The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Drag link rubbing tie rod (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231117)

fredski53 10-12-2017 03:01 PM

Drag link rubbing tie rod

My 31 Victoria has binding in the steering. I've adjusted the sector, now I've noticed the drag link is rubbing on the tie rod! I've read where if there's a 1/4 inch space between the bottom shackle and the top of the axle then the spring is good. I have a good 1/4 inch space there. Should the shackles be replaced? Would that keep the the two from rubbing? Thanks, Fred

Ed in Maine 10-12-2017 03:29 PM

Re: Drag link rubbing tie rod

I'm guessing but you may have an incorrect pittman arm attached to the steering gear box. Compare what you have with another Model A. You may have a 32-34 part. I don't think spring shackle wear would be enough to cause this interference. Ed

SeaSlugs 10-12-2017 03:35 PM

Could be a weak spring, broken leaves, bent frame, bent steering balls as well.

montanafordman 10-12-2017 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaSlugs (Post 1538608)
Could be a weak spring, broken leaves, bent frame, bent steering balls as well.

I had all of those when I first got my model A. The wishbone was bent, the tie rod bent, etc. The funny thing was that when the axle, frame, wishbone everything was corrected i noticed that the replacement rebuilt steering arms I ordered had one bent on the passenger side. The vendor made it right and I got a good one and my car drives nicely and does not wander, have excessive play, or a death wobble.

Bob C 10-12-2017 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed in Maine (Post 1538600)
I'm guessing but you may have an incorrect pittman arm attached to the steering gear box. Compare what you have with another Model A. You may have a 32-34 part. I don't think spring shackle wear would be enough to cause this interference. Ed

The later pitman arms are splined not square.

Bob

SteveB31 10-12-2017 08:03 PM

Front spring is flat

larrys40 10-12-2017 08:24 PM

Agree I would say spring needs replacing
Larry Shepard

SeaSlugs 10-12-2017 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredski53 (Post 1538586)
My 31 Victoria has binding in the steering. I've adjusted the sector, now I've noticed the drag link is rubbing on the tie rod! I've read where if there's a 1/4 inch space between the bottom shackle and the top of the axle then the spring is good. I have a good 1/4 inch space there. Should the shackles be replaced? Would that keep the the two from rubbing? Thanks, Fred

post a side and front picture of your car on level ground and we can probably tell if the car is sitting right.

Larry Jenkins 10-12-2017 09:34 PM

Broken vertical center bolt in the front spring. Had one..