The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Any tips for transmission,torque tube, and rear end install (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48349)

Big_Guys_baby 09-22-2011 09:40 AM

Any tips for transmission,torque tube, and rear end install

I am working on a 46 Coupe and have already taken the old transmission and drive shaft assembly out. I have a rebuilt transmission ready to put in this weekend but I wanted to check on any tips Ford Barners might have for me. The engine is still in the vehicle.

I am nervous about getting the clutch in right and adjusting the three "fingers" on the pressure plate. Also want to make sure that I get the torque tube bolted back on correctly.

I have a new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bushing, new rear motor mount under the transmission, and new drag link bushings and spring shackle mounts. I also bought a set of correct pressure plate bolts.

The speedometer never worked on the car, going to put a new cable in and see if that helps as well.

Any tips, suggestions, or additional work that is reccomended???

alanwoodieman 09-22-2011 10:45 AM

Re: Any tips for transmission,torque tube, and rear end install

make up a set of guide bolts to help with the trans install, a little lube on the throw out bearing where it travels on the front of the trans, make sure your throw out bearing shaft is a good fit in the bushings, pack the universal joint with a good grade of grease that flows under a little heat ( white lithium or synthetic doping/grease combo) You should not have to adjust the fingers on the pressure plate, remember to tighten the bolts a little at a time and across from each other on the pressure plate. Have fun, rmember it is a hobby, take your time. Got a buddy to help? sure makes it easier.

19Fordy 09-22-2011 11:28 AM

Don't forget to install the throwout bearing like I did (one time) many years ago. Also, take photos for the history of the car.

Big_Guys_baby 09-22-2011 11:36 AM

Thanks guys!

Ken/Alabama 09-22-2011 12:29 PM

Dont adjust on those fingers on the pressure plate. You will need a line up shaft when you install the clutch in case you arent familiar with that ,it goes throught the clutch and alignes and centers the clutch disc with the pilot bearing in the flywheel. Check that pilot bearing also ,make sure it turns smooth if its of the roller bearing type. On the speedometer cable, Pull the inner cable out of the housing and grease it before you install it . Be very carefull with those spring shackle bushings, that leaf spring can kill you.

Big_Guys_baby 09-22-2011 03:21 PM

Kind of a dumb question, but how do most people rotate the engine/flywheel to tighten the pressure plate bolts through the access hole at the top of the bell housing? I had pretty cheesy method when I pulled the old pressure plate off.

alanwoodieman 09-22-2011 03:53 PM

don't know about anyone else but I tighten mine with the trans laying on the floor in the garage, use an old input shaft or a plastic plug shaft available at most parts store to line up the clutch/pressure plate

Henry/Kokomo 09-22-2011 04:03 PM

I agree with alanwoodieman. You gotta' have the disc mounted an centered behind the pressure plate and the pressure plate bolts tight before you install the transmission.

Big_Guys_baby 09-22-2011 04:16 PM

I have the alignment tool and I have done clutches on other vehicles before, just not a flathead... Was curious how people turned the engine over so that the pressure plate bolts lined up the cutout at 12:00 o'clock on the engine bell housing to get the socket in.

Thanks guys really appreciate it!

40cpe 09-22-2011 06:28 PM

I'm far from the expert on this, but in a previous post someone was having trouble getting their new clutch to adjust so it would release. It was suggested to always replace the shaft bushings in the clutch release shaft because they get worn and don't allow full clutch release. You could at least check them while the transmission is out

Dick 09-22-2011 06:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My 2 cents here's some pics of what they've been saying.
Clutch alignment tool in place and by it's self. Note the trans alignment pins - holds trans true while it's slid in place.
Good luck

Big_Guys_baby 09-23-2011 12:29 PM

gotcha! thanks!

Big_Guys_baby 09-23-2011 03:00 PM

Went ahead and rented a porta power for the weekend for the leaf spring. Rental fee cheap compared to injury/death.

alanwoodieman 09-23-2011 07:52 PM

Now I see what you are really talking about, I use a swivel socket to get to the bolts, 3/8 drive and don't really rotate the flywheel

TomO 09-24-2011 11:47 AM

I always block the pressure plate fingers, with wood wedges, to relieve pressure on the clutch disc and bolts while tightening down the clutch. This prevents warping of the pressure plate. I use a socket on the crank ratchet to turn over the engine to access the bolts.

Big_Guys_baby 09-27-2011 08:53 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice. Made great progress this weekend. Clutch and associated parts installed, transmission, new motor mount, driveshaft and rear end all reinstalled. Engine fired up and was able to adjust the clutch pedal, though I kinda guessed on the free play adjustment but it shifts in and out of gear with the engine running.

The only issue is that the grease fitting for the universal joint sits extemely tight against the rear transmission mount... I wasn't able to get my grease gun in with the setup I had... Anyone else have this issue?

1931 flamingo 09-27-2011 10:25 AM

Change the fitting?? How was it before the work done?
Paul in CT

B-O-B 09-27-2011 06:43 PM

You can get a U-joint fitting for the end of your grease gun that looks like a needle & it just fits in the end of the zerk fitting. Mosty used for U-joints where a coupler is too large.

Big_Guys_baby 10-06-2011 11:29 AM

thanks B-O-B, I had forgotten about those... The rear motor mount had totally disentegrated prior to putting the mount in so there was room to grease it before. Now with the new mount and everything torqued down it is just a little too tight for my grease gun coupling.

Jack E/NJ 10-06-2011 12:27 PM

And, if you have a couple extra laying around like I do, the main gear 7017 can be used as the clutch alignment tool.

Jack E/NJ