The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Greatest moment in a Model A (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55619)

Logan 12-08-2011 02:15 PM

Greatest moment in a Model A

Not to steal Bill Williamson's thunder, with his thread on greatest disappointment in a model a. But i was wondering what everyone's greatest accomplishment, or moment, that they have experienced in an A. I have two that are pretty much tied,
1) Winning the youngest driver award at the 2008 world meet in Dallas with my brother Jordan.
2) The weekend before my grandpa passed away, the model a club went up to the nursing home to visit my grandpa and grandma. Well i just happened to be home from college that weekend, and i decided to drive my grandpas coupe (now mine) up to the nursing home so that he could see it. Well after all the other club members had left, i saw my grandpa open the door and get in the drivers seat. He started the car, and started driving around in the parking lot. (my dad and i thought he was going to make a break for it, and try to leave the nursing home) After about 4 trips up and down the parking lot, he pulled back up to where my dad and i were standing, and he shut if off and said good job. (I guess that meant at keeping the car running :confused:) That was the last time i saw my grandpa, and that was the last car he ever rode in or drove. Its a special memory for me, as he owned the car since 1959 and had restored it and drove it all over the U.S.

Now lets hear all your stories

RcT 12-08-2011 02:48 PM

Re: Greatest moment in a Model A

There was a point in my life when I had a '30 sport coupe and a new '65 Mustang at the same time. I would stay overnight at my grandmother's house most Friday nights and take her grocery shopping Saturday mornings before going home. She loved riding in the Model A far more than the Mustang; the running board was even with the curb and much easier for her to get in and out of the car. That's a great memory for me and that sport coupe, all $210 of it, was driven daily without any worries. It seemed to always get me there. The car got attention, but it wasn't really a curiosity, as they seem to be now. You could take it, park it, and not wonder if someone was messing with it. I can't say that now.

Purdy Swoft 12-08-2011 03:18 PM

The first was in 1955. I was maybe nine years old. The neighbors kid had a red strip down model a with a homemade wood pickup bed and seat. There were dirt trails and a large pasture that we would ride in sometimes after school. The neighbors kid was only 14 and not allowed to drive on the main roads, one afternoon he left the transmission in low gear and set the throttle so that it was going five mph or less, he stepped out on the running board and told me to slide over and take the wheel. That was quite a thrill for me at the time and the first time for me to sort of drive a model A. The next was the first time that I drove my strip down sept. 29 model A. I got the 29 in the spring of 1960 and it was the fall of 61 before it was running. The next was when I finally got my roadster in 03. The roadster was in rough shape and had not run since 63. I had just about given up that I would ever get a roadster. Here it is the day that I got it. xxxhttp://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z...rld/Jam237.jpgt

Lawrie 12-08-2011 05:22 PM

Pulling into the driveway at home after a 13500klm trip across Australia in the 28 pickup that never missed a beat
Lawrie

700rpm 12-08-2011 06:09 PM

I've owned my A since 1961, and with 50 years of great moments there isn't enough room here to even begin. But one of my funniest (now) and earliest moments was just after I got the car. My girlfriend and I were necking in it behind a local park when a cop car came up and the cops asked us what we were doing. Of course they knew, and were probably just having some fun with us, but at the time and the tender age of 17, we were very flustered, embarrassed, and scared. Flaming youth!

zzlegend 12-08-2011 06:13 PM

Getting nook nooks in the back seat of a tudor sedan in 1965 when was 19 years old. She was a 30 year old waitress at the pancake house.

700rpm 12-08-2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzlegend (Post 321243)
Getting nook nooks in the back seat of a tudor sedan in 1965 when was 19 years old. She was a 30 year old waitress at the pancake house.

At least you were legal! Her car or yours?

Jason in TX 12-08-2011 06:15 PM

There have been lots of very happy moments in the Model A.

The best day would have to be our wedding day. Got to marry my best friend and also a darn good Model A mechanic helper to boot!

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...luxu8/0411.jpg

One at the top of the list was having the opportunity to tour Yosemite National Park with my wife in one. Unforgettable!

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/IMG_7817.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/IMG_7823.jpg

The smartest day was 10 years ago when I drove 32 hours non stop round trip to trade my '48 Plymouth for my first Model A and I've been hooked ever since!

