The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   My 1939 Foed Deluxe Vert w/Rumble Seat (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301538)

Ramblin Reck 07-26-2021 09:40 AM

Re: My 1939 Foed Deluxe Vert w/Rumble Seat
 

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mercman from oz (Post 2039302)
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1627184540
1939 Ford Deluxe Convertible arrives home in Georgia.


Note the emblem on the left and right sides of the hood. It reads FORD on BOTH sides. Why would anyone have changed it from Deluxe I wonder

deuce_roadster 07-26-2021 09:49 AM

Re: My 1939 Foed Deluxe Vert w/Rumble Seat
 

What you have there is one of the most desirable early Fords, a 39 convertible. Looks to be a very nice one at that. Welcome to this forum!

Ramblin Reck 07-26-2021 10:46 AM

Re: My 1939 Foed Deluxe Vert w/Rumble Seat
 

Somethings we discovered while taking all of the drums off of the 39 Ford.


1) The brake shoes on the left side of the vehicle were in bad shape and in need of replacement. The right side looked like they were replaced yesterday! Drums on riright do not need turning there is so little wear! Going to replace the brake linings on the left two wheels and close up the right wheels as is. Replaced left wheel cylinders and all but one brake line(The one going to the right rear wheel was new! The others had kinks and clogs. Replaced Master Cylinder also. Not put back together yet but should not be long before we are rolling and stopping!.


2) I am satisfied calling this a 1939 Ford with mods after seeing all the comments. Thanks for those Most Helpful! The rear wheel shocks are not there. There is a place to put one(tube type) on the left side but NOT on the right side. Something must have happened midway thru this modification that caused the mod to cease. Also caused the brake job to be only half done. Only the Shadow knows!



3) Thanks again for ya'lls comments.

Kube 07-26-2021 03:55 PM

Re: My 1939 Foed Deluxe Vert w/Rumble Seat
 

Yep, looks like a decent old Ford.

Start looking for a convertible love box door now. They are kinda tough to find.

Ramblin Reck 07-26-2021 03:59 PM

Re: My 1939 Foed Deluxe Vert w/Rumble Seat
 

I need help advice on removing the wheel bearing from my left front wheel and my left rear wheel in order to have them turned. Any advice as where to look, you tube etc? Thanks

alanwoodieman 07-26-2021 04:55 PM

Re: My 1939 Foed Deluxe Vert w/Rumble Seat
 

on front wheel you need to remove seal and the bearing will come out--use a wooden dowel and use it to knock seal/bearing out by putting in from front and use a small hammer to drive out the bearing/seal on the back. rear wheel is a little harder, there is a lock ring that must be removed then the seal and then the bearing will slide out

Ramblin Reck 07-27-2021 06:32 AM

Re: My 1939 Foed Deluxe Vert w/Rumble Seat
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanwoodieman (Post 2039876)
on front wheel you need to remove seal and the bearing will come out--use a wooden dowel and use it to knock seal/bearing out by putting in from front and use a small hammer to drive out the bearing/seal on the back. rear wheel is a little harder, there is a lock ring that must be removed then the seal and then the bearing will slide out

Thanks! I have done this with trailer tires in the past so shouldn't be a problem. I reckon if the races are pitted, they would need to be replaced but I haven't gotten that far yet and do not expect it as they are not dunked in the salt water like a trailer. Found out that the seals will probably be destroyed in removing them. There is a tool sold just for the purpose of taking them out. About $9.00 at O'Reilly and you use your own 3/8" drive handle. Makes the job much easier.



Back to the lock ring which appears to be in the form of a "C". How is that removed from the rear wheel???? GOT THIS RING OUT WITH FLAT BLADE SCREWDRIVERS AND NEEDLE NOSE PLIERS! This ring is commonly called a "C" Snap ring but it appears to have the ears broken off which makes it easy to remove with a special set of pliers. I have forgotten that step! I REMEMBERED! Thanks again

Ramblin Reck 07-27-2021 06:35 AM

Re: My 1939 Foed Deluxe Vert w/Rumble Seat
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 2039847)
Yep, looks like a decent old Ford.

Start looking for a convertible love box door now. They are kinda tough to find.


Pray tell what is a convertible love box door? Only if this car could talk! I would probably blush!

Bored&Stroked 07-27-2021 07:30 AM

Re: My 1939 Foed Deluxe Vert w/Rumble Seat
 

Welcome to the Barn . . . nice looking vert! You'll have a lot of fun with it and it seems you are already getting things nicely sorted out. If I was going to replace brake shoes - I would do both sides with the same material at the same time. Also, make sure you have a reputable brake shop "arc" the shoes to fit the drums correctly - this is particularly important on these Lockheed brakes (the shoes don't "float" like modern Bendix style brakes).

Make sure you learn the correct way to adjust the brakes as well - as it is also different from modern Bendix brakes (due to the eccentric adjusters on the bottoms of the shoes). If the brakes are correctly setup, they work quite well.

