The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Reconditioned Model A engine block (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291798)

mill48 12-18-2020 11:16 PM

Reconditioned Model A engine block

Hi everyone. I hope someone on here can help me with a unique need for my 1928 Model A Tudor. The water jackets on my Model A have been breached and I am in need of a replacement block in good condition at a reasonable price. Can anyone in this forum refer me to someone who can maybe help me with this?

J Franklin 12-19-2020 12:48 AM

Re: Reconditioned Model A engine block

Where is the damage? Can it be repaired? A Model A club in your area may be able to steer you in the right direction.

mill48 12-19-2020 07:31 AM

I doubt that it can be repaired. Some time ago a bolt broke on the intake manifold. In the process of removing the bolt, I accidentally drilled into the water jacket and was not able to stop the leak. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the only remedy is to replace the block. I could be wrong, which is why I am appealing to this forum.

nkaminar 12-19-2020 08:16 AM

Try your local club to find an engine block.

nkaminar 12-19-2020 08:22 AM

Mill48, My water jacket is also breached in the same location. A previous owner drilled out the stud and went into the water jacket. I discovered it when changing manifolds. I put a gasket sealant on the stud when I re installed it and have no problems with a leak to date. I used a silicone sealant so that I could remove the stud at some time in the future if needed.

AzBob 12-19-2020 12:08 PM

The manifold studs on my ’26 Buick were a “through hole” direct into the water jacket. The threads were sealed with a liberal coating of aviation Permatex.

J Franklin 12-19-2020 02:08 PM

Even if you did not use a sealant the leak wouldn't hurt anything. Just use a bit of any type that might do the job. I would choose LockTite Blue, or old style shellac gasket sealer. Save your money for when you really bust something!

redmodelt 12-19-2020 03:30 PM

My 1948 F2 flat head, almost all the head bolts are open to the water jacket. Just use sealer as suggested.

Synchro909 12-19-2020 04:15 PM

If that's the only problem with the block, I wouldn't even consider replacing it. A little dab of sealant on the stud and you're back in business. I have a block that has chunks of CI broken out where someone screwed a couple of head studs too far in. Discarding the block did not even occur to me. Decent blocks are becoming harder to find. Why make things worse for no reason?

Lawrie 12-19-2020 06:02 PM

Arnold, I have a pie of them, they may soon go to the scrap dealer if no one wants them.
Don,t worry about the studs going into the water jacket, the V8,s have all but one going into the water.

Lawrie

wwirz 12-19-2020 07:15 PM

Don't worry about this kind of water jacket leak. Put some high temperature sealant on the thread and reinsert the stud like synchro did. We had an 84 Pontiac Grand Prix and on the water pump bolts one was drilled into the water jacket by design.
This is not an issue to concern yourself with.

mill48 12-19-2020 09:33 PM

How did you deal with the broken chunks of cast iron? The bolt hole is now oversized and I cannot get the proper torque on the bolt.

mill48 12-19-2020 09:35 PM

Before you scrap them, can you post pictures and info on their condition?

J Franklin 12-19-2020 10:19 PM

You had just said it was drilled too far. If there is other damage you might want to take your block to a machine shop and maybe it can have a reasonable repair.

CWPASADENA 12-19-2020 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mill48 (Post 1964675)
How did you deal with the broken chunks of cast iron? The bolt hole is now oversized and I cannot get the proper torque on the bolt.

It may be possible to install a helicoil. I have used lots of them with very good success where the head stud holes was bad.

There are other thread inserts available for a very bad hole that has been really screwed up. Your local automotive machine shop should be able to help you with this.

My opinion,

Chris W.

1crosscut 12-19-2020 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mill48 (Post 1964675)

Have you considered installing or having a machinist install a Heli Coil?

Jack Shaft 12-19-2020 10:54 PM

Timeserts are better than helicoils..a sleeve instead of a coil. But yes you can junk the block, they made millions of them. Hell I just tossed one with a water jacket crack, bored .125 over and needed main bearings.. felt a little soul twinge when it slipped off the forklift tip into the scrap bin but it passed..

Jeff/Illinois 12-19-2020 11:03 PM

mill48... this is another option just now coming available. One of Terry Burtz' brand new engine blocks.

http://www.modelaengine.com/

J Franklin 12-19-2020 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois (Post 1964696)
mill48... this is another option just now coming available. One of Terry Burtz' brand new engine blocks.

http://www.modelaengine.com/

Yes, get one of those and give us some reports. That would work all the way around. I saw a model a engine mailbox once It was great.;)

Licensed to kill 12-19-2020 11:38 PM

A couple thoughts. One, 348 and 409 Chevy blocks came from the factory with a couple bolts that go into a water jacket. Sealant is required, no big deal.Two, I personally wouldn't screw around with heli-coils especially when it is for a stud, not a bolt. I had a head bolt break off on my Model A engine and just drilled the hole out and tapped it to 1/2" and put a stepped stud in it. By stepped, I mean that the bottom is 1/2" then, right at the top of the threads (flush with the deck of the block) it goes to the stock 7/16". Easy, cheap and stronger than the stock stud. These studs are available from the vendors but I just made mine. If the application was for a bolt rather than a stud, I would go with the sleeves that Jack Shaft mentioned.