The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What's Your Preference: Restored, Original, Modified, Rod? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238721)

1930-Pickup 02-06-2018 02:14 PM

What's Your Preference: Restored, Original, Modified, Rod?

Please vote in the poll...

What are the Model A/AA preferences of the folks here on the Barn?

Restored:
For show, and/or driving. Stock. New or older restoration. No 'significant' modifications.

Original:
Unrestored and stock. Could have original type replacement parts for maintenance and repairs.

Modified:
Changes to wheels, brakes, upholstery, major performance equipment, etc.

Rod:
Hot Rod or Rat Rod. Includes highly modified body and chassis parts

Other:
None of the above? This is the catch-all bucket.

Like multiple types? You can choose multiple.

Remember, this is only your preference, regardless of what you own now.

Steve Plucker 02-06-2018 02:18 PM

Re: What's Your Preference: Restored, Original, Modified, Rod?

In this order: Original, Restored Original, Modified.

Pluck

CHuDWah 02-06-2018 03:06 PM

All the above. For a daily driver, street rod (which is not the same as hot rod to some folks) but certainly not a rat rod abortion. I like creature comforts in my DD - V8, auto, AC, etc.

denis4x4 02-06-2018 04:39 PM

Been looking for a thread like this to express some views that aren’t exactly popular. First off, I grew up in Southern California in the fifties and if you paid more than $100 for an A, somebody was screwing you! Modified a couple of cars in high school and parlayed that into a job in the hot rod business.

There is a certain satisfaction in taking an eighty year old engine and doubling the horsepower using equipment developed in the ’30’s and ’40’s. A visit to the Museum of American Speed (Speedway Motors) in Lincoln NE has the largest display of Model A engines with aftermarket equipment in the US that was developed while the A was still in production.

While the HAMB has a monthly thread on bangers, maybe it’s time for the ‘barn to take a page out of the HAMB book and offer a separate forum for modified A’s. In addiction to classifieds, the HAMB offers a board for pre ’65 traditional hot rods, traditional customs and a third forum that combines both subjects.

There are several threads that guarantee predictable responses; Float-A-Motor engine mounts, electronic ignitions, hydraulic brakes, 16” wheels and I’ll add a new one, starter motors.

Maybe it's time to reformat the 'barn.

NCRebel 02-06-2018 05:41 PM

I have to go with a restored original. That is what I know best (in a Model A), but love the workings of an original auto that runs and maintains all the designs of it's day (even if new or replacement parts are used).

michael a 02-06-2018 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denis4x4 (Post 1589557)
Been looking for a thread like this to express some views that aren’t exactly popular. First off, I grew up in Southern California in the fifties and if you paid more than $100 for an A, somebody was screwing you! Modified a couple of cars in high school and parlayed that into a job in the hot rod business.

There is a certain satisfaction in taking an eighty year old engine and doubling the horsepower using equipment developed in the ’30’s and ’40’s. A visit to the Museum of American Speed (Speedway Motors) in Lincoln NE has the largest display of Model A engines with aftermarket equipment in the US that was developed while the A was still in production.

While the HAMB has a monthly thread on bangers, maybe it’s time for the ‘barn to take a page out of the HAMB book and offer a separate forum for modified A’s. In addiction to classifieds, the HAMB offers a board for pre ’65 traditional hot rods, traditional customs and a third forum that combines both subjects.

There are several threads that guarantee predictable responses; Float-A-Motor engine mounts, electronic ignitions, hydraulic brakes, 16” wheels and I’ll add a new one, starter motors.

Maybe it's time to reformat the 'barn.

Modified and I have to go along with denis

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

slammin 02-06-2018 06:54 PM

I'm for the restored driver. 80 to 90% stock. Safety upgrades, LED brake lights, turn signals, seat belts, tubular shocks. Eventually installing a vintage hot water heater for those nippy morning drives. Maybe an F100 steering box, and Mitchell overdrive when funds allow.

Tacoma Bob 02-06-2018 07:01 PM

I'm with Slammin!

vern hodgson 02-06-2018 07:17 PM

Restored

Dick Steinkamp 02-06-2018 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slammin (Post 1589609)
I'm for the restored driver. 80 to 90% stock. Safety upgrades, LED brake lights, turn signals, seat belts, tubular shocks. Eventually installing a vintage hot water heater for those nippy morning drives. Maybe an F100 steering box, and Mitchell overdrive when funds allow.

I think most folks would put this in the poster's "modified" category.

It's funny how some will condemn all modifications to the A as Henry built it....except for the modifications they've made or would want to make. ;)

redmodelt 02-06-2018 07:52 PM

I would rather see an original survivor being driven and enjoy over an over restored pretty car. But nicely done cars are nice too.

Larry Jenkins 02-06-2018 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCRebel (Post 1589587)
I have to go with a restored original. That is what I know best (in a Model A), but love the workings of an original auto that runs and maintains all the designs of it's day (even if new or replacement parts are used).

Then where did you borrow the car shown in your Avatar?

jimalabam 02-06-2018 09:14 PM

Restored from best one you can find...:)

lake_harley 02-06-2018 09:29 PM

I have been a member here for years, but only recently became "active" since I only recently bought a Model A. I voted in the "modified" category. Where I live, in a pretty rural area, I'm on a road that the traffic is about 55-60 MPH when I pull out of my driveway. The Model A I recently bought is a '31 Coupe in what I'd call survivor car condition and hope to get started working on it soon.

After much mind-changing about the direction the car might take I think I've settled on retaining the 4-banger with some minor modifications to boost HP a bit to perhaps 50-ish HP. I also plan to convert to hydraulic brakes, lower it a bit with reverse eye springs and add a 3-speed overdrive transmission to improve cruise speed to match the roads I'll be driving.

There has never been a desire for, or place in my life for a show car. I prefer function over finish and would think that cars I've owned would be considered "presentable". I wouldn't think of doing serious, non-reversible modifications to my Model A.

I don't think what I plan is messing too much with the "spirit" of the car, just hoping to help it match my situation.

Lynn

J Wade 02-06-2018 09:48 PM

Restored original. Hopefully I I'll get there some day

Purdy Swoft 02-06-2018 10:08 PM

I prefer mods that improve performance but mostly don't show . I also like performance parts that were offered in the days that the model A was made and in popular use.

SeaSlugs 02-06-2018 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmodelt (Post 1589639)
I would rather see an original survivor being driven and enjoy over an over restored pretty car. But nicely done cars are nice too.

I am a sucker for rusty patina (true rusty patina not that faked brushed on crap) so I like survivors gives them unique character that cannot be replicated but safe to drive. Then a close 2nd I like the restored with fresh paint but tend to get lost in the sea of fresh paint vehicles at cruise ins. I appreciate the modified ones as well but sometimes the owners go overboard IMO.

Rat rods I'm mixed - one hand if they truly piece together the thing from our leftover rusted out rusted through crap I'm all for it saving that old steel. If they cut up a barn find or buy an older restoration and cut the body up and let it rust then we have problems haha.

Purdy Swoft 02-06-2018 11:06 PM

I want mine to have the correct wheels for the year of the model A . I dont cut or lower. I don't do anything that can't be reversed .

Randy in ca 02-06-2018 11:59 PM

I like them all and appreciate the blood, sweat and tears that has gone into them.

1927Tudor 02-07-2018 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy in ca (Post 1589726)
I like them all and appreciate the blood, sweat and tears that has gone into them.

Well said.