The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   And Just Like That...A 36 Cabriolet Falls Into My Lap... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210564)

FordMike 12-08-2016 10:24 PM

And Just Like That...A 36 Cabriolet Falls Into My Lap...

Well, not exactly. But I still haven't really come to terms with being able to own such a car. I've always had a thing for them, but always passed it off as more of a "when I hit the lotto" pipe dream. So anyway, I saw this car listed in an estate auction about two hours from me and never really thought anything of it until a good friend of mine sent the link to me again a few days before the sale. That got me thinking... If I happen to be free that day, maybe I'll go check it out. So the day of the sale comes, and I reluctantly head out to see the car knowing full well it is a car well out of my price range. I get there about 20 minutes before the car is slated to cross the auction block and check it out.

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...psvn8u5a2s.jpg

Over all the car is great, its about 85% restored and seems to be a fairly good job at that. One look at the engine for me screams that it would run with little to no effort, oil and anti freeze where they're supposed to me, it all looks good. But I'm still thinking I'm wasting my time here. The last thing someone my age should be thinking of buying is an old car of this caliber, I mean, for what these things go for I'd be much better off going to college. but I stay to watch what happens.

It gets to be time to sell the cars from the estate and a thunderbird goes first, the car goes for alot more than I thought it was worth, especially for the condition. So as I am about to leave bidding starts on the 36, I almost can't believe what is happening, there is little to no interest in this thing, and the auctioneer explains it will be selling without a reserve. (Luckily I had been saving to put a down payment on a new daily driver car and I had some cash with me. Not alot be any means but enough for me to quickly calculate the buyers premium and tax in my head.) So I bid, no more interest from the crowd, and its sold. Unbelievable.

So I bought the car, giving it only a quick once over, and not taking any inventory of any of the parts that are included with the sale. I pay, and arrange to pick it up the following day (Halloween).

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps19vbusvp.jpg

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...pstlmcimhj.jpg

As we are loading it I realize that the entire interior as well as a complete top are included in the boxes and boxes of parts. Talk about a home run... We drag it home and immediately start tinkering with it to see if we can get it running. After a new fuel pump and some streamlining of the wiring harness we get it to run. It fires right up but has a froze up waterpump and a rather prominent rod knock in the rear of the engine. Oh well. I haven't taken it apart yet because I can't drop the pan with the newer engine in the car. It hits the front crossmember before it slides back so I'll just cover all the bases and pull it out to go through it when I get a little time. I also have a project that is on the homestretch, so I'm gonna wrap that up before digging into this thing full force. Plus, who wouldn't like to look at a 36 cabriolet sitting in their garage while wrenching at night??

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...psvygcsvre.jpg

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...pssocyolwk.jpg

Some of the details about the car. It was bought out of New York sometime in the 1970s by the gentleman who's estate I purchased it from. The frame was in very poor condition and it was swapped out with another. The original engine was junk so a 1946 59ab and 39 trans were put in in place of the stock units. While he was doing modest updates to the driveline he converted the car to 42-48 hydraulic brakes. I am fine with these upgrades as I plan to do as much driving as possible with it so it saves me a little work. I will be going through the entire driveline this winter to fix all issues like brakelines, wiring, kingpins, spring shackles, and shocks. I'm hoping to have it on the road by next summer. Sorry about the lack of photos, I really haven't had an opportunity to shoot any good ones of it since I got it. I hope to post some updates of my progress on here if anyone is interested in following along.

JM 35 Sedan 12-08-2016 10:34 PM

Re: And Just Like That...A 36 Cabriolet Falls Into My Lap...

WOW!! Nice score. Congratulations.

RalphM 12-08-2016 10:41 PM

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!
Great find, er a bid?
What a beauty, so, going to rebuild the 59, or have you got different plans for her?

Brian 12-08-2016 10:48 PM

Great score! I think if you turn the crank to a certain position, you'll be able to drop that pan.

VeryTangled 12-08-2016 10:56 PM

GULP. Urg. Oxygen... Hurry please....

