The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Joining a local club (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96694)

Mike V. Florida 02-04-2013 06:39 PM

Joining a local club

There is a guy that we met at a local car show. He was asked if he would like to join our club to which he answered " Never found a good reason to join one, I drive when I want where I want." Ok no problem.

It was noticed that he had a broken shackle on his rear springs and they were resting on the rear axle housing. It was brought to his attention and he said he did not know how to replace it. He was told no problem we have the parts and the tools necessary and went over to his home and fixed it up for him. When he offered to pay for the work we told him no just pay for the shackle and he was invited to a display we were putting on for the church. He was given tickets for the carnival food as he brought his woody and when other members asked if he wanted to join our club, he said " Never found a good reason to join one".

Aok 02-04-2013 07:11 PM

Re: Joining a local club

Well on the positive he did offer to pay for the work. I have lived long enough to know everybody is different maybe he is not comfortable with people like a hermit. But at least you guys tired to get him to join and did fix his car which was a nice thing to do.

Georgew48 02-04-2013 07:16 PM

Who was the comedian that said "I would never join a club that would have me as a member". He might have been doing your club a favor. LOL

ford3 02-04-2013 07:46 PM

my guess for who said that would be RODNEY DANGERFIELD

luckyal 02-04-2013 08:02 PM

iT SOUNDS TO ME THAT YOU DON'T NEED HIM IN YOUR CLUB. HE OBVIOUSLY DOES NOT HAVE A TREMENDOUS GRASP FOR THE OBVIOUS !iT ALSO SOUNDS LIKE HE MAY BE A TAKER AND NOT A GIVER !

Raven 02-04-2013 08:06 PM

It was Groucho Marx...

jim1932 02-04-2013 08:13 PM

Instead of asking him to join (which sounds like an obligation in time in money), just invite him to a meeting. Recruiting is more a matter of treating him like a member to show him what its like. Have a couple guys (low pressure) check in with him now and again.

ford3 02-04-2013 08:29 PM

GROUCHO? darn i was sure i had that one right

jim1932 02-04-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ford3 (Post 585400)
GROUCHO? darn i was sure i had that one right

Don't feel bad I thought it was W.C. Fields

Mitch//pa 02-04-2013 09:45 PM

i can dig it where this guy comes from. i have some local friends here with A's we pal around in our cars and have fun without having an official club. there are some local clubs here but not everyone is interested in that. he did offer to pay so he was not looking for something for nothing. he just wants to hang out now and then no strings attached....
will he be shunned if he doesn't purchase and wear the official club granpoobah moose hat

ScottNW/Ohio 02-04-2013 10:34 PM

Some guys are just not 'member' people
It means committments, dues, (and participation) I don't belong to a club either, but won't say "never"
Lot of us "lone wolf" club member out there

matt92vr4 02-05-2013 12:02 AM

Of course he doesnt need to join, you fix his car for him without membership! Lol, people are people.

Mike Peters 02-05-2013 09:10 AM

As Jim1932 says, go easy on this guy. Invite him to a fun event you may have coming up. (Meetings are a bore to a lot of people. )Tell him there is no obligation. You can't pressure people, and don't come on like holy rollers. Keep it fun, and maybe you will see more of him and others as well.

Tom Wesenberg 02-05-2013 09:31 AM

Mike Peters, by the looks of your avitar you're out getting plowed again!:D:p

Farmall is the way to go.:)

Terry, NJ 02-05-2013 09:32 AM

I guess I'm like that, There are times when no sane person would want to be around me and I know it. Rather than piss off a lot of good people, I just keep my distance. I don't dislike anyone, but I know what my ADHD makes me capable of and that's a side I'd rather not show anyone. His phrase, "I never found a reason to join a club" sounds like a cover for something else.
Terry

John LaVoy 02-05-2013 10:22 AM

My take on belonging to a club, you get out of it what you put into it. If you don't want to participate then belonging is not for you. I actually have a lot of subscribers that like the fact it is just a magazine, not a club.

Steve Plucker 02-05-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 585680)
Mike Peters, by the looks of your avitar you're out getting plowed again!:D:p

Farmall is the way to go.:)

But Tom...some of us have green in our blood!:D;)

Pluck

CarlG 02-05-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Plucker (Post 585721)
But Tom...some of us have green in our blood!:D;)

Pluck

One of our guys painted his 30 Tudor JD green with yellow wheels.:D

Mikeinnj 02-05-2013 02:55 PM

Clubs are not for everyone. Some A owners just enjoy driving and working on their cars.

I would bet there are as many A's in the USA who's owners do not belong to "clubs" as there are who's owners are "club people".

It also depends on the type of club available geographically and if they are "business (Robert's Rules nuts) oriented, social oriented( (shows,picnic's, partys etc.) or the "era-fashion freaks" or just a bunch of guy's who actually enjoy driving and working on their cars.

I have belonged to several "A" clubs where most of the members bought their "A's" already restored and did not have a clue, nor did they want to know, how to work on them. They just polish them up and drive them.. There is usually one or two fellows in the club, the "go to" guy's, that repair and fix everyone else's cars when needed. Speaking of clubs, I will never understand why there are two National clubs (MARC-MAFCA) with two publications, creating duplication of services and articles etc. Perhaps someday they will merge into one colossal club.....Think of how boring life would be if we were all the same type of personalities .....

Mike Peters 02-05-2013 03:12 PM

My avatar? 1953 Super W6 International. Dumb old farmer is me. Same exact engine as the Super M Farmall. I just like the styling of the standard tractors, even though they are clumsy and steer hard. Photo was taken at one of the plow days held at our farm a few years ago. There were about 20 neighbors plowing with old tractors and 50-100 spectators and a good time was had by all. About 50% of the tractors were green and yellow, the rest everything else. I like red as well. :o:D