The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Gauges (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67364)

1931 flamingo 04-03-2012 10:10 PM

Gauges

Getting ready to spend some Christmas present money. For late 31 which is more appropiate for add on gauges : APCO, Rex-A-Co??? :):D:):D

Thanks in advance.

Paul in CT

ctlikon0712 04-03-2012 10:16 PM

Re: Gauges

Iv'e got the Rex-A-Co Oil press gauge and am happy with its looks and performance.

TinCup 04-03-2012 10:27 PM

We have not had much success with the Rex A Co water temp gauges. We used a precision candy thermometer and brought hot oil to temp 260 degrees. We then tested 4 different Rex gauges and got 4 different readings. Also had 2 in the club where the needle fell off the gauge. These were all bought from different resources. We tested 3 older Stewart Warner temp gauges and they were all within acceptable tolerances. Haven't tried the APCO yet. With temps in Oklahoma these days and as much as we drive our cars temp gauges are a nice piece of mind.

Craig Lewis 04-03-2012 11:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I like the vintage units which turn up at swap meets & ebay occassionally.
These are Rochester gauges.
I also have a Rochester room temp gauge which affixes to your headliner with 2 pins. It has a matching nickel bezel.

1931 flamingo 04-04-2012 07:29 AM

Craig: I've been watching and looking and haven't found a/thing or if I did didn't want it.
Now it's time to do something.
Paul in CT

Bob-A 04-04-2012 08:43 AM

I've found that original Moto-Meter's if found in good shape. Give a better
(more correct) water temperature reading then the repop ones. Unfortunately the cost of them when found have been going way up of late! Plus, people are trying to sale repop's as originals I have discovered too.

Bob-A:D

1931 flamingo 04-04-2012 10:28 AM

I've got a beautiful quail w/patina so moto-meter not an option. Thanks
Paul in CT

Oakridgeacres 04-04-2012 10:42 AM

I installed a (REX-A-CO) gauge a couple weeks ago. Installed per instructions from an earlier post. Gauge seems to work just fine. About 7# pressure when you first start up on a slight rev, but as oil gets warmer it goes down to just above readable when cruising at about 45mph. Is this about what other's have encountered with oil pressure gauges? Thought this was an appropriate question to go along with original post.

HoarseWhisperer 04-04-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oakridgeacres (Post 400246)
I installed a (REX-A-CO) gauge a couple weeks ago. Installed per instructions from an earlier post. Gauge seems to work just fine. About 7# pressure when you first start up on a slight rev, but as oil gets warmer it goes down to just above readable when cruising at about 45mph. Is this about what other's have encountered with oil pressure gauges? Thought this was an appropriate question to go along with original post.

That's about normal with the oil gauge, depending on what weight oil used. They can be calibrated if necessary.

Flamingo,

Moto-meters were made for under dash and steering column too; not just as a rad cap.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/pictur...ictureid=14423

1931 flamingo 04-04-2012 01:26 PM

Hoaesewhisperer: I did not know that!!

Paul from Maine 04-05-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oakridgeacres (Post 400246)

That's how mine performs in the summer with SAE 30 non-detergent oil. Since I switched to Mobil 1, I get a pound or so more pressure when the engine is warm. May be someone who knows about these things can explain the difference.