The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What gasket Materiel ? OT Compressor (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148306)

Terry,NJ 08-30-2014 02:51 PM

What gasket Materiel ? OT Compressor

I have a old compressor to which I added a vintage Binks regulator. The two halves have a gasket (Approximately 2" dia.) between them. The gasket blew out and I replaced it with one I made from gasket paper. That worked well for about two days and the paper failed. I'm considering cutting up a plastic milk carton, etc. Any suggestions on what I should use? This gasket is on the high pressure side of the regulator.
Terry

1930artdeco 08-30-2014 03:32 PM

Re: What gasket Materiel ? OT Compressor

I think you will need more than a milk carton for a gasket. Maybe thin steel/aluminum with some epoxy to fill in the gaps? What about hobby shim material?

Mike

Bob C 08-30-2014 03:48 PM

Are the two halves flat?

Bob

Tom Wesenberg 08-30-2014 05:12 PM

You can buy rubber gasket material at Menards or Fleet Farm. Look in the plumbing department. Fabric reinforced would even be better, such as in an old fuel pump diaphram, or even an old overshoe.

darrylkmc 08-30-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry,NJ (Post 936986)
I have a old compressor to which I added a vintage Binks regulator. The two halves have a gasket (Approximately 2" dia.) between them. The gasket blew out and I replaced it with one I made from gasket paper. That worked well for about two days and the paper failed. I'm considering cutting up a plastic milk carton, etc. Any suggestions on what I should use? This gasket is on the high pressure side of the regulator.
Terry

Terry,

Have you tried getting the parts from a Binks distributer, there should be a part number on that regulator, usually a boss with something like 85-125, post a photo if you can.
Is it round or fluted where the screws go through.
There is more to that diaphragm than the gasket material, there is a metal cup riveted to the center to retain the adjustment screw spring.

I collect Binks stuff.

Darryl in Fairbanks

Terry,NJ 08-30-2014 10:43 PM

Darryl, This regulator is nickel plated with 6 slotted head screws in a hex pattern. I don't remember where I got it, but it has the appearance of being old .
Terry

darrylkmc 08-31-2014 09:53 PM

Terry,

Can you post a picture of the regulator, or possibly find a photo on the internet that looks like the one you have.

If it is Binks it will have a Boss with a stamped number on it. If it is nickel plated it is likely made of brass.

Freeze again tonight here

Darryl in Fairbanks

BILL WILLIAMSON 09-01-2014 02:26 PM

Terry,
We carved head gaskets for old Flathead Indians from sheet copper, annealed them, & used the goop from the bottom of an OLD can of Alujimum paint, as a brush on sealer, worked GOOD! We were using the engines in 3/4 midjets.
Even, sometimes, we re-used the gaskets, by annealing them again.
Bill W.