The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   new build with zero clearance,Hagerty (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269311)

31Abone 09-11-2019 10:46 AM

new build with zero clearance,Hagerty

Hagerty ins. has a site on youtube where a new model A engine build with zero clearance on rods and mains ? they show pulling car with a pickup to get it to turn over...my opinion is they are crazy ? I always use 1.5 thous on both? what say barners??

rotorwrench 09-11-2019 11:01 AM

Re: new build with zero clearance,Hagerty

Scroll down and look for "Babbitt Tolerance? .000?" thread. There are already a lot of comments about this engine build.

redmodelt 09-11-2019 09:15 PM

That would be burning them in. Done in the T era. The motor was built and hooked to a powerful electric motor or other power supply then the run till they smoked (at the factory no less!).

Synchro909 09-11-2019 09:43 PM

When I watched the video on this, I thought the bearings had been machined with a shovel. I think they are so rough that their so called zero clearance will soon become acceptable once the high spots are rubbed off and that wouldn't take long. Once the bearings are burninshed, they might be OK but I don't think I will be changing from my 0.0015" clearance on the mains (0.002" on the rear one)in a hurry.

Wick 09-12-2019 03:30 AM

I've been following this build. Nice clean shop.

Synchro909 09-12-2019 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wick (Post 1798159)
I've been following this build. Nice clean shop.

Too clean. I wouldn't feel comfortable working in there. I'd be afraid my wife would tell me to take off my shoes!

midgetracer 09-12-2019 01:16 PM

Nice to watch them pull the car with a rope tied to the center of the bumper. I've never had to pull a Model A to get a rebuilt engine to start.

ryanheacox 09-12-2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midgetracer (Post 1798328)
Nice to watch them pull the car with a rope tied to the center of the bumper. I've never had to pull a Model A to get a rebuilt engine to start.

I thought the same thing about the bumper but then again I took a deer out at 30 about a month ago and there was ZERO damage :eek:

Purdy Swoft 09-12-2019 01:28 PM

I remember a lot of old mechanics toeing the car or truck in an attempt to loosen a too tight engine . in most cases a too tight engine doesn't last very long !!!!!!!

Mike V. Florida 09-13-2019 12:09 AM

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269129

mike657894 09-13-2019 07:48 AM

Crazy, I would say no. I noticed the shop that did the work for him has model T stuff featured in there catalog first. so maybe their T experience is coming through on thier A babbits. Also at 240 for the three mains poured and cut, the time not spent finishing and preparing for a burn in might be the reason for the low cost.

But do you consider the amish crazy for churing butter and using horses? Them not having curtains might seem crazy till you think well they dont have lights so you wont see anything in there. Due to price and location I might go there if i need a Babbitt. And well get to see if the work holds up through the videos. Unless haggerty doesn't want to show its failures. Im thinking they will though.

Now if I was not someone trying to have the fun of working on my A a lot or had a car set up pro for touring or just for trouble free. I would go with 1.5 thousandths and pay a babbiter who put a near mirror finish on them

Railcarmover 09-13-2019 08:18 AM

I have a beautiful '29 block that was given to me..modern valves,pressed valve seats intake and exhaust,fresh pistons rings clean bores..hell,they even gyptol'ed the crankcase..with a bad center main cap,tinning failure.I've got a few center caps,might be able to fit one..but if the rest of the babbit was poured with the same shoddy workmanship I might be wasting my time.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

mike657894 09-13-2019 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Railcarmover (Post 1798578)
I have a beautiful '29 block that was given to me..modern valves,pressed valve seats intake and exhaust,fresh pistons rings clean bores..hell,they even gyptol'ed the crankcase..with a bad center main cap,tinning failure.I've got a few center caps,might be able to fit one..but if the rest of the babbit was poured with the same shoddy workmanship I might be wasting my time.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

But how sweet is it to brag that you got this or that for dam near free and only had to do this ....this ...this and that? HA! I got a motorcycle for pennies I'm running out of things to fix so it wont smoke. HA! But that damn near free motorcycle is a blast!

Im running a hand cut rear main cap against the advisement of every person I told about it other than the guy who handed me the bearing knife and a few instructions. I skipped an expensive insert job I was planning for a $20 set of used caps and a story. Right now I have more time than money. That could change at any time. But Im really enjoying this time Ive got! More than I would enjoy the money.

Railcarmover 09-13-2019 09:50 AM

You got me there,cheap wine still does.the job :)