The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Side Mirror Installation Tips Needed (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265212)

father-son 06-21-2019 02:18 PM

Side Mirror Installation Tips Needed

Getting ready to install a side rear view mirror in the top door hinge of a 29 Tudor. Any tips-tricks for install besides a big hammer and lots of heat?

1931 flamingo 06-21-2019 04:44 PM

Re: Side Mirror Installation Tips Needed

Mask the area well (cardboard and tape). You might get lucky. Try to get some 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone into the/around the pin and try to drive it up. The vendors sell a pin press (some have luck with it, some not so lucky). Worse case, grind the top of the pin off and drill. Try a search here as this has been discussed multiple times. Good luck.
Paul in CT

kimlinh 06-21-2019 06:06 PM

Can you take the top hinge off the car and work "on the Bench"?

mike657894 06-21-2019 09:10 PM

a little bit of patience and light hammering got my door pins out. maybe a little oil. you may want to give it a day or few to let the oil penetrate.

chap52 06-22-2019 07:27 AM

Had to drill mine about half an inch before it would budge. Use cardboard as advised. Mine was easy because my medal fabricator son was visiting and insisted on doing the task for his Pop's... Good getting old, I don't remember him or his brother ever grabbing the lawnmower out of my hands when they were 13 or so? Chap

slammin 06-25-2019 02:32 PM

I'm a believer in the tool to press out the hinge pins. I tried tapping the out with a drift punch. No luck. I built my own tool patterned after the commercial tools. It made a tough job simple. It is important to used rags or cardboard to protect the paint.

walkerlakeprinter 10-10-2019 01:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I installed my hinge mirror today. I used the pin removal tool from Snyders and it worked easily. I soaked the pin with PB Blaster last night and did not have any problem at all.

The only questions I have: Are the small set-screws really needed? They stick out so far, I am thinking I either need to leave them off or cut them down. Also, it seems the acorn nuts to attach the hinge pin and the mirror head must be metric.....3/8 is too small, 7/16 is too big, 11mm almost works, but I could not find my 10mm. Handy adjustable crescent always works....if I can find it.

1931 flamingo 10-10-2019 03:33 PM

I would find shorter set screws (ACE ?) JMO
Paul in CT

walkerlakeprinter 10-10-2019 04:19 PM

Next time I am in town I will check with Ace Hardware. I have to drive 13 miles each way and use more than a gallon of gas at $3.89 a gallon....so unless there is some other reason to drive, I will wait. Thanks.

Tacoma Bob 10-10-2019 04:45 PM

Broke the darn tool when I did mine. Used Kroil for several days too. When all was done the location did not work for me so I reversed the mirrors.

CarlG 10-10-2019 06:43 PM

Funny thing is that I had to use longer set screws on mine. Oh, and the tool that I got from the vendors worked perfectly.

tiger.1000 10-11-2019 02:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
"There's more than one way of skinning a cat"

History 10-11-2019 06:21 AM

Mr Tiger, is that a Cabriolet? Nice looking car from what I see.

Bob Bidonde 10-11-2019 07:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
My guess is that the hinge pin diameter in your car is 0.250". Drill the mirror bracket the same diameter as the door hinge pin. Use a hex head bolt, hex nut and lock washer in lieu of the hinge pin. Dress the bolt up with chrome nut covers.

The set screws in the mirror bracket make the mirror rotate with the door, so they are essential. I drilled and tapped the door hinge to receive the set screws.

The pictures are of my Victoria which has two hinges per door. Your car has three hinges per door.

Bill G 10-11-2019 12:33 PM

When I did my restoration, I had three hinge pins that were real buggers. A pneumatic hammer with a punch tip worked very well and did not do any damage to anything else. If you use this method, mask your paint well. The hammer has a tendency to wander, which I didn;t need to worry about because it was before painting.

walkerlakeprinter 10-11-2019 03:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was so happy with my driver's side hinge mirror and how easily the pin came out, that I ordered one for the passenger side. I decided to get a head start on removing the current hing pin and ran into a slight problem to solve. The bottom of the hinge had so many layers of paint on it that I used my abrasive flap grinder to get down to bare metal so I could accurately see the bottom of the pin.

That was the easy part. The next problem I had was that the same removal tool I used on the other side did not line up correctly with the pin. I solved the problem by grinding about 1/8" off the bottom bar of the tool where it contacted the door edge preventing it from lining up. After a couple of trips to the grinder, I saw that everything was lined up. I got the pin started so that I can finish it up when the mirror arrives on Monday.

walkerlakeprinter 10-12-2019 12:54 PM

It turns out the second pin was harder to remove than the first. After I had used the longer pin pusher, I tried to drive the hinge pin out with a longer punch and a hammer. That didn't work! I tried to drill up from the bottom and that proved harder than I thought. Next, I thought I could use my pneumatic chisel to drive it up from under the cap of the pin. All that did was bend the pin! Finally, after all that, including heating the hinge with a propane torch, it suddenly dawned on me to put a shorter pin pusher up into the hinge and use the longer one to drive it farther up. Duh! It worked like a charm after that. Sometimes the simplest answer takes the long way around in my brain.

katy 10-13-2019 10:22 AM

Quote:

Sometimes the simplest answer takes the long way around in my brain.
Ditto

dbaldwi3 10-22-2019 06:41 PM

Not trying to hijack this thread but I just installed a drivers side mirror on my Tudor, after trying all recommended methods I ended up having to drill the hinge pin completely out. My problem is the set screws I’m not seeing how they are supposed to clamp mirror to keep it in sync with the hinge? I’ve tightened the screws as much as I can but the mirror still swivels on the hinge?

thom 10-22-2019 08:15 PM

Our '28 Coupe came with peep mirrors that clamp on the edge of the doors. I really don't like them and the right side one will not adjust to the proper angle to be of any use. But if I remove them to install hinge pin mount type mirrors there will be ugly marks in the paint on the doors.