If you need any expert help or work, contact Richard Lacy of the Early V8 garage (in SoCal). There is a huge amount of knowledge on the Barn, so I'd always run your plans and questions through here first - plenty of guys willing to help.

Good luck!

Ramblin Reck 07-27-2021 08:24 AM

Re: My 1939 Foed Deluxe Vert w/Rumble Seat
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked (Post 2040026)
Welcome to the Barn . . . nice looking vert! You'll have a lot of fun with it and it seems you are already getting things nicely sorted out. If I was going to replace brake shoes - I would do both sides with the same material at the same time. Also, make sure you have a reputable brake shop "arc" the shoes to fit the drums correctly - this is particularly important on these Lockheed brakes (the shoes don't "float" like modern Bendix style brakes).

Make sure you learn the correct way to adjust the brakes as well - as it is also different from modern Bendix brakes (due to the eccentric adjusters on the bottoms of the shoes). If the brakes are correctly setup, they work quite well.

If you need any expert help or work, contact Richard Lacy of the Early V8 garage (in SoCal). There is a huge amount of knowledge on the Barn, so I'd always run your plans and questions through here first - plenty of guys willing to help.

Good luck!


Wow! Arc the drums? And here I thought I would just slap them on! Thanks for mentioning that!

Kube 07-27-2021 02:30 PM

Re: My 1939 Foed Deluxe Vert w/Rumble Seat
 

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramblin Reck (Post 2040014)
Pray tell what is a convertible love box door? Only if this car could talk! I would probably blush!

I suppose it's possible you have the correct glove box lid. The picture makes it appear as if it's from a closed car dash.
Picture attached is a proper 39 convertible dash.

Ramblin Reck 07-27-2021 03:02 PM

Re: My 1939 Foed Deluxe Vert w/Rumble Seat
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 2040147)
I suppose it's possible you have the correct glove box lid. The picture makes it appear as if it's from a closed car dash.
Picture attached is a proper 39 convertible dash.


You explained it but not how I can understand it! Just what is a "Closed Car Dash"?

Kube 07-27-2021 03:17 PM

Re: My 1939 Foed Deluxe Vert w/Rumble Seat
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramblin Reck (Post 2040162)
You explained it but not how I can understand it! Just what is a "Closed Car Dash"?

Closed car is just that, a model with a fixed roof. An open car is one where the roof can be lowered. The dash boards are very different between the two types of cars (open vs. closed) as are the glove box lids.

mercman from oz 07-27-2021 05:16 PM

Re: My 1939 Foed Deluxe Vert w/Rumble Seat
 

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1627424129
Correct 1939 Ford Deluxe Script on Hood.

Kube 07-28-2021 08:29 AM

Re: My 1939 Foed Deluxe Vert w/Rumble Seat
 

1 Attachment(s)
And another, this one with correct road lamps...

V8COOPMAN 07-28-2021 10:12 AM

Re: My 1939 Foed Deluxe Vert w/Rumble Seat
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 2040147)
I suppose it's possible you have the correct glove box lid. The picture makes it appear as if it's from a closed car dash.
Picture attached is a proper 39 convertible dash.


Hmmm......The ONLY difference that I see is about an hour and six minutes. Can ya PLEASE x-plain the REAL difference to this dumb ol' Texas kid? I notice the stainless spear across the top of his instrument panel is missing. DD

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...0&d=1627310441


https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1627414219

Gary in La. 07-28-2021 11:37 AM

Re: My 1939 Foed Deluxe Vert w/Rumble Seat
 

The most obvious is at the lower right hand corner of the door. Size difference between doors is obvious.

Kube 07-28-2021 01:50 PM

Re: My 1939 Foed Deluxe Vert w/Rumble Seat
 

[QUOTE=V8COOPMAN;2040371]Hmmm......The ONLY difference that I see is about an hour and six minutes. Can ya PLEASE x-plain the REAL difference to this dumb ol' Texas kid? I notice the stainless spear across the top of his instrument panel is missing. DD

Well, the open car dash is not as deep as the closed version. The open car dash does not have a crank in the center for the windshield as unlike to closed cars, the open car windshield is fixed.
The glove box door has a much more pronounced "slope" to it, in other words, less of a true rectangle.
I can no longer recall clearly but as my memory serves, the open car dash is a bit wider than the closed version.

The dash in the original poster's initial post appears to be a combination of years and body styles. However, pictures can be deceptive, especially to this boy's ol' eyes.


]

mercman from oz 07-28-2021 05:13 PM

Re: My 1939 Foed Deluxe Vert w/Rumble Seat
 

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...p;d=1627510338
Right Hand Drive Dash in Australian 1939 Ford Standard Coupe Utility.

tubman 07-28-2021 06:41 PM

Re: My 1939 Foed Deluxe Vert w/Rumble Seat
 

I really like the '39 DeLuxe's best of that particular era Ford, but I have to say it looks like one would have to be an acrobat to get into that rumble seat!:eek:

Maybe that's why they dropped it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.