The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sometimes forget to release Parking Brake (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266241)

bdtutton 07-12-2019 09:15 PM

Sometimes forget to release Parking Brake

Most of the time I am parked on flat surfaces and I don't need to apply the Parking Brake even when I leave it running in neutral. Sometimes when I am on a slight grade I pull the brake just to make sure the car does not move. The problem is that I don't set the brake hard and I sometimes start driving down the road with the Parking Brake lightly on. As I drive I feel the car dragging along and I realize the brake is on and release it. I have gotten out and felt the hubs and they are usually quite warm, but not burning hot.

My modern car has a light on the dash that reminds me when the parking brake is on, but this car does not. I hate to say it, but I am thinking I almost need to wire a switch and a light like a modern car. The other option is to set the parking brake HARD to prevent the car from moving unless it has been released.

Is there anyone else out there that has had this problem?

dennis lumbert 07-12-2019 09:36 PM

Re: Sometimes forget to release Parking Brake

I’ve had it happen to me although I discovered it fairly quickly.I now pull it on hard so I can feel it if I forget.Also I turn the gas off whenever I park,(30 Tudor ) ,and the Park brake handle is real close to the gas valve so it’s a good time to check it while turning on the gas

chrs1961815 07-13-2019 05:48 AM

I do the same thing every once in a while but discover it quickly. My Roadster has the early 28 left hand brake which can be overlooked unlike the brake by the shutoff valve as Dennis was saying.

JOHN CT 07-13-2019 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennis lumbert (Post 1776777)
I’ve had it happen to me although I discovered it fairly quickly.I now pull it on hard so I can feel it if I forget.Also I turn the gas off whenever I park,(30 Tudor ) ,and the Park brake handle is real close to the gas valve so it’s a good time to check it while turning on the gas

I’ve done the same thing at times. So now I do the same thing as Dennis Lumbert. Apply the parking brake all the way so you’re car doesn’t move when you take off. Easy fix ;)

Patrick L. 07-13-2019 08:16 AM

Sounds like a 'pre-flight/post-flight' check list is in order.

chap52 07-13-2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 1776867)
Sounds like a 'pre-flight/post-flight' check list is in order.

I have one of those but I can't remember where I put it. So when I find it I will make a note reminding me where it is and tape the note to the inside of my windshield, then complain because some jerk left a post it note on my windshield. Phew! Chap

Patrick L. 07-13-2019 10:41 AM

LOL ! I can relate ! I can't remember why all my fingers are wrapped up in those strings.