35cab 12-09-2016 02:42 AM

Fantastic car, congratulations, looks like a great project to tinker with.
Everything that has been done to the car puts you in a great position.
Even just going into the garage and seeing sitting there must be really exciting.
Keep us up to date and more photos would be great.
Xmas has come early.
Gordon.

glennsanders 12-09-2016 05:19 AM

Good luck with your car,looking like very nice car indeed . Enjoy

weemark 12-09-2016 06:11 AM

thats a nice car - the question on everyones mind though is what did you bid? :)

Bruce in southern OH 12-09-2016 06:34 AM

Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mhsprecher 12-09-2016 06:47 AM

Estate auctions that are under the radar are great places to get deals like this.

A guy I met got a 26 Model T sedan at an estate sale for $2,500 with a great original interior. Some tinkering and a new top and he was good to go. Congratulations!

When deals like this happen, you have to jump on them because they don't come around every day.

Are we interested in in following your progress? Does a bear poop in the woods? Yes, indeed.

Bursonaw 12-09-2016 07:48 AM

Nice car and great story, good luck with your restoration!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Barry-ct 12-09-2016 08:04 AM

Nice car, enjoy!

TomT/Williamsburg 12-09-2016 09:02 AM

Wow, wow, wow - sometimes all the stars align and things like this happen when you least expect it. Just an amazing story and even a more amazing car. I knew of a 36 roadster, all restored with 39 brakes and steering that was for sale after my good friend passed away. I can't say that I almost had it but I had a shot. I just could not afford it. Don't know what happened to it either ...

So, I will live vicariously through you on this one - good luck and good fortune and please provide updates when they happen ....

Ol' Ron 12-09-2016 09:03 AM

Yes, I had one of these back in the early 50's. Always one of my favorite Fords. Good luck.

corvette8n 12-09-2016 09:45 AM

" I hope to post some updates of my progress on here if anyone is interested in following along."
You bet I'm interested, 1936 Fords are my favorite, I spent 3 years looking for a 36-41 coupe, seems like the 36's were always priced out of my league, ended up with a nice '41 that I could afford.
Looking forward to your story and pictures.

38bill 12-09-2016 10:05 AM

One of my personal favorites for sure. Nothing like an old Ford rag top. Have fun with her!

sidevalve8ba 12-09-2016 10:21 AM

It's the old story of being in the right place at the right time. I am looking forward to following along as you get this one back on the road. Nice find, Mike.

Tim Ayers 12-09-2016 10:23 AM

Yep, a '36 rag top is on my bucket list as well.

Congrats & enjoy.

FordMike 12-09-2016 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphM (Post 1396767)
Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!
Great find, er a bid?
What a beauty, so, going to rebuild the 59, or have you got different plans for her?

The current plan is to rebuild the 59ab. It seems like a great motor, so unless there are some unforeseen issues with it, it will be staying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 1396773)
Great score! I think if you turn the crank to a certain position, you'll be able to drop that pan.

Cool, I didn't even think of that! I'll have to give it a try! Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by weemark (Post 1396852)
thats a nice car - the question on everyones mind though is what did you bid? :)

Well, I don't really want to share that info, but lets just say it may have been around the price of a Brookville Roadster model A body ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhsprecher (Post 1396860)
Estate auctions that are under the radar are great places to get deals like this.

A guy I met got a 26 Model T sedan at an estate sale for $2,500 with a great original interior. Some tinkering and a new top and he was good to go. Congratulations!

When deals like this happen, you have to jump on them because they don't come around every day.

Are we interested in in following your progress? Does a bear poop in the woods? Yes, indeed.

I've always been fortunate at auctions, but this buy takes the cake. I guess you never know if you don't go, so I go to sales a couple times a month! :D My dad has always told me from a young age to save my money in the event something you can't pass up crosses your path. I sure am grateful to have received that advice now!

Thanks to everyone who replied, I am delighted to see this forum has such an active community. This site has long been one of my favorite stops on the net and I am glad to see it shows no signs of dying out!

Sid the Maineiac 12-09-2016 10:26 AM

Wow ! You did hit the lottery on that one! My favorite car of all time, roadster or cabriolet, I'd take either one. Thank you for making us non-believers who think dreams can't come true realize that they do ! Enjoy to the max !