The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1936 cabriolet interior (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294316)

wamnram 02-10-2021 10:00 AM

1936 cabriolet interior

Would anyone have pictures of an early 1936 Cabriolet original interior that is NOT leather or Mohair? I am restoring an early cabriolet with the grey dash and want to see what it looks like with the original cloth interiors.

Any help appreciated.

Kube 02-10-2021 10:27 AM

Re: 1936 cabriolet interior

Quote:

Originally Posted by wamnram (Post 1983856)
Would anyone have pictures of an early 1936 Cabriolet original interior that is NOT leather or Mohair? I am restoring an early cabriolet with the grey dash and want to see what it looks like with the original cloth interiors.

Any help appreciated.

Um, perhaps Don Rogers will weigh in here (let's hope) but methinks "original" and "mohair" don't jive. I am 99.9% certain ALL cabriolets were trimmed in leather / leatherette.
So, if I am correct, and you are restoring the car, settle in on
leather /leatherette.

Where are ya Don?

wamnram 02-10-2021 11:09 AM

Hi Kube,

Thanks for the reply. I have the 35/36 restoration book, unfortunately its 5 states away at the moment, but If I remember correctly it lists a Bedford Cord, Striped broadcloth and some type of Wool Cord as original interiors? Don would know for sure. I had a 36 roadster with leather and a 36 5-window with mohair, kinda want something different but original as I am doing a restoration.

Kube 02-10-2021 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wamnram (Post 1983881)
Hi Kube,

Thanks for the reply. I have the 35/36 restoration book, unfortunately its 5 states away at the moment, but If I remember correctly it lists a Bedford Cord, Striped broadcloth and some type of Wool Cord as original interiors? Don would know for sure. I had a 36 roadster with leather and a 36 5-window with mohair, kinda want something different but original as I am doing a restoration.

Hey Wayne,
Now that you mention it, you woke up a few of my very last memory bank cells. Hmmm... Bedford cord is ringing a bell.
I'm eager now to hear from Don.
I find stuff like this interesting.
Like you, I like "different".
C'mon Don... weigh in here...

Don Rogers 02-10-2021 12:26 PM

There were two options on cabriolet interiors, Leather and Bedford Cord. I'll see if I can dig up some photos (maybe)

wamnram 02-10-2021 02:06 PM

Thanks Don!

Kube 02-10-2021 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Rogers (Post 1983903)
There were two options on cabriolet interiors, Leather and Bedford Cord. I'll see if I can dig up some photos (maybe)

Thanks much Don. I continue to learn from you.

I have to wonder how many were actually built with cloth interiors.

Don Rogers 02-10-2021 06:59 PM

I can't seem to find any photos of bedford cord cabriolet interiors. What specifically are you wanting to know. I have some photos of a convertible sedan done in bedford, so I may be able to help if I know more about your needs.

Don

Blastfromthepast 02-10-2021 07:30 PM

The early V8 35-36 book has lots of diagrams of patterns and material used
For Cabriolets and Club Cabriolets. It’s a good starting point.
Macs Auto parts has a good line of interior upholstery (Cartouche).
I think you can even ask for a sample card of the material.

wamnram 02-11-2021 08:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I just wanted to see what a cloth interior looks like. I have only seen ones done in leather. I don't want to buy the cloth interior and have it look bad. These are two pics I found. You can kind of see the door panel in one and the top of seat in the other. Original maybe?

wamnram 02-11-2021 08:59 AM

Don,

Pics of a convertible sedan would work. Just a pic of the front seat and door panels would be great.

Thanks again for the help.

Kube 02-11-2021 09:24 AM

Good morning Wayne, As much as I like "different", I just can't embrace a cloth interior in an open car. That's me.
And yes, I know it's your car and I fully respect that.
I guess it (cloth interior) would just look like a "mistake" to me. Like someone couldn't order a leather interior or didn't know better.

Is this restoration going to be a trailer queen or do you plan on driving it? Just curious.

wamnram 02-11-2021 09:41 AM

Kube,

My sentiments exactly, I don't want the interior to look like a mistake. The leather interiors look good with the brown dash and door handles but the early models have the grey dash and handles so thought it might look good with cloth. I want to restore to as close to original as possible and then drive it like I stole it. Not into trailer queens.

Kube 02-11-2021 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wamnram (Post 1984239)
Kube,

My sentiments exactly, I don't want the interior to look like a mistake. The leather interiors look good with the brown dash and door handles but the early models have the grey dash and handles so thought it might look good with cloth. I want to restore to as close to original as possible and then drive it like I stole it. Not into trailer queens.

Hmmm... I understand your point about the gray dash and brown leather.
As long as this isn't going to be a trailer queen, how about wood grain the dash and do the leather? Just a thought.
What color for the body are you planning?

wamnram 02-11-2021 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1984245)
Hmmm... I understand your point about the gray dash and brown leather.
As long as this isn't going to be a trailer queen, how about wood grain the dash and do the leather? Just a thought.
What color for the body are you planning?

Color will be black, and I do like the leather with wood grain dash, so that may be the route I will take if I decide against cloth interior.

Don Rogers 02-11-2021 10:15 AM

Early 36 means Benton Grey dash and trim steering wheel/ column as well as grey gauges. Changing to woodgrain is a slippery slope for an early 36. Remember that conv sedans and cabriolet were almost like closed cars when the top was up and the windows rolled up negating the need for leather.

I'll send some photos of my conv sedan finished in Bedford cord for your review.

wamnram 02-11-2021 10:24 AM

Thanks Don,

I really would like to keep it as an early 36.

Don Rogers 02-11-2021 12:41 PM

Wamnram, Send me your email to [email protected] and I will send you some hi-resolution images that should help

wamnram 02-11-2021 12:45 PM

email sent!

Kube 02-11-2021 01:08 PM

Hey Wayne, Thanks goodness for Don - huh?

Are you firm on the black exterior? The reason I'm asking is I'd recently restored a '40 coupe (trailer queen) that is Folkstone Gray with the mohair (tan) interior. I have never before seen two '40 colors that compliment each other better than these.