The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sport Coupe to Cabriolet conversion (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270825)

thom 10-13-2019 01:52 PM

Sport Coupe to Cabriolet conversion

What all would be involved in converting a 28-29 Sport Coupe to a Cabriolet?
Probably won't, just thinking.:eek:

WHN 10-13-2019 01:57 PM

Re: Sport Coupe to Cabriolet conversion

$$$$$$$$$$&$$$$$$$$

Sell your Sport Coupe and buy a nice Cabriolet.

Charlie Stephens 10-13-2019 02:02 PM

Simple 2 step process. Sell Sport Coupe, buy Cabriolet. Anything else is like trying to change a coupe to a roadster. A lot of work and you end up with something that is difficult to sell.

Charlie Stephens

keyswitch1 10-13-2019 02:02 PM

I cant seem to see any pictures ??

F.M. 10-13-2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keyswitch1 (Post 1809194)
I cant seem to see any pictures ??

Sleep on it !!

160B 10-13-2019 04:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo of a Cabriolet and a Sport Coupe, use the recommended procedure in post #2 and #3

Oldbluoval 10-13-2019 04:28 PM

You could likely make it look “somewhat” like a cabby but way too many differences.
Most if the body parts at not even close to similar
WHN got it right lmho

rotorwrench 10-13-2019 05:29 PM

The largest difference is the Ford coup pillar compared to the Fordor style pillar with the covered fuel tank and hood with extended belt line.

I think it could be done using the same basic design top and mechanism with the actual folding landau bars. This type of stuff would likely have to be fabricated since the dimensions are likely off between the sport coupe body and the cabriolet. The doors would have to be cut and modified for fully framed door glass as well. It would be a lot of work but would be a better idea than a coupster mod. Those things just never quite look right. A lift off hard top that looked like a sport coupe top might be another way to go but it would still basically be a coupster. I've seen similar cars on the HAMB.

The Brookville roadster body would likely cost a person less time, resources, and energy than converting a sport coupe body to a cabriolet. It's like climbing a mountain. Folks do it because it's not common. This forum doesn't have the tolerance for customs that the HAMB does but there are a few customizers that frequent here.

thom 10-13-2019 06:19 PM

Like I said, I was just thinking. I wouldn't want to wind up with anything like (most) of the "stuff" I've seen on the HAMB.

History 10-13-2019 06:56 PM

I was just thinking this the other day. I had no idea there were so many differences in a sport coupe and the cabriolet. I just assumed the top came down on one and not the other.

I've never understood why they even made a sport coupe. It's weird how my fancy changes from one style A to the next the longer I'm in this hobby. Or is it a way of life??????????

Thom,,, Let me know when you wanna come up and change the gas gauge out. I'll solder the replacement float on for you also. It's a quick job once you've done one.

Gary Karr 10-14-2019 12:34 PM

Keep in mind that the Cabriolet bodies were manufactured by Briggs and completely different from the Ford built Sport Coupe bodies. The hoods, cowls, doors, subframe, and all around sheet metal are different as well as the top, windows, windshield, and on and on. As mentioned above, if you want a Cabriolet, buy one and leave your Sport Coupe as is.

rotorwrench 10-14-2019 01:20 PM

The Cabriolet cars have extensive wood framing that supports the sheet metal and doors. The sheet metal is just an outer skin. The wood frame was built to hold the body to be more rigid while the top was down. The main bow in a sport coupe has a lot to do with keeping the body rigid. If a person substitutes a Cabriolet style main bow on the Sport Coupe type body, it may need some more steel in the body to beef things up a bit more for structural rigidity.

The roadster body belt line sets lower for that reason plus it has extra gussets at the B pillar to hold the door latching more rigid. It has small light weight doors. With the body lowered down, it had more structural metal behind the seat to hold the quarter panels better. Now a coupe body with no top would require something more to hold the heavier doors for latching and to keep the quarter panels from moving around. All that stuff would have to be considered.

California Travieso 10-14-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 160B (Post 1809238)
Here is a photo of a Cabriolet and a Sport Coupe, use the recommended procedure in post #2 and #3

Do you have a photo of the Cabriolet with the top up?

David Serrano

ronn 10-14-2019 03:45 PM

two much work.

160B 10-14-2019 04:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by California Travieso (Post 1809549)
Do you have a photo of the Cabriolet with the top up?

David Serrano

Here is a couple of photos.