk with him and his instructor I ended up feeling sooooo behind the times. I know they can print in plastic and metal but he showed me hybrid plastic-metal infused plastics! Eventually he is going to make me some samples made out of Brass/steel/Copper/bronze and if I want aluminum. Once it gets printed and cleaned up he polishes it and it will look just like whatever metal it is made out of.

Once he is done with the samples and which ever metal I chose I will post pics for you all to see. This 3D printing I think will save the hobby as unique parts get scarcer than they already are.

Mike

I got an ancient 3d printer.....made by bridgeport.

duke36 12-20-2019 02:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another style bracket.

1930artdeco 01-22-2020 07:04 PM

5 Attachment(s)
UPDATE

Ok Here are the samples that I ordered. The first four are made with plastic/metal in the following order:

-Copper
-Copper-He used two different manufacturers products so they have different hues and weights.
-Steel
-Brass-Slightly greenish in color like it has oxidized
-The last one has different bases and the bright green blank has an angles 'cup'.

If someone has this style of vase and needs brackets please PM me. They will come out to about $55 ea.

Mike

The Master Cylinder 01-22-2020 07:50 PM

Very nice Mike. Muck better looking than the 'sheet' metal looking ons the vendors have. I don't have any bud vases right now but if I did I certainly would buy a couple.