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/DSC00413.jpg

BCCHOPIT 12-08-2011 06:26 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Did he Just say NECKING:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Mine is the day I brought my car home my younger brother came over at the time he was 20 years old. and to see him take off down the road and back was very cool.

I did a 300 mile drip with my 8 year old son this fall that was lots of fun for both

This past week end I got a new top speed in my car of 73mph on GPS not bad for the little bit of mods that I have done to it. 27 mph to go for my 100 mph goal.

MAG 12-08-2011 06:26 PM

Three areas stand out in my mind. One is the honor of Lt. Col "Hank" Potter, Jimmy Dolittle's Navigator, riding in my roadster in a Veterans Day Parade. Another is driving eight of my grand children in the "getaway" for their weddings in the roadster. And the last was giving my 30 Coupe to my son. He helped retore it while he was going to college. I wanted to be able to see him enjoy it. That was and is a great moment for me.

zzlegend 12-08-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 700rpm (Post 321245)
At least you were legal! Her car or yours?

My neighbors car. He was gone for the weekend and didn't lock the sedan. He never knew.

TerryH 12-08-2011 06:36 PM

This one is easy for me.......When I took my future wife out on our first, and "blind date" in 1967, I picked her up in my 1930 Coupe with rumble seat. She was surprised beyond words and loved it..........about 4 months later we were engaged, then married. The Model A date is a special memory, and we are still happily married!

Chris in WNC 12-08-2011 07:03 PM

3 years of going places in it with my sweet Judy..........

BILL WILLIAMSON 12-08-2011 07:11 PM

Logan,
My "THUNDER" Went away when I sold "MINERVA," my black '30 coupe with a NASCAR lookin' exhaust that set off car alarms when I even idled by!:D:D The only thunder here now is when neighbors roll their dumpsters in and out or when the dog or me is f----rting. Don't feel sorry for me, as shortly I will fire off "VERMIN," my back up '29, with it's own unique exhaust sysem to annoy the neighbors. That will be my latest "GREAT MOMENT!":p:D:p:D I'll take Buster T. Brown, my Rat Terrier, with me to deal with the ficticious White Rat that lives in the car!

john in illinois 12-08-2011 07:17 PM

Climbing McDonald's pass out of Helena Montana,July 2011,2,000 miles from home. Sure makes you appreciate what a good 81 year old car it is.

roccaas 12-08-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzlegend (Post 321262)
My neighbors car. He was gone for the weekend and didn't lock the sedan. He never knew.

Sounds like a ZZ Top song to me....

quickchange 12-08-2011 09:38 PM

A number of things, Seeing J B set a world record at Bonniville , Being asked to be team leader for modified at Riverside & receiving senior judges ticket, Helping & playing host to the Americans during our 2011 national meet , many other great times in the A , but one sticks out , Holding the arse out sideways in the delivery on Greymouth horse racing track at the national meet , Tops is all the great A folk we have met over the years in their Model A,s May it continue, Have a great xmas all.

Aerocraft 12-08-2011 09:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When my bride and I left our June, 1964 wedding in the '30 Coupe; when our new-born daughter came home in the Coupe from the hospital in May of '68; when our new-born son came home in the Coupe from the hospital in May of '71; when our daughter left her November '93 wedding in the Coupe and our son several years later left his wedding in the Coupe; when our son's first child came home from the hospital in Sept. '00 in the Coupe; when in '02 our son's second daughter, then in '05 his son, both made the "home from the hospital" trip in the Coupe; and earlier this year, my very sick wife (brain cancer) and I made the trip home in the Coupe from our church after our "renewal of vows" on the 47th anniversary of our wedding. Gar Williams

eswanson 12-09-2011 01:51 AM

So far... When my Grandpa sat next to me (2 years ago, helps to be young) and told me all his dating tricks from the Model A. Kinda freaked me out thinking he used them on Grandma but I got over it.

Eric

Mike 12-09-2011 08:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For me I grew up with my family's 29 pick-up, which I still have. Then getting married using my 31 tudor, bringing both kids home from the hospital when they were born in a Model "A" see my profile for pics

mike

]