The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Torque Tube (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254720)

doug.nichols 11-13-2018 02:30 PM

Torque Tube

Does anybody know a good source for a 28/29 roadster torque tube?

Charlie Stephens 11-13-2018 02:49 PM

Re: Torque Tube

There was a slight change in the torque tube after mid '28 if you are building a show car, otherwise any Model A torque tube will work on any passenger car. With the cost of shipping you are better off buying locally. Contact the local Model A Clubs and see if you can put a wanted ad in their newsletter. PM me if you are coming to Los Angeles in the near future as I probably have one. Also check with anyone that rebuilds Model A rear ends as this is an item that seldom wears out and they should have extras. By the way, what happened to yours?

Charlie Stephens

CarlG 11-13-2018 03:25 PM

Bert’s

Charlie Stephens 11-13-2018 04:12 PM

Doug,

Where are you traveling this year?

Charlie Stephens

doug.nichols 11-13-2018 06:09 PM

I now have a borg warner od and would like to go back to stock. Not traveling to California in the near future.

john in illinois 11-14-2018 02:31 PM

I am not familiar with BW setup, but I think you will also need a new driveshaft.

John

jak 11-14-2018 04:19 PM

Call Sam Guthrie at 480-782-0266

Charlie Stephens 11-14-2018 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.nichols (Post 1695893)
I now have a borg warner od and would like to go back to stock. Not traveling to California in the near future.

If you are selling or trading yours can you ask for a torque tube in exchange?

Charlie Stephens

1930artdeco 11-14-2018 10:15 PM

If I would have know I would have brought my spare and you've have it.

Mike

Simonpie 11-16-2018 12:00 AM

I have one in Portland. It was used as a trailer axle, so the tube sat empty and unlubed. It has rust, but since the bearings get replaced, it shouldn't matter too much. If you dig into it and it is junk, you haven't lost too much. Price: A 6 pack of IPA.
I have no drive shaft.
Simon
503 317-6516

Tom Endy 11-16-2018 12:41 AM

In order to make the change you are going to need a torque tube and a drive shaft. The torque tubes are all interchangeable. Any year will work. All the drive shafts are the same except for the very early ones that used the 370 ring & pinion. You also need to have an understanding about how to make the change, as it is not a straight forward task. You are also going to need some special tools: tall jack stands, a spring spreader, a special tool to pull the pinion assembly out of the banjo, and a tool to remove the pinion from the overdrive stub shaft.

Torque tubes and drive shafts are abundantly plentiful because so many have been removed from Model A's over the years to accommodate the installation of various overdrives. Because of that they have little value and hardly anyone brings them to swap meets. I have at least a halve a dozen hanging around and would be glad to give you a set if you stopped by the house.

My advice is to contact the local Model A club in your area and ask it they would canvas their members to see if anyone has them. Most people who install an overdrive end up storing the torque tube and drive shaft somewhere on their property with no further use for them.

Tom Endy

Charlie Stephens 11-16-2018 01:54 AM

I wonder if a better solution might be to sell your complete rear end with the overdrive unit intact and build up one in the ratio you want. My guess would be that your existing rear end would be 4.11 and if it was me I would want 3.54/

Charlie Stephens