The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Windshield Wiper Conversion (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272454)

Superhart 11-10-2019 06:52 PM

Windshield Wiper Conversion

I bought a 1930 5-window coupe street rod, Chevy powered, with manual operated windshield wiper. The windshield does tilt outward. I would like to convert the manual wiper setup to an original type electric wiper. I cannot seem to find any info on such a conversion. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has done this conversion. I needed a replacement wiper blade for the manual unit but every place I checked only list vacuum or electric wiper blades. My blade is 9.5” long.

Bob C 11-10-2019 07:05 PM

Re: Windshield Wiper Conversion

Here you go. https://modelastore.com/windshield-w...roduct_id=6678

Bob

Superhart 11-11-2019 09:12 PM

Thank you, Bob. However, since I have a manually operated wiper, it looks like I would need to drill mounting holes in the windshield frame to mount the motor and rout the wiring. The kit you sent the link for is to replace a vacuum system and mounts in the original holes. I still would like to hear from someone who has converted manual to electric. I want to be sure there are no hidden worries drilling into the frame and how the wiring should be routed to the inside of the vehicle. I would still need to mount a switch on the dash. Just looking for input from someone who has already pulled off this conversion.

Thanks again for your reply.

Bob C 11-11-2019 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the mounting holes for the different wiper motors.

Bob

Superhart 11-12-2019 10:47 AM

Thanks so much. Things are beginning to clear up. Too bad the diagram doesn't provide spacing measurements. I will have to purchase the kit and make up a drilling template. The only hole I now have is the single hole for the hand operated wiper shaft which does align with the notch in the header panel. Now I understand that the wiring passes through a drilled hole in the windshield frame to the inside of the car.

chrs1961815 11-12-2019 01:16 PM

Got to have a drill press or mill for the holes.

1931 flamingo 11-12-2019 03:44 PM

FYI A 30 closed car never had a hand operated wiper.................
Paul in CT

Superhart 11-21-2019 09:55 AM

Thanks for all the info posted thus far. All I know is that the street rod I bought is registered as a 1930 5 window coupe and came with hand operated wiper installed on a tilting windshield. I want to convert to an electric wiper and hope to find someone who has done this same conversion so I can pick their brain. Anyone?????

Tacoma Bob 11-21-2019 10:55 AM

A picture would be helpful.Sorry my computer skills are limited with doing attachments. Google Berts Model "A" parts in Denver. They offer a very nice after market electric wiper. Be careful as many offered often don't allow the windshield to open. This one does. Sounds like whoever did your build took the easy way out.

CarlG 11-21-2019 01:26 PM

My '31 Bud Cab Pickup came to me with a hand wiper. The rubber was completely rotted so I bought a replacement from one of the vendors. That didn't work either.

I then took everything off and plugged the hole. Purchased an electric wiper system from Newport Engineering. Perfect fit and works like a champ. This even gave me a wiper for the passenger side as well, which my wife appreciates a lot.

This would be perfect for your installation, especially since you have quite a bit that's not stock anyway.